• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you think happens at the end of VT's season?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the jury should still be out on Loeffler.

It's true that the offense doesn't have an identity, but part of that has been because it's in transition.

Just to play devils advocate, why do we need to allow 3-4 years for 'transition?' A team like Auburn can go from almost the worst statistical offense in the nation to the National Championship game in one season? Alabama can hire Kiffen and completely overhaul their O in a season? There are plenty of examples, not just teams of that caliber. I'm not sure why it seems like VTs coaches, and most definitely fans, are so deathly afraid of change. We don't need to make excuses or get apologetic for the coaching staff when they're not putting up. These guys get paid a ton, and as much should be expected. That goes for not only Scot, but also Big Frank.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's going to point to the lack of a running game, and I think he's going to be correct.

That would most definitely be correct. Are we just going to run SB out there in charge of backs and still make the excuse that "talent hasn't been there?" Crazy how much of a free pass the guy gets for having no proven track record.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to play devils advocate, why do we need to allow 3-4 years for 'transition?' A team like Auburn can go from almost the worst statistical offense in the nation to the National Championship game in one season? Alabama can hire Kiffen and completely overhaul their O in a season? There are plenty of examples, not just teams of that caliber. I'm not sure why it seems like VTs coaches, and most definitely fans, are so deathly afraid of change. We don't need to make excuses or get apologetic for the coaching staff when they're not putting up. These guys get paid a ton, and as much should be expected. That goes for not only Scot, but also Big Frank.
Alabama is a bad example
2013 Total offense: 32nd
2014 Total offense: 27th

I agree with Auburn though. Its definitely on the coaches. However, Our offensive line talent has dropped off a cliff since 2011 which is definitely on the previous offensive staff. SL may deserve one more year on that alone, but I'm not sure it was a good hire in the first place.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we end up with one new coach, a moved coach or two and a bit more attrition than normal.

So Loeffler is done, Shane is moved, and a bunch of players transfer?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we end up with one new coach, a moved coach or two and a bit more attrition than normal.

I concur assuming that maybe we win the last 2 of 3 games on our schedule and go bowling. If we get beat by UVa and don't go bowling, things could get a bit more interesting.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure I'm dive into hockey (Caps) and CBB (c'mon Buzz) for realz. Kinda already have.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get your hopes up on hockey. Virginia Tech DL depth = Money invested in Brookses:production from Brookses ratio for Caps.

Doom.

All of my sports interests = DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMEEEDDDDeehhh ehh

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and this is a bit off topic -- but I must say. I'm not one of those "jumping off the cliffs" kinda guy. I think that Frank Beamer has earned another season or two. I think that we'll be better next season and even better in 2016. Is it time for him to go? Yes. That is evident. Will it set the program back a few years by him staying a while longer? Maybe -- maybe not. Either way -- 2016 at the latest needs to be when he hangs it up. I really wish that he could come to terms with the fact that the end is near and do the right thing and help the athletic department make a HUGE splash hire before he's walked out the door. That would be optimal. Let him announce his successor at the end of his retirement speech. That's how I'd wanna go out. Show Hokie Nation that you care about the state of the program by putting your pride and ego aside and doing the right thing. I think he's got a few more seasons in him though

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and this is a bit off topic -- but I must say. I'm not one of those "jumping off the cliffs" kinda guy. I think that Frank Beamer has earned another season or two. I think that we'll be better next season and even better in 2016. Is it time for him to go? Yes. That is evident. Will it set the program back a few years by him staying a while longer? Maybe -- maybe not. Either way -- 2016 at the latest needs to be when he hangs it up. I really wish that he could come to terms with the fact that the end is near and do the right thing and help the athletic department make a HUGE splash hire before he's walked out the door. That would be optimal. Let him announce his successor at the end of his retirement speech. That's how I'd wanna go out. Show Hokie Nation that you care about the state of the program by putting your pride and ego aside and doing the right thing. I think he's got a few more seasons in him though

I agree. I feel he can take a step back and make a couple personnel changes that will make an impact. Sending him packing in a hurry only creates problems with current players and future recruits. Imagine how we would get negatively recruited by other schools if we showed him the door like we did Greenberg. Beamer has a lot of ties to the community and former players...I think it would hurt us if we fired him. Better for him to leave gracefully.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was sort of my thinking when I thought of firing SL and having the new OC be the head coach in waiting thing. I would hope that Whit and CFB can get together and have some kind of handshake agreement that results in a 1 year send off run either next year or in 2016. Figure out some way he still gets all his money on his new extension or whatever. Call him Head Coach Emeritus for all I care.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this Friday we will know a lot more about what will happen at the end of the season. If we lose to UVA (with the way we have already lost to Wake), I can see CFB being asked to step down. I see some on other sites like TKP stating that Foster should be given the keys as head coach and I do not agree. I want WB to do everything in his power to keep him, but I don't think trying to keep BF by making him head ball coach would be the optimal situation here for us all.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this Friday we will know a lot more about what will happen at the end of the season. If we lose to UVA (with the way we have already lost to Wake), I can see CFB being asked to step down. I see some on other sites like TKP stating that Foster should be given the keys as head coach and I do not agree. I want WB to do everything in his power to keep him, but I don't think trying to keep BF by making him head ball coach would be the optimal situation here for us all.

What would your approach be amszete?? Start fresh and new??

Whether it's wrong or right I don't know... But I have always been an advocate for BF to be the next guy up. It sounds like with the politics and everything involved, he would be the best option to continued short term success. I think if he was given the nod, get the right offensive staff in place, and could most importantly step his individual recruiting game up ALOT that this could be a good option. JMHO.

Another thing that was talked about amongst us a couple years ago was Coach Stiney. I know he has had a roller coaster ride the last few years, but he is something to consider as well, although I don't think he would be seriously considered.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would like to promote from within when the time does come for the HC spot.

I don't necessarily see Beamer leaving or being asked to leave this year but I could see us looking for a new OC.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally, I would like to promote from within when the time does come for the HC spot.

I don't necessarily see Beamer leaving or being asked to leave this year but I could see us looking for a new OC.

If they could get an up and coming OC who has head coaching potential and a proven recruiting record, I'd support that. But it can't be one of those "let's see if you can succeed based on your spotty record and adherence to the way I want to run the team and you're pretty cheap" types.

If they get a new OC, they need to pull out their checkbook. They should spring for a special teams coach while they're at it. One who remembers how to play beamerball.

Last edited by a moderator: