• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What free agents will LA even get in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montsho, there was nothing altruistic above LBJ's move. No one told him to attend any TV show that left his fan base waiting till the last minute. You may be afraid of what he will do next, but rest assured, its in him to surprise everyone. Live by the sword, die by it. Its what he is, and thats the best player, seeking fame and fortune. Somebody is lining up to make him a deal he wont refuse, especially if its strokes his ego. I hate the Lakers, but I respect that most likely, they have already started building a proposition that he may not be able to refuse............................hollywood

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montsho, there was nothing altruistic above LBJ's move. No one told him to attend any TV show that left his fan base waiting till the last minute. You may be afraid of what he will do next, but rest assured, its in him to surprise everyone. Live by the sword, die by it. Its what he is, and thats the best player, seeking fame and fortune. Somebody is lining up to make him a deal he wont refuse, especially if its strokes his ego. I hate the Lakers, but I respect that most likely, they have already started building a proposition that he may not be able to refuse............................hollywood

Lebron or no Lebron, the Lakers were gearing up for the 2014 free agent class and possibly the 2015 free agent class. It is no coincidence that everyone's contract was scheduled to be up at the same time.

The opportunity to get Dwight was actually a sidetrack from what the plan has been all along, which was to re-build through free agency in 2014 and 2015!!

Trading for Dwight was an opportunity to possibly re-build without ever being out of contention for a title. It didn't work out that way, so now the Lakers revert back to the original plan that was set up by Dr. Buss when all of these players were signed to have their contracts all expire at the same time!!

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron or no Lebron, the Lakers were gearing up for the 2014 free agent class and possibly the 2015 free agent class. It is no coincidence that everyone's contract was scheduled to be up at the same time.

The opportunity to get Dwight was actually a sidetrack from what the plan has been all along, which was to re-build through free agency in 2014 and 2015!!

Trading for Dwight was an opportunity to possibly re-build without ever being out of contention for a title. It didn't work out that way, so now the Lakers revert back to the original plan that was set up by Dr. Buss when all of these players were signed to have their contracts all expire at the same time!!

But can short buss actually pull it off is the question.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But can short buss actually pull it off is the question.

:agree: This is the question, no doubt!! As a Laker fan, I am hopeful that the blue print that was set up by Dr. Buss is what will be followed and the circus we just witnessed was merely the attempt at not going through a couple down seasons that I suggested.

However, I doubt that being on the 3rd coach in 3 years and disrespecting Phil the way that Short Buss did was part of the plan, so we'll see!!

Gonna be very interesting in Lakerland over the next couple of seasons, that's for sure!!

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, there are no franchise changing free agents out there in 14 or 15...............except LBJ. The Lakers have no assets to rebuild except through FA. That means one thing, it now rides on the Lebron deal. The Lakers will offer him the world, and I do suspect he will accept it. Can the Knicks sweep in?

This subject will consumer Miami and LA by March 2014

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, there are no franchise changing free agents out there in 14 or 15...............except LBJ. The Lakers have no assets to rebuild except through FA. That means one thing, it now rides on the Lebron deal. The Lakers will offer him the world, and I do suspect he will accept it. Can the Knicks sweep in?

How in the world can the Lakers offer Lebron "the world". The new CBA allows Miami to offer him a 5th year of a max contract as opposed to the Lakers. Miami has now proven that they can put a team around Lebron to help him succeed, while the Lakers are dealing with the ego of Jim Buss. Also the Heat are on the verge of a luxurious deal with Fox as well which will even further entice Lebron to stay with the Heat along with the relationships forged with Wade and Riley.

