• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Next????

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks, right?

It burns and hurts and just plain blows. Sadly, it is not a new feeling for us either. I think that it is too early to really step back and analyze what everybody thinks is the best idea for the next steps for the Capitals, but I figured I would set up this thread to use as a template for future discussion in the offseason.

Front Office

Bruce Boudreau
George McPhee

Forwards
Name, Cap Number rounded up, year signed through

Alex Ovechkin, 9.6m, 2021
Nicklas Backstrom, 6.7m, 2020
Alex Semin, 6.7m, 2012
Mike Knuble, 2m, 2012
Eric Fehr, 2.2m, 2012
Jason Chimera, 1.9m, 2012
Marcus Johansson, 0.9m, 2013
D.J. King, 0.7m, 2012
Matt Hendricks, 0.9m, 2013
Jay Beagle, 0.6m, 2012

Our UFAs
Name, last season salary
Jason Arnott, 4.5m
Marco Sturm, 3.5m
Brooks Laich, 2.1m
Matt Bradley, 1m
Boyd Gordon .8m

Defensemen
Mike Green, 5.3m, 2012
Dennis Wideman, 4.0m, 2012
Tom Poti, 2.9m, 2013
Jeff Schultz, 2.8m, 2014
John Erskine, 1.5m, 2013
John Carlson, .9m, 2012
Tyler Sloan, .7m, 2012

Our UFAs
Scott Hannan, 4.5m
Sean Collins, 0.7m

Our RFA
Karl ALzner, 1.7m

Goalies
Michael Neuvirth, 1.2m, 2013

Our RFA
Semyon Varlamov, .9m

More information about other prospects (Perrault, Holtby etc..) can be seen here:

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NHL Salary Cap Charts

In addition, we are finally out from under the Nylander hit :D

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Front Office

Bruce Boudreau (McPhee says he's staying....)
George McPhee

Forwards
Name, Cap Number rounded up, year signed through

Alex Ovechkin, 9.6m, 2021
Nicklas Backstrom, 6.7m, 2020
Alex Semin, 6.7m, 2012- Trade with someone
Mike Knuble, 2m, 2012- Don't like what he said after game 3, and he's really getting up there in age, but I think that he's going to stay because he was extended earlier this season.
Eric Fehr, 2.2m, 2012
Jason Chimera, 1.9m, 2012
Marcus Johansson, 0.9m, 2013
D.J. King, 0.7m, 2012-stick his ass in the minors or just cut him I don't care, just get his sorry ass of this team
Matt Hendricks, 0.9m, 2013
Jay Beagle, 0.6m, 2012

Our UFAs
Name, last season salary
Jason Arnott, 4.5m-Think he retires
Marco Sturm, 3.5m-Not unless he's under .8m, then maybe
Brooks Laich, 2.1m-Have to resign Brooksie no doubt
Matt Bradley, 1m-Good guy, and with the way that Hendricks played towards the end of the season, he should be on this team. I could see GMGM wanting to give Beagle a chance though...
Boyd Gordon .8m-With Steckel gone, Boyd is needed

Defensemen
Mike Green, 5.3m, 2012
Dennis Wideman, 4.0m, 2012
Tom Poti, 2.9m, 2013Think it'll be between him and Wideman, and I think Poti is the one who gets traded
Jeff Schultz, 2.8m, 2014
John Erskine, 1.5m, 2013
John Carlson, .9m, 2012
Tyler Sloan, .7m, 2012-see DJ King

Our UFAs
Scott Hannan, 4.5m-It all depends on how much he would be getting, but we would have 7 damn good D men if we did sign him and traded poti
Sean Collins, 0.7m 8th/7th D-man

Our RFA
Karl ALzner, 1.7m-No Brainer, hope Karl is nice with the amount he wants

Goalies
Michael Neuvirth, 1.2m, 2013

Our RFA
Semyon Varlamov, .9m-Varly is tricky. Personally I think we should wait and see if there is going to be an offer sheet placed on him, and if its anything more than 1.5m, let him go. He's too injury prone I believe. Varly's agent has also threatened to play in the KHL next season which I would be okay with I think because the caps would retain his rights if he came back to the NHL. Alot to think about with him. Is he ever going to stay healthy? Is Holtby ready? Is Neuvy worthy of being "the guy"?

