• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What moves should your team make this off season?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple thread, list your team and discuss what needs your team has and what kind of moves they could make in the off season to address those needs.

I'll start with the Miami Heat (Bk, Flauge unless he's really off SportsHoopla for 3 months, heatles, avalon, turnup, etc. feel free to chime in for Miami as well)

Top needs
1) A big man that can rebound, is agile and is not a complete stiff
2) A wing that can guard multiple positions and can hit the 3
3) A point guard that knows how to run an offense

1. Best big men options that are within Miami's price range
- Jordan Hill
- Spencer Hawes
- Emeka Okafor

Gortat would of course be my preferred option to add to the Miami roster, but I think he would command too much money. I like Jordan Hill as a cheap option. This guy just works on the boards. He could be a very nice 20-25 min a guy off the bench. Spencer Hawes is a great option too. The guy can rebound, score, shoot the 3, is agile, and can also pass real well. Will depend on how much money he demands.

As for Okafor, if he's willing to accept a 1 year vets min prove it deal...I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him like we did Oden

2. Best wing options that are within Miami's price range
- Not Melo
- Trevor Ariza
- Mike Miller

- Marvin Williams/Thabo Sefolosha/Shawn Marion

I think Ariza would be perfect. He's a lengthy wing man, a good man to man defender, and shoots the 3 well. Mike Miller would be great as well. The guy is lethal from 3 and while he's not as good a defender as Ariza is...he's very versatile and is one of the most underrated rebounders at his position. Marvin, Thabo, and Marion are decent options only if it's at a cheap contract.

3. Best point guard options that are within Miami's price range
- Greivis Vasquez
- Kyle Lowry
- Draft Shabazz Napier

I think Greivis Vasquez is a very underrated point guard and play maker. I would love him on the Heat. He's exactly what we need. Kyle Lowry is essentially Rio but a better passer. He'd probably command too much money though. I assume Toronto would lock him up long term. As for Napier, if he's there for us at 31 I say take him. I'm afraid he'd be gone long before that.

My predictions for this off season will be Lebron, Dwade, and Bosh will all opt out but do it to resign at a reasonable price. Dwade will resign for 5 years 60 mil (12 mil per), Lebron will resign for 5 years 80 mil (16 mil per), and Bosh will resign for 5 years 75 mil (15 mil per). I also think Haslem will opt out of his 5 mil and instead sign a 3 year 7 mil (2.3 mil per).

That would make 45 mil + Cole's 2 mil would be 47 mil. The projected salary cap is 63.7 mil. Which leaves Miami about 16 mil or so to play with. The sexy move that every media outlet would love to see is to sign Melo. I don't think that's a good fit or a good use of money. I say land Ariza, Hawes, and Vasquez. That upgrades our wing defense with Battier retiring, it upgrades our rebounding without crippling our team speed, and lastly it adds a point guard who can actually run an offense.

Our lineup would look like this

PG - Vasquez
SG - Wade
SF - Lebron
PF - Chris Bosh
C - Spencer Hawes

Bench
- Ariza
- Cole
- Rashard
- Bird
- Haslem
- Jones

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrealistic but possible: Trade our 14 & 16 picks to move up to the 8/9th slot and use that pick to package up with Bledsoe and Frye for Kevin Love. Then go hard after LeBron. I mean, with Dragic and Love on board LeBron would have to be intrigued. We do have the best training staff in the league as well... plus we have quality role players that he didn't have in Miami such as Markieff Morris, Gerald Green, Miles Plumlee & young up and coming talent like Archie Goodwin and Alex Len and three first rounders in the 2015 draft (we own LA's, MIN's and our own). Coming to PHX would set him up for success NOW and in the long run.

More realistic: Trade up to the 8/9 spot as I mentioned before and take one of Vonleh, Gordon or Randle. Adding one of those three bigs to our current core would be exciting.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot Tub Time Machine for Kobe

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot Tub Time Machine for Kobe

Miami will be fighting you for it as we need it for Wade.

Also, as far as wings goes; Miami cannot get Mike Miller back. It's part of the stipulations of players who are amnestied. They cannot rejoin the team during the duration of their contract. If Mike Miller were to want to come back for the 2015-2016 season, then he could. But by then, he'd likely retire.

I do like the other options. I think Miami needs to go after Shabazz Napier in the draft. He has high upside and I saw him in the NCAA tourney - the kid can flat out play.

Miami needs more youth on the wing (which Ariza can fit, and we could also see how James Ennis developed in Australia). After seeing the Spurs with all of their international players, I'm eager to see how Ennis faired over there.

Jordan Hill would be my pick for center. He'd be a cheaper option, and the guy's a beast on the boards. But this is all predicated on what the Big 3 do.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With only 4 players under contract, the Lakers need everything including a coach.

I'd like to see them re-sign Jordan Hill, Swaggy P, Farmar, Bazemore, Kelly and maybe 1 or 2 other guys from last years team. While I didn't think last years team was going to be winning any titles or anything, they were young, athletic and showed some potential. With better health and a star player to lead them, they could have had a much better season than they did.

I expect that they will make a very attractive offer to Lebron. I also expect that he will stay in Miami. As for the coach? They are going to see what direction they are most likely to take the roster before they hire one, but Byron Scott seems to be the frontrunner.

Pau is an FA and I would love for the Lakers to retain him. He loves the Lakers and would prefer to remain a Laker, but he also knows that he's coming up to the end of his career, would like another ring or 2 and would take less money for that chance. For him to remain a Laker, they would have to be able to convince him that they can contend within the next couple of years. Probably a 25% chance that he stays a Laker.

Oh, and that hot tub time machine thing for Kobe that wildturkey mentioned and toss Nash into it with him. :lol:

GeauxBaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S&T for Greg Monroe and/or get a 1st round draft pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With only 4 players under contract, the Lakers need everything including a coach.

I'd like to see them re-sign Jordan Hill, Swaggy P, Farmar, Bazemore, Kelly and maybe 1 or 2 other guys from last years team. While I didn't think last years team was going to be winning any titles or anything, they were young, athletic and showed some potential. With better health and a star player to lead them, they could have had a much better season than they did.

I expect that they will make a very attractive offer to Lebron. I also expect that he will stay in Miami. As for the coach? They are going to see what direction they are most likely to take the roster before they hire one, but Byron Scott seems to be the frontrunner.

Pau is an FA and I would love for the Lakers to retain him. He loves the Lakers and would prefer to remain a Laker, but he also knows that he's coming up to the end of his career, would like another ring or 2 and would take less money for that chance. For him to remain a Laker, they would have to be able to convince him that they can contend within the next couple of years. Probably a 25% chance that he stays a Laker.

Oh, and that hot tub time machine thing for Kobe that wildturkey mentioned and toss Nash into it with him. :lol:

I don't follow them like I once did, but a fan since (Kareem came back to Socal)... I really think the Lakers need to quit clinging to Gasol...with a legit 5 like they had (kinda, sorta with the oft injured kid) Pau is a pretty good 4...I would've made the deal for Josh Smith some time ago, but I think Kup or somebody thought too much of Gasol.

This is going to be interesting...the team is fairly young (w/o Kobe/Nash & Pau), and they showed some moxie at times LY...how will they blend the existing talent with a fairly high draft pick and Kobe? Unfortunately, I don't see the Lakers being relevant again under Kobe's last 2 years barring a major deal that I don't see on the horizon yet...hopefully Kup has something up his sleeve.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow them like I once did, but a fan since (Kareem came back to Socal)... I really think the Lakers need to quit clinging to Gasol...with a legit 5 like they had (kinda, sorta with the oft injured kid) Pau is a pretty good 4...I would've made the deal for Josh Smith some time ago, but I think Kup or somebody thought too much of Gasol.

This is going to be interesting...the team is fairly young (w/o Kobe/Nash & Pau), and they showed some moxie at times LY...how will they blend the existing talent with a fairly high draft pick and Kobe? Unfortunately, I don't see the Lakers being relevant again under Kobe's last 2 years barring a major deal that I don't see on the horizon yet...hopefully Kup has something up his sleeve.

Yeah, the problem with Gasol is that he can still be a very productive player for at least a couple of years because of his overall skill set. A big with his skills is very hard to come by. Having said that, he is an older player on a team that is looking to get younger and more athletic. Depending on what direction they take the roster, Pau could be very valuable at the 4 spot.

As much as I hate to help the bastards, I agree with retro that Pau would be a very good fit in Miami.

If the Lakers somehow convince Lebron to come to L.A., I think Pau re-signs and the Lakers become contenders right away. Since that is extremely unlikely to happen, I agree that they are unlikely to contend until Kobe retires. They might make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed (assuming Kobe comes back to close to what he was before the injuries), but they are probably looking at 2016-17 at the earliest to be contenders again.

Then again, we've seen Mitch pull of some pretty solid deals, so who knows? It's both exciting and nerve wracking to think about the different directions that they can take this team.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. CONVINCE Tim Duncan to not retire
2. Sign Tim Duncan to a reasonably priced 2 year extension that frees up more cash
3. Let Matt Bonner walk
4. That should free up enough cash for the following 3 things

5. Sign Patty Mills
6. Sign Boris Diaw
7. Add a quality veteran 3 point shooter cheap, Bonner would do if he takes a pay cut

Those are all very reasonable moves.
None are particularly challenging.
The Spurs should win 56-64 games and contend again.