Miami Heat On Verge Of Blockbuster Television Deal - Forbes

The big thing that stands in the way isn't the health of Wade, but how Wade himself can transform his game. He knows he needs to focus more on being a jump shooter. Lebron came to Miami to win titles. He knows two titles are ok, but if he's going to be compared to MJ and Magic on a regular basis then two just isn't going to cut it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Judging by what some of the Heat posters are doing (see Heatles post above), they are already consumed by the possibility!!:lol:

Actually, the Lakers do apparently still have their 1st round pick for 2014 (I thought that they didn't but was corrected on another thread) and that is supposed to be a pretty deep class. Also, if they don't get Lebron, they can sign some very solid free agents some of whom can be packaged in a trade or 2!!

Ultimately, we'll see what happens over the next couple of seasons, but I doubt GM's around the league are looking forward to having to deal with the Lakers having lots of money to spend!!

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by what some of the Heat posters are doing (see Heatles post above), they are already consumed by the possibility!!:lol:

Actually, the Lakers do apparently still have their 1st round pick for 2014 (I thought that they didn't but was corrected on another thread) and that is supposed to be a pretty deep class. Also, if they don't get Lebron, they can sign some very solid free agents some of whom can be packaged in a trade or 2!!

Ultimately, we'll see what happens over the next couple of seasons, but I doubt GM's around the league are looking forward to having to deal with the Lakers having lots of money to spend!!

I got suckered into a poster who has absolutely no idea on how the CBA works. Or knows what Lebron is thinking at this moment. I can't wait until football season starts. I hate this down time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world can the Lakers offer Lebron "the world". The new CBA allows Miami to offer him a 5th year of a max contract as opposed to the Lakers. Miami has now proven that they can put a team around Lebron to help him succeed, while the Lakers are dealing with the ego of Jim Buss. Also the Heat are on the verge of a luxurious deal with Fox as well which will even further entice Lebron to stay with the Heat along with the relationships forged with Wade and Riley.

Miami Heat On Verge Of Blockbuster Television Deal - Forbes

The big thing that stands in the way isn't the health of Wade, but how Wade himself can transform his game. He knows he needs to focus more on being a jump shooter. Lebron came to Miami to win titles. He knows two titles are ok, but if he's going to be compared to MJ and Magic on a regular basis then two just isn't going to cut it.

The Lakers have a much longer history of putting teams around superstars that can help them win. Yes, the Heat can offer an extra year, but I doubt Lebron takes it if it means a re-build. Do you think Lebron is going to take less money again to stay with the Heat? Doesn't D-Wade have a rather large player option coming up? Do you think he'll turn that down?

The Heat may be on the verge of a "luxurious deal with Fox", but the Lakers already have a $5 billion deal with Time-Warner!!

As for MJ/Magic comparisons, one of the big criticisms of Lebron is that he had to leave Cleveland and go join D-Wade and Bosh to get to his rings!! And much of that came directly from MJ and Magic!!

If he went to the Lakers with only a 41 year old Steve Nash on the roster, has the team built around him and wins championships, it removes that criticism!!

And before you say that Lebron doesn't care about the criticism, he should probably stop talking about it!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got suckered into a poster who has absolutely no idea on how the CBA works. Or knows what Lebron is thinking at this moment. I can't wait until football season starts. I hate this down time.

:lol: Just having a little fun with ya!! Your post coming right after the previous made it too much for me to pass up!!

I agree 100% about this dead time between the end of basketball and the start of football!!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see the Decision as narcissistic personally. He didn't seek out ESPN, they came to him with the idea of donating the proceeds to charity. Just the fact he left the Cavs for the Heat really goes against that idea to me. He is actually saying he is not enough to get the job done alone. He needed help and he went to where that help was. If he was narcissistic he would have stayed and blamed it on everything else but himself while commanding the largest contract in the league and not winning anything

I don't either but everyone needs to understand that two things are important to a player

Money

Championships

Those two usually work together - get onto a winning team that wins championships usually equals more money, but I have seen a few players take more money even though it meant not winning a championship. Most likely they were led to believe it would lead to a championship though

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have a much longer history of putting teams around superstars that can help them win. Yes, the Heat can offer an extra year, but I doubt Lebron takes it if it means a re-build. Do you think Lebron is going to take less money again to stay with the Heat? Doesn't D-Wade have a rather large player option coming up? Do you think he'll turn that down?

