• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What free agents will LA even get in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What free agent in 2014 would want to join a rebuilding project like the LA Lakers?

LA will always have that prestige...but what's prestige if there isn't any talent on the team. ESPN would love a 2014 story with free agents lining up for Kobe's last hoorah at a title...but who would want to go to an LA team with an aging Kobe at the very end of his career?

Bron, Wade, and Bosh aren't going anywhere. Paul George is going to be a restricted free agent, but he seems like the type of player that will sign an extension. Melo...maybe but isn't his heart with New York?

That really only leaves John Wall...Demarcus Cousins...Zach Randolph?

Are those players really going to push LA over the top of OKC, Houston or even LAC?

With some nice moves and signings in 2014...LA can possibly return into playoff contention...but title contention? Probably not for a while. At least not quick enough to get Kobe a 6th ring.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is when does Kobe become a freeagent so we can maybe see where he will go to try and get that 6th ring

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot can and will happen between now and then. The Wizards are expected to offer Wall a max extension this off season. He isn't going anywhere. Wall has also indicated he may be willing to extend for less than the max in order to help the team out.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
svqmi8.jpg

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have an open canvas next year. They can paint it however they want and they will have an edge in painting it because they are the Lakers.

The problem is management desperately trying to color outside the lines end up spilling the bucket of paint everywhere.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call it worrying I just think we enjoy discussing a relative franchise and the possibilities they have next year. It is a great opportunity and perhaps Jerry's last gift to his children.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call it worrying I just think we enjoy discussing a relative franchise and the possibilities they have next year. It is a great opportunity and perhaps Jerry's last gift to his children.

lol, ok. from some of you i might buy that spin, but not all of you. but cool, whatever works...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so when you discuss the Heat it is really worrying?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have an open canvas next year. They can paint it however they want and they will have an edge in painting it because they are the Lakers.

The problem is management desperately trying to color outside the lines end up spilling the bucket of paint everywhere.

This is a great way of putting it. The Lakers have a chance to get a lot of talent, but is their management smart enough to do it? Or will they try to do something different and fail miserably? The Lakers do have abuilt in advantage being in LA, same kind of advantage USC has, but you throw in someone who has no idea what they are doing (Lake Kiffen) and all of a sudden that advantage doesn't matter.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is the only thing that worries me!! Dr. Buss had a blueprint that was the reason why the Lakers have had so much success!! He hired basketball people and let them do their jobs!!

I'm not worried about the Lakers being able to attract talent. They will always be able find top players who are willing to take their money to play in L.A.

The only thing that I worry about is that Short Buss, in his desire to put his own mark on the team, will sign a bunch of high priced talent that can't play well together!!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bron, Wade, and Bosh aren't going anywhere

Wade and Bosh are not going anywhere.

But Lebron is out the door in 2014.
It would be silly for him to stay.
I agree with your premise that he might not go to the Lakers, but he is not going to stay with the HEAT.

The simple math of birth certificates and salary cap hell makes it extraordinarily unlikely.
Forget about Allen, Birdman, Haslem, Battier, and Miller all being 34 or older.
That is only half the problem.

Wade is 32 years old and looks done.
He has a gigantic player option for 20+ million in 2014 for two more years.
No other team is going to give a then 33 year old Wade 40+ million.
Unless Wade loses his mind, he will exercise that option tying up the cap until 2017.

Bosh is 29 and a decent 2nd tier star. But, he also has two years at 20 million player option in 2014. Once again, there is no team that would pay Bosh 20 million today......yet alone with him one year older. Bosh will exercise his option faster than Wade will.

So(unless Hell freezes over), Bosh and Wade will eat up the entire salary cap until 2017 by themselves.

LeBron is the only one of the 3 who can decline his option and still make 20 million elsewhere.

Lebron is not a stupid guy.
Nor does he have any loyalty to Miami to play through bad seasons of rebuilding.

Birth Certificates are undefeated.

But, it still doesn't mean Lebron goes to the Lakers. It just means he likely leaves Miami.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are pretty good points, I hope he does not have loyalty to Miami, I just want him to realize his own legacy should come first.

Of all of them, I bet Wade will understand the most if he leaves but I kind of think he stays.

