• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What 3 playoff teams in 2018 will miss the playoffs in 2019?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the "paying everyone Cup winner prices" after the season that you mentioned. Orpik's salary dropped dramatically. DSP signed for only one year and only one million (he should have gotten "clutch gene" pay this offseason, even if I think that's stupid). The Eller extension signed in Feb. for $3.5mil per looks brilliant now. Kempney signed for a favorable $2.5 million per considering his contributions and top line play. They paid Carlson $8 million. That's exactly what he's worth and younger by 4-5 years than most defensemen making that kind of money. And Wilson got paaaaid, but at worst we'll look back and say he should have gotten 3.5 or 4 million a few years from now. Many of the young guys on the 3rd and 4th lines should continue to get better.

That's called "Clarkson Talk" around Mimico way :wink:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cherry picked stat (you could also say 2nd coach in 4 years) but a rookie coach is a risk.

And he was amazing in the playoffs. He's likely somewhere between. Considering the rest of his resume, i'm fairly confident he can play above average goaltending.

Fair, but don't most cup winners have a "turning point" where they faced near elimination from the playoffs?

Will say that Columbus was probably the 2nd best team we faced in the playoffs.

Best reason you've listed to be fair.

He doesn't need to for them to make the playoffs. He'll likely be playing less minutes next season because we actually have 4 top-4 defensemen for the whole season.

All are under 33 (Ovechkin). Bet against Ovechkin at your own risk. Especially in the regular season ;)

He's Russian. Vodka is in his blood.

They need game-changing additions to their lineup? At forward? The one that won the Stanley Cup? Are Kuznetsov and Ovechkin not enough?

Only 1 missed the playoffs (2014 LA Kings). So 1 out of the last 8 cup winners.

It's not unbelievable, but I definitely wouldn't say it's likely. You're betting on last season being an overachievement or age to catch up with them for a lot of players.
Aren't all stats and information "cherry picking" in that case?

Nothing I said was meant in any way to discredit what the Caps did, I just think they have a bit of a battle to be anywhere near as good next year as they were this spring. They could repeat and I wouldn't be all that surprised either.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas
Capitals (hungover AF)
Devils

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing I said was meant in any way to discredit what the Caps did...

My thoughts were similar to Ritari and I didn't take it that way at all, nor do I think he did (I just enjoy a good debate :) ). We're talking about next year anyway. I just think the overall things you pointed out (Carlson not having the same production, 3 of 5 top scorers being over 30, etc.) weren't good arguments for them not making the playoffs. If Carlson has 10 points less and OV has 6 fewer goals, I don't see how that means the team overall will be significantly different and won't make the playoffs given the team's depth. Other guys are young and still getting better also (Vrana, Stephenson, Kuznetsov) to offset this. And again, the question isn't "will guys produce at the same level in 2019?" The question is will they make the playoffs. And some of your own arguments work against you.

"Holtby was awful in the regular season last year" > A year in which they easily made the playoffs!
"They re-signed Orpik" > A player who has the following history with the Caps - playoffs, playoffs, playoffs, playoffs.
"This team was an OT goal away from going down 3-0 and almost being assured of a first round elimination by Columbus" > Objection... relevance! Sustained.
"Progress would be one of them getting to 40 pts. That's not exactly game-changing." We made the playoffs and won the Cup. We don't need game changing. Just continued solid play.

Again, doubt we repeat. But it's pretty damn likely we make the playoffs.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that seals it, give him the Norris! Champions are usually decided by *checks calendar* October 4th anyway.

So the Penguins won the cup again.:yes: I mean we did knock off the defending champs which makes up king of the hill and you are saying the season is over.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that seals it, give him the Norris! Champions are usually decided by *checks calendar* October 4th anyway.

Nobody said champions. This thread is about making the playoffs.

I know it's early, I'm just saying get that bib ready for that plate of crow.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said champions. This thread is about making the playoffs.

I know it's early, I'm just saying get that bib ready for that plate of crow.
It is early and I really don't care very much so I'm probably just going to mute you if this is an everyday thing you plan to do.

Come back in March.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is early and I really don't care very much so I'm probably just going to mute you if this is an everyday thing you plan to do.

Come back in March.

Not every day, but every couple months is okay right?

Caps doing just fine. All those over 30 guys doing great. Carlson kicking ass. Just a reminder your prediction stacking up to be one of the worst of all time at the Hoop.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every day, but every couple months is okay right?

Caps doing just fine. All those over 30 guys doing great. Carlson kicking ass. Just a reminder your prediction stacking up to be one of the worst of all time at the Hoop.
Mostly Ovechkin still doing his thing but, considering three weeks ago they were outside of a playoff spot I’d advise you to keep up with the overconfidence. No chance of it coming back to haunt you like a Tom Wilson-induced concussion.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bad the Metro is right now you win 2 games you go from out of the playoffs to 3rd place.

So looking at Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New Jersey all are good picks.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly Ovechkin still doing his thing but, considering three weeks ago they were outside of a playoff spot I’d advise you to keep up with the overconfidence. No chance of it coming back to haunt you like a Tom Wilson-induced concussion.

Overconfidence seems to be working so far! :) Again, I don't think they'll win the Cup, but I'm damn sure they are making the playoffs.

Ovechkin carrying his weight for sure, but Carlson, Backstron, Kuzy, and Wilson all averaging more than a point a game. Vrana has upped his game. Lots of injuries and don't think the defense is playing as well as it could so far this year, so as they get healthier, no reason to think this team won't continue to play well and be in strong playoff position.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overconfidence seems to be working so far! :) Again, I don't think they'll win the Cup, but I'm damn sure they are making the playoffs.

Ovechkin carrying his weight for sure, but Carlson, Backstron, Kuzy, and Wilson all averaging more than a point a game. Vrana has upped his game. Lots of injuries and don't think the defense is playing as well as it could so far this year, so as they get healthier, no reason to think this team won't continue to play well and be in strong playoff position.
With the division I don't see how the Capitals couldn't make the playoffs? The only way is if they lose everyone to injury.