The Heat may be on the verge of a "luxurious deal with Fox", but the Lakers already have a $5 billion deal with Time-Warner!!

As for MJ/Magic comparisons, one of the big criticisms of Lebron is that he had to leave Cleveland and go join D-Wade and Bosh to get to his rings!! And much of that came directly from MJ and Magic!!

If he went to the Lakers with only a 41 year old Steve Nash on the roster, has the team built around him and wins championships, it removes that criticism!!

And before you say that Lebron doesn't care about the criticism, he should probably stop talking about it!!

Wait...what...how are the Heat in "rebuilding mode" in 2014!?

How are the Lakers a more attractive place to go when THEY are the team that is in complete rebuilding mode...we're not talking Cleveland to LA here...where the market difference is a wide margin...we're talking Miami to LA...while I do agree that LA is the more prestigious franchise...what does LA have to offer outside of their prestige that year that would persuade lebron to leave a franchise that he has won multiple championships with?

There are no free agents of the caliber of Wade and Bosh available in 2013 that LA could lure to come join forces with Lebron to form a formidable team that would be attractive enough for Lebron to leave.

Too many posters are living in fantasy land thinking a player coming off multiple championships would leave a franchise that still has their all stars, has a history of winning and a history of drawing in free agents

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either but everyone needs to understand that two things are important to a player

Money

Championships

Those two usually work together - get onto a winning team that wins championships usually equals more money, but I have seen a few players take more money even though it meant not winning a championship. Most likely they were led to believe it would lead to a championship though

Lebron is set with money. His brand alone with Nike and any future commercials and endorsement he does will more than make up for the 2-3 mil he has given up to play with Miami

You are forgetting one important thing though...

And that's Legacy

Your regular all star player might not value legacy as much...but the all time greats like Lebron...Kobe...etc their legacy is of great importance

For the longest...people thought Lebron had ruined his legacy by going to Miami...but now we see that his choice was the correct one...his future in Cleveland offered him very little...and his future in Miami offered him a chance at multiple titles

So now that he's cemented his legacy in Miami...and fixed his once tarnished image...it would be very dumb for him to once again hop to a different team to try to win a ring

IF he did that...then his legacy will go down as the player that "chased" after rings hopping from one team to another. That is NOT a legacy that Lebron would want.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll address each of your points in order as I do agree with you.

The Lakers have an excellent history of putting title teams together, that's not the issue. However, as you and other Lakers fans point out, it's a new era. Jim Buss has already fucked up enough times being in charge then Dr. Buss has during his entire tenure as the Lakers owner. This was evident when he recently turned down an 11-time championship coach in Phil to go with D'Antoni who has to constantly google the term "defense". If Jeanie takes over and Phil's the coach, then I start to worry.

Lebron won't take less money this time around. This was only needed so that the Heat could sign some other veteran players to play alongside the big 3 (Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem). I don't know what Wade and Bosh will do, but they no longer command the max salaries that they're getting.....well maybe Wade still does, but Bosh might want to think long and hard about opting out and signing a new contract. But who knows what will happen. I can honestly say that Wade will stay in Miami, he's not going anywhere.

The Lakers do have that deal and I'm fully aware of it. I'm just mentioning the deal that Miami is on the verge of, as other posters keep mentioning that the Lakers can throw anything at Lebron. Last I checked, Lebron's doing alright on the endorsement track.

The Magic/MJ comparisons are premature. If we're comparing resumes right now then Lebron doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the aforementioned players. But the dude is only 28 and I doubt he finishes with just two titles. Having to leave Cleveland was a no-brainer. No one is ever going to win there. It takes multiple stars to win and Cleveland is not going to be able to attract the talent needed. As much as people keep mentioning Wade breaking down, last I checked Kyrie Irving isn't exactly Mr. Dependable himself. That guy has probably already missed more games in his career then Wade has and has far more injury issues.

