• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We've Reached out to Allen Hurns

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurns and Allen Robinson have been rather forthright in their wish to reunite in Chicago. Hurns confirmed that the two sides have spoken.

I don't like what this means for Meredith, with him visiting Indy and NYJ. Gabriel agrees.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m all for Hurns............I thought I`d like to see us sign him this morning when I heard the Jags released him......................

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m all for Hurns............I thought I`d like to see us sign him this morning when I heard the Jags released him......................

I like Hurns. I'd just rather have Meredith and there's probably not room for both on the roster.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Hurns. I'd just rather have Meredith and there's probably not room for both on the roster.

Eh.........I like Hurns as a second go to guy.........I believe his numbers would be better if he didn`t have Bortles throwing to him.
Plus hes already been a 1000 yd receiver.............And only 26.

I think he has a huge upside.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.........I like Hurns as a second go to guy.........I believe his numbers would be better if he didn`t have Bortles throwing to him.
Plus hes already been a 1000 yd receiver.............And only 26.

I think he has a huge upside.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying about Hurns. He is solid. I'd just rather have Meredith. Meredith's 2016 towers over Hurns 2015... and he was just getting going (with Barkley as his QB too). IMO -- If healthy, Meredith could be our #1.

If the ACL injury isn't lingering (no way to know) I might take Meredith over Allen Robinson.

Ice_nine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meredith's 2016 towers over Hurns 2015... and he was just getting going (with Barkley as his QB too).

Since I am just a dumb blonde, please explain this. As you are a total know-it-all, I'm quite sure you can.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I am just a dumb blonde, please explain this. As you are a total know-it-all, I'm quite sure you can.

66 Rec 97 targets (68% catch) 888 yards 4 TD's in 10 starts, mostly with Matt Barkley. Is more impressive than 15 starts 63 Rec (61% catch) 1031 Yards 10 TD's with Bortles.

I think for half of that season, we were playing backups and practice squad guys at nearly every positon (a couple of weeks, literally every position). Meredith shined.

Meredith started out the year as a Week 1 inactive, on the practice squad. Injuries pushed him into his first start in Week 5. He played in a laughing stock of an offense and put up better numbers on a per start basis than Hurns.

Ice_nine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I c. So the starts matter more than the number of games and because Bortles is such an awesome QB Hurns just went alog for the ride and 2x as many TDs more yards and fewer fumbles means he got "towered" over. Got it. Thanks for clueing me in. Boy you must be bummed Allen Robinson got paid top dollar since his stats were just padded by the vaunted Jaguar offensive juggernaut.

Teasing you Big Boy. If you didn't take yourself so seriously I'd consider seeing you next time I come through Chicago. Beardowner already has me tied up for the next trip though. He's pretty sly!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I c. So the starts matter more than the number of games and because Bortles is such an awesome QB Hurns just went alog for the ride and 2x as many TDs more yards and fewer fumbles means he got "towered" over. Got it. Thanks for clueing me in. Boy you must be bummed Allen Robinson got paid top dollar since his stats were just padded by the vaunted Jaguar offensive juggernaut.

Teasing you Big Boy. If you didn't take yourself so seriously I'd consider seeing you next time I come through Chicago. Beardowner already has me tied up for the next trip though. He's pretty sly!
giphy.gif

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
66 Rec 97 targets (68% catch) 888 yards 4 TD's in 10 starts, mostly with Matt Barkley. Is more impressive than 15 starts 63 Rec (61% catch) 1031 Yards 10 TD's with Bortles.

I think for half of that season, we were playing backups and practice squad guys at nearly every positon (a couple of weeks, literally every position). Meredith shined.

Meredith started out the year as a Week 1 inactive, on the practice squad. Injuries pushed him into his first start in Week 5. He played in a laughing stock of an offense and put up better numbers on a per start basis than Hurns.
I got to disagree. Hurns is better than Meredith. Id gladly take him over Meredith and I’m an Illinois State alumni. Meredith is a good player, and I don’t necessarily believe we can only have one or the other. Those three plus Burton, Gabriel, and Cohen catching passes makes our offense deep with playmakers.

Hurns had to compete with a talented wr core to get targets. Meredith was the only competent receiver that was healthy that year, I believe. White and Jeffery were hurt, right?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to disagree. Hurns is better than Meredith. Id gladly take him over Meredith and I’m an Illinois State alumni. Meredith is a good player, and I don’t necessarily believe we can only have one or the other. Those three plus Burton, Gabriel, and Cohen catching passes makes our offense deep with playmakers.

Hurns had to compete with a talented wr core to get targets. Meredith was the only competent receiver that was healthy that year, I believe. White and Jeffery were hurt, right?

Jeffery played 10 games or something. I believe. However, yes... he was hurt and also suspended for PED's.

People have a weird misconception with how that works, though. This means Meredith was getting open vs the oppositions #1 CB. He also caught 68% of his targets, which is tremendous (especially with Barkley throwing to him most of the time)... so it's not like it was just a volume thing.

