• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you think happens at the end of VT's season?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My approach would be for WB to make a change at the Head Coach spot at the end of the season (which is very painful for me to say). Might as well rip the bandaid off sooner than later and start planning for the future.

Personally I hope WB performs the following (which I am sure he will):

- Take an assessment of our VT football program overall. What is our mission statement? If we are looking to grow with our fans - to how many? How does that equate to ticket sales (and extra seating)? Are we expecting to revamp Lane at all in the next 5-10 years? If so, how does the new facility we are building impact any improvements we plan to make to lane from a financial standpoint?

- What type of program am I expecting to build? What will Virginia tech football be like without Frank Beamer? Do I want to continue that brand of football (during the good years) that was good to the school and program? Or is that philosophy outdated and harder to achieve?

- What type of men do we want to recruit? The blue chip types that we can coach up? Or do we try and go for the higher star power since we do live in state that is a recruiting hotbed at times? Do I expect a higher level of involvement from my head coach in visits, etc.?

- What am I expecting from my coaching staff? Do we want to build successors or do we want to go with the home run type that will last for the short haul but get us exposure potentially more quickly in the national spotlight? Do I want my coaching staff open to new ideas and philosophies for game planning which makes him flexible?

I think all of these factors and then sum will help determine our next coach. I can see BF being good at some of these, but in other areas I do think he potentially lacks. Can we afford for an Assistant Coach to learn on the fly as a head coach? If this change happened in 2009 or 2010 I would have been more open. Now our national perception is in the toilet to be frank (no pun intended). Was BF really learning from the best these last 9 years (again I kind of see 2005 being a NC type team and the last one that beamer coached)? If he is considered, how flexible is he willing to be?

Again, these are just my ideas. Personally I would love to see a Dynamic HC who has a proven track record as an OC but has coached at the HC level work with BF to take us to the Promise Land!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points amszete. I would hope that VT is going for the in-state blue chippers ALL of the time. Problem is, the program has somewhat lost its luster from the '99 run, when these kids that we are currently recruiting were just wee little tots.

Maybe I am a blind homer. But if Foster would just go recruit with SEC-like tenacity and get a proven OC in here that could make some shit happen, I think VT could get back to its old form (and maybe exceed it) rather quickly. There are some horses in the stable right now. They are young yes, but time is wasting away. They need to take advantage of the young people we have on Offense, get the OLine fixed QUICKLY, and that will probably turn back into 9-10 wins a year. When you can do that and there is some newness and excitement in the program, everything starts to snowball (in a good way) and the recruits will come.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw an excerpt of that that suggested VT might look at UF's coordinator. I facepalmed immediately. The one team that's had an offense as broke (moreso really) than ours is Florida.

As for all the Foster talk, I use to be on board with him getting a shot at it but I'm not any longer. If the rumors are true of him not recruiting that hard (just like Beamer), forget it. We need a HC that is an active recruiter. That's just the way it is nowadays. I really do love Foster, but that quality has to be a part of the job no ifs/ands/buts about it. You don't want to personally recruit, you're not a candidate imo.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Yea, fuck no. Sparks, this is a ban-able offense. WTF man? W.T.F.?

Hehe. Why not?? At least our offense would have a pulse. There are certainly worse options..

Plus if he was highly successful that would make the 'Neers love him even more.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hehe. Why not?? At least our offense would have a pulse. There are certainly worse options..

Plus if he was highly successful that would make the 'Neers love him even more.

Supposedly Rich Rod is #1 or #2 on Florida's list.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He should be. He's an offensive fucking genius. And if a former Neers coach could help bring us a natty, it would be pure gold. I'd take him in a hot minute. If he could keep Bud, even better

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a while, but I seem to remember Rich Rod being a prick. I don't want to have to watch/listen to a prick run our team. And if the Neers will be pissed if we win big, you know they'll laugh even harder when we don't... Want to listen to that?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be curious to know how much of an impact the assistant coaches like SB and BF had on the team with practicing up to this Bowl Game. For instance, I was floored with how well our Special Teams performed. I am not going to go on and say any more here, but it was quite obvious this team came to play, was focused and wanted to make a statement. And they did...

Wonder if we see any delegation of duties like ST, etc. going forward into next year?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be curious to know how much of an impact the assistant coaches like SB and BF had on the team with practicing up to this Bowl Game. For instance, I was floored with how well our Special Teams performed. I am not going to go on and say any more here, but it was quite obvious this team came to play, was focused and wanted to make a statement. And they did...

Wonder if we see any delegation of duties like ST, etc. going forward into next year?

To be honest, I am not sure Frank has that much of an impact on the field or at practice anymore aside from special teams. I doubt he's that involved in offensive or defensive game-planning....he probably just approves the scheme once Loeffler or Bud lays it out before him.

In regards to special teams, it was probably a combination of a couple of new faces for VT and poor special teams from Cincy. I guess Greene was certainly an upgrade over Knowles on kickoff returns, but I think even Knowles would have reeled off big returns against Cincy's poor coverage. VT did do a nice job covering their kickoffs, but I thought the kicks were all pretty bad....barely made it to the 10 yard line each time. Ludwig hasn't impressed me all year doing kickoffs. Obviously Slye making some long FG's was big. He had a solid year. Wonder what is in store for Wise and Santamaria?.....Slye looks to have the PK job locked up for the foreseeable future.