• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome to the off season

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling Beane approaches every off season in the same manner:

First, he asks the questions, "What do I have on the roster?"

Then he asks, "Will this roster make the post season next year?"

If a post season berth seems unlikely then he asks, "What do I need to add to get this team into October?"

Then he starts making moves.

With that in mind, I wanted to take a look at an early projection of next season's opening day roster, as it stands right now.

Starting Pitching
1 Sonny Gray
2 Jesse Hahn
3 Kendall Graveman
4 Jesse Chavez
5 Chris Bassitt

Other Options: Jarrod Parker, A.J. Griffin, Drew Pomeranz, Felix Doubront, Aaron Brooks, Sean Nolin

Bullpen
CL Sean Doolittle
SU Drew Pomeranz
SU Fernando Rodriguez
MR Dan Otero
MR Fernando Abad
MR Edward Mujica
LR Pat Venditte

Other Options: Ryan Dull, RJ Alvarez, Arnold Leon, Jesse Chavez, Evan Scribner

Starting Defense
C Stephen Vogt
1B Mark Canha
2B Brett Lawrie
3B Danny Valencia
SS Marcus Semien
LF Coco Crisp
CF Billy Burns
RF Josh Reddick
DH Billy Butler

Bench
CIF Max Muncy
MIF Eric Sogard
OF Sam Fuld
C Josh Phegley

Other Options: Jason Pridie, Jake Smolinski, Tyler Ladendorf, Ike Davis, Craig Gentry

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I didn't look into the contract status of any of those guys, so some I listed in the 25-man roster may be free agents or arbitration eligible. (Is Crisp a free agent now or does he have one year left?)

I dunno about you guys, but I don't see a lot of improvement in the W-L column there without making some moves.

At the very least we need a lefty starting pitcher since Doubront is not a realistic option and they seem pretty content to leave Pomeranz in the bullpen. I would love to see Kazmir stay within our price range because Gray-Kazmir is an awesome 1-2 punch.

We also need some bullpen help since these are the exact same guys who struggled mightily this past year. I don't know if we can trust Doolittle's health or performance when he isn't burning it in there at 98 mph. I actually kinda wish they had just shut him down earlier and done surgery to fix his shoulder. I would love to see us pick up a guy who has had moderate success in both the SU and closer roles to be a primary setup man and insurance in case Doolittle goes down.

The infield, especially on the corners, really needs some help. We may be looking for a left fielder as well if Crisp is a free agent. I really can't see this squad doing much better without us making some moves, and I don't know that we have the talent in the minors to bring in major league ready players.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Beane is no longer GM, the A's will go from worst to Forst overnight.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be good to see a full season of Burns Vogt Valencia, with Canha and Semien (hopefully he works on his D ). I guess Reddick & Lawrie will be back and we're stuck with Butler for a while.

Sogard was an ok reserve this year. No reason to bring Fuld back and hopefully Crisp does the right thing and retires. They can cut ties with Ike Davis. If we're stuck with Butler and Crisp for another year, hopefully they're mostly bench guys despite the $ involved and they go out and get a couple of extra bats to fill in the roster.

I don't know what to say about the pitching other than too many injuries and inconsistency. Dull & Venditte did well at times in the 2nd half and also got lit up at times... we know Doolittle is still under contract for a while. I think Mujica is FA, many of the other guys are still under team control/arbitration.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be good to see a full season of Burns Vogt Valencia, with Canha and Semien (hopefully he works on his D ). I guess Reddick & Lawrie will be back and we're stuck with Butler for a while.

Sogard was an ok reserve this year. No reason to bring Fuld back and hopefully Crisp does the right thing and retires. They can cut ties with Ike Davis. If we're stuck with Butler and Crisp for another year, hopefully they're mostly bench guys despite the $ involved and they go out and get a couple of extra bats to fill in the roster.

I don't know what to say about the pitching other than too many injuries and inconsistency. Dull & Venditte did well at times in the 2nd half and also got lit up at times... we know Doolittle is still under contract for a while. I think Mujica is FA, many of the other guys are still under team control/arbitration.
I don't think there is any question surrounding Butler. He is our starting DH next season. The A's just have to hope that this season was merely an aberration and he is a .290 hitter with 20+ HRs next year.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few days late here, but A's trade a minor league RHP for Jed Lowrie.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Scribner to the Mariners for Minor League right-hander Trey Cochran-Gill

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updates

Starting Pitching

1 Sonny Gray
2 Jesse Hahn
3 Kendall Graveman
4 Rich Hill
5 Chris Bassitt

Other Options: Jarrod Parker, A.J. Griffin, Aaron Brooks, Henderson Alvarez

Bullpen
CL Sean Doolittle
SU John Axford
SU Ryan Madson
MR Liam Hendricks
MR Marc Rzepczynski
MR Fernando Rodriguez
LR Ryan Dull

Other Options: RJ Alvarez, Felix Doubront

Starting Defense
C Stephen Vogt
1B Yonder Alonso
2B Jed Lowrie
3B Danny Valencia
SS Marcus Semien
LF Coco Crisp
CF Billy Burns
RF Josh Reddick
DH Billy Butler

Bench
CIF Mark Canha
Mark Canha
Mark Canha
MIF Eric Sogard
OF Sam Fuld
C Josh Phegley

Other Options: Jason Pridie, Jake Smolinski, Tyler Ladendorf, Ike Davis, Craig Gentry

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. We traded away the 8th highest rated catcher prospect to acquire Khris Davis from the Brewers. Low average, high power, lots of strikeouts. He is a starting left fielder. This kind of shakes things up a bit with Crisp essentially being pushed to the bench now. I'm not sure who gets bumped off (Canha or Fuld) if/when Crisp is healthy because I doubt we run a 5-man bench.

Updates

Starting Pitching

1 Sonny Gray
2 Jesse Hahn
3 Kendall Graveman
4 Rich Hill
5 Chris Bassitt

Other Options: Jarrod Parker, A.J. Griffin, Aaron Brooks, Henderson Alvarez

Bullpen
CL Sean Doolittle
SU John Axford
SU Ryan Madson