• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What ever happened to Dwight Howard?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that requires the other players being good as well?

The Hornets had one other good player on their roster this year.

I think I remember Howard touting around that he was a franchise player and this and that. He left Houston and I never heard of him again.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA did not see a fit for Howard in the storyline to get to GS/Cavs Part IV.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Stick to football bro
Silly to think winning games and making a playoff run goes along with good stats and having a good year.

Like I said, Westbrook had been padding stats for 2 years, and it's gotten him plenty of self satisfying awards. But as a team he has nothing to show for it.

If this was Tennis or Golf, then we could tout his achievements.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard has no skill. He’s just a very big and very athletic guy. When I say very, I mean off the charts kind of athlete. He can posterize bad nba defenders, but he looks like a child when someone can actually body him up. It’s a shame, he could’ve been so much better. It seemed to me like he stopped trying after that finals appearance with the magic.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard has no skill. He’s just a very big and very athletic guy. When I say very, I mean off the charts kind of athlete. He can posterize bad nba defenders, but he looks like a child when someone can actually body him up. It’s a shame, he could’ve been so much better. It seemed to me like he stopped trying after that finals appearance with the magic.
At least he didn't hold a one hour special at the YMCA For local Orlando Youth to announce he was going to Los Angeles. So he does have that going for him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanna know what happened to Dwight Howard?

He happened.....

kobe.jpg

Yep. He said mean things to Dwight and Dwight's been in his safe space ever since.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....

OD just showed he knows nothing about the NBA.

Dwight had a damn good year

I'm an old school BB fan that still likes post play. Not that I was watching every game, but the Hawks games I did watch...DH imo is just another big now for certain. Great NBA body, but no go to low post moves, no mid range jump shot...he can board, he can defend the board, and give you 10-15 pts a night.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he didn't hold a one hour special at the YMCA For local Orlando Youth to announce he was going to Los Angeles. So he does have that going for him.
It was Connecticut not Orlando. Boys and Girls Club not YMCA. And that one hour special raised $2.5 million for charities.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that's the thing with Dwight.

He's got ridiculous talent, but he's never been willing to put in the work to be truly great. So, he puts up a lot of good, but ultimately meaningless, numbers.

When he went to the Lakers, there were 2 aspects of his game that he needed the most help with...a go to post move and free throw shooting.

Kareem gave Dwight his phone number and said that he'd be happy to work with him and show him a few things. Dwight never called.

Steve Nash, a career 90+% free throw shooter, offered to help him with his free throws. Dwight's response was "Nah, I'm good."

It's a shame, because with a little bit of work on his part, we'd likely be talking about him as an all-time great.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight Howard just played in the wrong era. In the 80's or 90's he would have been a monster with more allowable contact in the paint for him to use his body to bully guys. He just happened to be at the tail end of the big man era and into an era that doesn't have a place for unskilled bigs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, he was traded, not signed as an FA.

Players don't typically hold press conferences of any length to announce that they've been traded.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight Howard just played in the wrong era. In the 80's or 90's he would have been a monster with more allowable contact in the paint for him to use his body to bully guys. He just happened to be at the tail end of the big man era and into an era that doesn't have a place for unskilled bigs.

That's always been the frustrating thing with him.

With his level of talent...how good could he have been if he had put in the work to even be a moderately skilled big?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always been the frustrating thing with him.

With his level of talent...how good could he have been if he had put in the work to even be a moderately skilled big?

I'll take it even one notch lower than that. He could have been a really great big if all he learned how to do was learn how to use his body correctly to establish position. THAT'S IT!

He didn't need to learn a mid range or learn to facilitate or handle. None of that. All he needed to do was learn to be a more efficient post player, by using his body effectively and he could have been a a 25 and 15 guy for his career. It's crazy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take it even one notch lower than that. He could have been a really great big if all he learned how to do was learn how to use his body correctly to establish position. THAT'S IT!

He didn't need to learn a mid range or learn to facilitate or handle. None of that. All he needed to do was learn to be a more efficient post player, by using his body effectively and he could have been a a 25 and 15 guy for his career. It's crazy.

True.

In a sense, I could almost understand him not wanting to work with Kareem if he wasn't comfortable in LA and had no intention of staying. After all, he didn't choose to come to the Lakers, he was traded to them.

But then he went to Houston. A place he chose and where his coach was Kevin McHale and he had access to Hakeem, 2 all time greats who were known for their awesome post moves and footwork...

and he learns nothing?