The only wrench would be if another team makes an insane offer for Patty Mills. Boris Diaw is not going anywhere as he wants be with his friend Tony Parker. Mills might chase money...but is unlikely if SA offers him a fair deal.

Corey Joseph is a decent young prospect. The Spurs have developed him very slowly. I am not sure they panic and resign a veteran PG if Mills leaves. They might just upgrade CJ.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. CONVINCE Tim Duncan to not retire
2. Sign Tim Duncan to a reasonably priced 2 year extension that frees up more cash
3. Let Matt Bonner walk
4. That should free up enough cash for the following 3 things

5. Sign Patty Mills
6. Sign Boris Diaw
7. Add a quality veteran 3 point shooter cheap, Bonner would do if he takes a pay cut

Those are all very reasonable moves.
None are particularly challenging.
The Spurs should win 56-64 games and contend again.

The only wrench would be if another team makes an insane offer for Patty Mills. Boris Diaw is not going anywhere as he wants be with his friend Tony Parker. Mills might chase money...but is unlikely if SA offers him a fair deal.

Corey Joseph is a decent young prospect. The Spurs have developed him very slowly. I am not sure they panic and resign a veteran PG if Mills leaves. They might just upgrade CJ.

And look no further than Patty Mills to see the Spurs ability to do just that. In last years finals he was "Fatty" Mills a non-factor. In this years finals, you could make a case for him as MVP.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic,
You obviously put a lot of thought into this already.
I really haven't, so for me to comment would be premature.

My 1 question though, is why no Beasley?
Statistically per 36, his numbers rank near Bosh.
He is young and athletic. 2 qualities we need on our roster.
For a minimum salary, the man is a steal.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The KNICKS are expressing big time interest in Mills.

The Spurs will attempt to re-sign him fairly, but they won't break the bank for a backup PG.

Tony Parker has another decent season or two left in him, there is not a panic to get Mills.

Cory Joseph will do fine if the Knick decide to pay Mills well above his value

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Pop step down if Duncan retires?

Grizzlies
Re-sign Zbo if possible. Otherwise make a move on Pau and spend money elsewhere
Re-sign Mike Miller
Pickup Trevor Ariza

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors will sign both Lowry and Vasquez.

Sign a good vet wing to come off bench behing Ross

Sign another big man to give some depth (birdman)

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a bench.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The KNICKS are expressing big time interest in Mills.

The Spurs will attempt to re-sign him fairly, but they won't break the bank for a backup PG.

Tony Parker has another decent season or two left in him, there is not a panic to get Mills.

Cory Joseph will do fine if the Knick decide to pay Mills well above his value

I wouldn't worry too much if the Spurs lose Mills. They've shown the ability to plug in many players into their system and have success. Mills can be replaced.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the problem with Gasol is that he can still be a very productive player for at least a couple of years because of his overall skill set. A big with his skills is very hard to come by. Having said that, he is an older player on a team that is looking to get younger and more athletic. Depending on what direction they take the roster, Pau could be very valuable at the 4 spot.

As much as I hate to help the bastards, I agree with retro that Pau would be a very good fit in Miami.

If the Lakers somehow convince Lebron to come to L.A., I think Pau re-signs and the Lakers become contenders right away. Since that is extremely unlikely to happen, I agree that they are unlikely to contend until Kobe retires. They might make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed (assuming Kobe comes back to close to what he was before the injuries), but they are probably looking at 2016-17 at the earliest to be contenders again.

Then again, we've seen Mitch pull of some pretty solid deals, so who knows? It's both exciting and nerve wracking to think about the different directions that they can take this team.

Lebron...as much as I would like to see the Lakers win another title...I just don't see that happening either...Honestly...to mix with young guys, I wouldn't mind seeing Ariza back with an 80% Kobe, whatever Nash has left and at that point Gasol makes sense...I think they are a contender again...with LBJ I think they would be favorites!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic,
You obviously put a lot of thought into this already.
I really haven't, so for me to comment would be premature.

My 1 question though, is why no Beasley?
Statistically per 36, his numbers rank near Bosh.
He is young and athletic. 2 qualities we need on our roster.
For a minimum salary, the man is a steal.

Oh I like Beasley and would welcome him back on the Miami roster at the right price. I just don't see Beasley as the kind of guy to take another min contract with very limited playing time if another team offers him a decent/good contract and a bigger role.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota should just announce they have become a D league team!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here high on Bledsoe? Does he have the potential to be a poor mans Westbrook?