Hurns has largely been ineffective since that 2015 season. I think we only began to scrape Meredith's ceiling.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffery played 10 games or something. I believe. However, yes... he was hurt and also suspended for PED's.

People have a weird misconception with how that works, though. This means Meredith was getting open vs the oppositions #1 CB. He also caught 68% of his targets, which is tremendous (especially with Barkley throwing to him most of the time)... so it's not like it was just a volume thing.

Hurns has largely been ineffective since that 2015 season. I think we only began to scrape Meredith's ceiling.
I’d be interested in seeing how often opposing teams were putting 8+ defenders in the box. You also have to point out that virtually none of those teams had relevant tape on Meredith. I’m not saying Meredith is bad, he’s just not as good as you think he is. Stats never tell the whole story and Meredith’s 2016 is not indicative of his abilities. I’d be surprised if Meredith ever gets close to those numbers again.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the starts matter more than the number of games

You are welcome to pretend like playing full-time is the same as being buried on the depth chart and playing part time. However, it is intellectually dishonest. Not that this trait has ever alluded you.

Hurns played 165 more snaps than Meredith.

because Bortles is such an awesome QB

Hey look... The good ole fashioned strawman argument. I never asserted this. However, compared to Barkley. Bortles is a damn world beater.

Barkley in 2016 for 6 starts: 8 TD's 14 INT's 68.3 Rating

^ Bortles is serviceable. Which is head-and-shoulders above that catastrophe.

Bortles in 2015 for 16 starts: 35 TD's 18 INT's 88 Rating

Hurns just went alog for the ride

Another strawman. I never asserted that. Hurns had a solid year and was a contributor.

Boy you must be bummed Allen Robinson got paid top dollar since his stats were just padded by the vaunted Jaguar offensive juggernaut.

Hey, look... another strawman.

If you didn't take yourself so seriously I'd consider seeing you next time I come through Chicago.

Hmmm... Bring it on baby.

giphy.gif

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be interested in seeing how often opposing teams were putting 8+ defenders in the box. You also have to point out that virtually none of those teams had relevant tape on Meredith. I’m not saying Meredith is bad, he’s just not as good as you think he is. Stats never tell the whole story and Meredith’s 2016 is not indicative of his abilities. I’d be surprised if Meredith ever gets close to those numbers again.

I see size, physicality, raw athletic ability, great body control and extremely reliable hands. Along with the fact, that his career was just getting going.

I don't buy the "tape" thing with Meredith. Most young WR's struggle to get going during their rookie season. If the tape thing was a big deal with defending WR's. Logically, they'd have a big advantage early on.

He demonstrates every trait you look for in a possession receiver.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see size, physicality, raw athletic ability, great body control and extremely reliable hands. Along with the fact, that his career was just getting going.

I don't buy the "tape" thing with Meredith. Most young WR's struggle to get going during their rookie season. If the tape thing was a big deal with defending WR's. Logically, they'd have a big advantage early on.

He demonstrates every trait you look for in a possession receiver.
We will just have to wait and see. I foresee Meredith as a role player in the passing game. He will get a lot of snaps, but I see him as being the third, fourth, or fifth option in the passing game. I vaguely recall you saying he will be a big sleeper in fantasy. I don’t believe he will have near the opportunity for that. He’s going to be a reliable guy to target after the player the play was drawn up for, Robinson, and Burton. Gabriel and Cohen will have plenty of plays drawn up for them as well.

Anyway, it’s useless to even debate these stances. Nothing can be proven until the football games have been played.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will just have to wait and see. I foresee Meredith as a role player in the passing game. He will get a lot of snaps, but I see him as being the third, fourth, or fifth option in the passing game. I vaguely recall you saying he will be a big sleeper in fantasy. I don’t believe he will have near the opportunity for that. He’s going to be a reliable guy to target after the player the play was drawn up for, Robinson, and Burton. Gabriel and Cohen will have plenty of plays drawn up for them as well.

Anyway, it’s useless to even debate these stances. Nothing can be proven until the football games have been played.

Wait... you realize Meredith is our starting receiver opposite of AR at the moment. Right?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been operating under that assumption, but It’s too early to tell.

Yet, you think he's behind our #2 RB and a TE with whom we have no idea how his snaps will be shared or parted with Shaheen?

So long as Trubisky isn't a train wreck, it just doesn't stand to reason that he won't get around 100 targets. This is all assuming he is healthy, obviously.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, you think he's behind our #2 RB and a TE with whom we have no idea how his snaps will be shared or parted with Shaheen?

So long as Trubisky isn't a train wreck, it just doesn't stand to reason that he won't get around 100 targets. This is all assuming he is healthy, obviously.
Yeah, I think Burton can be a top TE. I think he’s one of the most underrated talents in the league. Cohen won’t be on the field as often, but Nagy is going to draw up a hell of a lot of plays for him when he is in. Same with gabriel. Shaheen hasn’t proven anything to me yet, but he could bust out too.