Would love to see him go to GS? They have the Big, they have the spacing...perfect fit. Cleveland I do not believe will keep enough talent to entice him, plus gilbert still lives there.

Lakers could build a sick team with him but Kobe will have to be out.

You think Kobe wants to play with LBJ?

Brooklyn could be a dark horse here, he loves NY and the Knicks have Melo. But more importantly the Nets will have some freedom in salary cap too.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horn is dead on. Lebron's career is bigger than the Heat or the Cavs. I still say he is going to get to New York , but if any one is to force Laker management to become a player friendly place, it will be done in pursuit of LBJ.

Lakers ownership scares many stars away playing tough ball with them. I cant see them doing that with Lebron. After all, the best free agents are Lebron then Demarcus Cousins. They wont build around cousins, so dysfunctional Buss will try to become super sweet and court LBJ. Posters are going up soon

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look out Rondo's coming to town...:yahoo:

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worried? They're fucking TERRIFIED. :bullshit:
Now why in the world would a Heat fan be terrified of the Lakers? Can you tell me one good reason? You guys just keep telling your self that while we laugh. :laugh3:

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wade and Bosh are not going anywhere.

But Lebron is out the door in 2014.
It would be silly for him to stay.
I agree with your premise that he might not go to the Lakers, but he is not going to stay with the HEAT.

The simple math of birth certificates and salary cap hell makes it extraordinarily unlikely.
Forget about Allen, Birdman, Haslem, Battier, and Miller all being 34 or older.
That is only half the problem.

Wade is 32 years old and looks done.
He has a gigantic player option for 20+ million in 2014 for two more years.
No other team is going to give a then 33 year old Wade 40+ million.
Unless Wade loses his mind, he will exercise that option tying up the cap until 2017.

Bosh is 29 and a decent 2nd tier star. But, he also has two years at 20 million player option in 2014. Once again, there is no team that would pay Bosh 20 million today......yet alone with him one year older. Bosh will exercise his option faster than Wade will.

So(unless Hell freezes over), Bosh and Wade will eat up the entire salary cap until 2017 by themselves.

LeBron is the only one of the 3 who can decline his option and still make 20 million elsewhere.

Lebron is not a stupid guy.
Nor does he have any loyalty to Miami to play through bad seasons of rebuilding.

Birth Certificates are undefeated.

But, it still doesn't mean Lebron goes to the Lakers. It just means he likely leaves Miami.

Pretty good summary of what might happen, and I could see the egos eventually breaking up the team. They almost did this year, but they are back to back champions. There are three things that may keep these guys with the Heat: (1) realization by Lebron and his team that to win you need time to gel (by leaving he may lose a title shot in his initial year with the new club, (2) realization that organizations with proven ownership, GM's and coaches have a lot to say in building a mentality and identity that allow you to win, and (3) the willingness of the Big 3 to sacrifice again and take significant pay cuts -- from 20 million to 15 million or even a little less.

I honestly think whether he stays or leaves depends on what the Heat do next year. Winning 3 in a row and having a chance to win 4 in a row (something Kobe and MJ have not done) will be too big of a draw to pass up playing in Miami. I always thought that this year was somewhat irrelevant to Lebron's 2014 decision along with the Big 3. Also, they will have a chance to leave again in 2015. It could become a yearly drama. Ultimately, it will come down to does the Heat have a chance to be a true dynasty like the Celtics, Lakers and Bulls. If so, I give it more than a 50/50 that these guys who have fought together for 3 straight finals trips give it more time together. As long as all playing and starting and contributing and winning, the party could continue. If any of these are missing, then LBJ bolts. Once you leave your sweetheart, you are more likely to leave again but who really knows.:noidea: We wont have a clue until after the Heat's season ends next year.

We get to enjoy one more year in Miami!:suds:

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now why in the world would a Heat fan be terrified of the Lakers? Can you tell me one good reason? You guys just keep telling your self that while we laugh. :laugh3:

Here, here...This is not the Sr. Buss with Phil Jackson as the coach. This is Jr. Buss with D'Antoni. The Heat are the best franchise in the NBA over the last 7-8 years.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francisco Garcia
Tyler Honeycutt
Jeremy Tyler
Andrew Goudelock

Should be the 4 signed up for as low as can be paid...

Status
Not open for further replies.