No offense, but Lebron isn't going to win with a 41-year old Nash. I don't care who they put on that team. Unless Nash was only making the mid-level....which I seriously still wonder why he's making $9 mil this season.

Lebron probably doesn't care about the criticism as much, but it still probably irritates him. His endorsements are set on a global level. He knows the only thing left to do in his career is rack up titles. Having Riley in your front office means you'll have the chance to get some pieces around you.

On another note, wouldn't it do more for your legacy to create a dynasty as opposed to adding on to it? Jordan did it with the Bulls and put them on the map, as did Duncan with the Spurs. But who knows? I don't know what's going to happen. I'm just looking forward to having the opportunity to see my team go for the 3-peat. Me being a Dolphins, Panthers and Marlins fan, I can honestly say this is all I got in sports to really look forward to outside of CFB.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron is set with money. His brand alone with Nike and any future commercials and endorsement he does will more than make up for the 2-3 mil he has given up to play with Miami

You are forgetting one important thing though...

And that's Legacy

Your regular all star player might not value legacy as much...but the all time greats like Lebron...Kobe...etc their legacy is of great importance

For the longest...people thought Lebron had ruined his legacy by going to Miami...but now we see that his choice was the correct one...his future in Cleveland offered him very little...and his future in Miami offered him a chance at multiple titles

So now that he's cemented his legacy in Miami...and fixed his once tarnished image...it would be very dumb for him to once again hop to a different team to try to win a ring

IF he did that...then his legacy will go down as the player that "chased" after rings hopping from one team to another. That is NOT a legacy that Lebron would want.

I personally think Lakers fans are chasing a fantasy in trying to get Lebron. If Miami had lost this year and lost again next year - then mabe depending on Wade, but as long as Wade and Bosh are there - I think those three will stay together. What the Lakers will most likely do is try to copy what Oklahoma has done.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing - I think it's a stretch to think the Heat will be in a rebuild mode by 2014 and far from it - other teams like the Lakers Magic and Kareem, Parker and Duncan survived as much as decade or more and as long as those three players - Wade-Bosh-Lebron are intact - that team is not going anywhere. Might as well face the facts and admit that Pat Riley got really lucky when he cheated to get those three together

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think Lakers fans are chasing a fantasy in trying to get Lebron. If Miami had lost this year and lost again next year - then mabe depending on Wade, but as long as Wade and Bosh are there - I think those three will stay together. What the Lakers will most likely do is try to copy what Oklahoma has done.

I honestly see the Lakers getting Melo though, if you want to talk about a hopeless situation it's the Knicks. But then again, you have Melo vs. D'Antoni part deux. I also think Kevin Love is a realistic option as well for the Lakers as I'm sure he'll eventually bitch and moan his way out of Minnesota at one point. Seems to be the ongoing trend nowadays. But who the F knows what will happen? We still haven't even started training camp yet or wrapped up free agency.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing - I think it's a stretch to think the Heat will be in a rebuild mode by 2014 and far from it - other teams like the Lakers Magic and Kareem, Parker and Duncan survived as much as decade or more and as long as those three players - Wade-Bosh-Lebron are intact - that team is not going anywhere. Might as well face the facts and admit that Pat Riley got really lucky when he cheated to get those three together

You're not willing to cheat then you're not willing to win?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not willing to cheat then you're not willing to win?

Some Laker fans are pretty funny.
For 3 years we have heard the Riley collusion accusations.
Now, Riley has James on his team but Laker fans think he will get blindsided a year from now.

You can bet your ass that Riley is already planning out next summer and that James opinion will be highly regarded in that decision making.

As far as the Lakers, Kevin Love has always made a ton of sense.
UCLA boy going home.

Status
Not open for further replies.