BOLD= gone
UNDERLINED=Maybe gone
BOLD&UNDERLINE Resign/Extend

Way early, I know, but if I were to make a lineup, this is what it'd be

OV-Backstrom-Liach/_____
Liach/_____-Mojo-Knuble
Chimera-Perreault-Fehr
Hendricks-Gordon-Beagle

Carlson-Alzner
Green-Schutz
Widemen-Erskine

Neuvy
Holtby

(_____ is who we get from the Semin trade)

Anyway, that's my take real early into the offseason

Last edited by a moderator:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though they are saying BB is staying, I'd be shocked if he does. I truly believe you guys just need a different perspective to work from. He did a great job, but just doesn't have the ability to get that last piece to the puzzle. The talent is definitely there. Aside from a few minor moves on the roster, the true offseason move should be getting a new coach.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thought is to give BB a full season with the defensive system. The fact that GMGM said he is staying means that he is staying. GMGM isn't someone to just flat out lie. GMGM is loyal to BB, maybe too much but that is up for argument. After the comments made, I'd be shocked if BB is gone....

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonsis was on the radio today and said that GMGM is definitely not going anywhere, that the decision on Boudreau is up to GMGM, and that he doesn't think Boudreau is going anywhere.

I'd say we are at about a 90% chance of Boudreau returning next year - right or wrong.

I mostly agree with what you've said. I think the big signings are getting back Laich and Alzner. These need to happen and I think both will. Laich loves this team, his mates, and Boudreau. Alzner has always played with Carlson. Both will probably get fair deals, but I think both have a ton of incentive to stay and I don't think either guy is a money first guy. I think both have the attitude of give me a fair deal and I'd love to be here.

I think you HAVE to trade Alex Semin. I know we joke about it, but some of the issues with this team seem to be about attitude. Semin is so apathetic and enigmatic that I don't even care if we take a step back in talent at his position. He's paid too much to score a hat trick one night and then disappear for 3-10 games. It's not worth it. And there are plenty of teams he could go to where he would be both a fan draw and the most talented player on their offense in an instant. The Isles come to mind.

The next big thing is we are overstocked on defense. If you want to keep Hannan, you have to move Poti (who's a big wild card) or Schultz. Because of the cap and room, I think 1 of those 3 will be gone. They'll either keep Poti and Schultz and let Hannan go, or they'll deal one of the other two.

If you can unload say Semin and Poti/Schultz, you have plenty of cap space to play in the free agent market with the guys you need to fill out your forwards.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonsis was on the radio today and said that GMGM is definitely not going anywhere, that the decision on Boudreau is up to GMGM, and that he doesn't think Boudreau is going anywhere.

I'd say we are at about a 90% chance of Boudreau returning next year - right or wrong.

I mostly agree with what you've said. I think the big signings are getting back Laich and Alzner. These need to happen and I think both will. Laich loves this team, his mates, and Boudreau. Alzner has always played with Carlson. Both will probably get fair deals, but I think both have a ton of incentive to stay and I don't think either guy is a money first guy. I think both have the attitude of give me a fair deal and I'd love to be here.

I think you HAVE to trade Alex Semin. I know we joke about it, but some of the issues with this team seem to be about attitude. Semin is so apathetic and enigmatic that I don't even care if we take a step back in talent at his position. He's paid too much to score a hat trick one night and then disappear for 3-10 games. It's not worth it. And there are plenty of teams he could go to where he would be both a fan draw and the most talented player on their offense in an instant. The Isles come to mind.

The next big thing is we are overstocked on defense. If you want to keep Hannan, you have to move Poti (who's a big wild card) or Schultz. Because of the cap and room, I think 1 of those 3 will be gone. They'll either keep Poti and Schultz and let Hannan go, or they'll deal one of the other two.

If you can unload say Semin and Poti/Schultz, you have plenty of cap space to play in the free agent market with the guys you need to fill out your forwards.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I was looking at things, and I really couldn't think of any other teams that would trade for semin except the Kings. If we could get Dustin Brown + a prospect +/ pick for Semin + Pick/Schutlz, I'd be very happy. Fairly certain they won't trade Brown, but it's good to dream. Other names that the Caps could get from the Kings would be Jarret Stoll or Ryan Smyth. The more I look at it, the more I don't think Semin gets moved