• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weekly homer perspective

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OPI flag that was picked up... I just read "it was a borderline call". Anyone else think that call wasn't 100% correct (The call to pickup the flag)?

And while at it... Wasn't the pick play used by the Saints on their touchdown OPI? Does it really make a difference that the receiver causing the pick "sells it" well? As a rules emphasis, shouldn't the NFL ban the inside out routes that create the "natural" picks if they really want to eliminate picks? Why penalize players who don't sell it or reward players who do?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OPI flag that was picked up... I just read "it was a borderline call". Anyone else think that call wasn't 100% correct (The call to pickup the flag)?

And while at it... Wasn't the pick play used by the Saints on their touchdown OPI? Does it really make a difference that the receiver causing the pick "sells it" well? As a rules emphasis, shouldn't the NFL ban the inside out routes that create the "natural" picks if they really want to eliminate picks? Why penalize players who don't sell it or reward players who do?
I think they need to clearly define the yards in which a pick play can take place. The rule basically say's if it occurs at the line of scrimmage it's not a pick. It should read something along the lines of. If a crossing pattern at the line of scrimmage or within three yards of that line occurs it's not a pick anything beyond that line is an illegal pick. Or leave it alone all together and make picks a legal part of the game. DE, DTs and LBs have to shake blocks no reason a DB can't

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to clearly define the yards in which a pick play can take place. The rule basically say's if it occurs at the line of scrimmage it's not a pick. It should read something along the lines of. If a crossing pattern at the line of scrimmage or within three yards of that line occurs it's not a pick anything beyond that line is an illegal pick. Or leave it alone all together and make picks a legal part of the game. DE, DTs and LBs have to shake blocks no reason a DB can't
I think it is clarified somewhere and the exact distance is 1 yard. I believe the play yesterday for the Pats wasn't a crossing route but a direct block, which is still okay as long as it's at the line of scrimmage.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is clarified somewhere and the exact distance is 1 yard. I believe the play yesterday for the Pats wasn't a crossing route but a direct block, which is still okay as long as it's at the line of scrimmage.
If it's one yard then the line judge should be able to gauge that with relative ease. The NFL has a lot of vaguely written rules that put refs in bad positions. The league really needs to address the way some of these rules are written

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the real problem...........If the play gets a "Star" wide receiver open to catch a pass then most officials tend to ignore the 'pick'. If the pick takes out both defenders and both WRs go free, they throw the flag, but if one defender stays on his feet and goes with the non-Star it's ignored. As with NBA, stars are treated differently than rookies.

The big problem is that different officiating crews interpret rules differently and make call based on what they think is the correct call or not. This is where the league needs to make sure that ecery crew is making the same call on the same play. This is especially true in the playoffs. Ever hear someone say, "Well, it's the playoffs and things are different in the playoffs." ??

Same with calls on the QB. Rogers and Brady get things called much differently than Watson and Brissett.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the real problem...........If the play gets a "Star" wide receiver open to catch a pass then most officials tend to ignore the 'pick'. If the pick takes out both defenders and both WRs go free, they throw the flag, but if one defender stays on his feet and goes with the non-Star it's ignored. As with NBA, stars are treated differently than rookies.

The big problem is that different officiating crews interpret rules differently and make call based on what they think is the correct call or not. This is where the league needs to make sure that ecery crew is making the same call on the same play. This is especially true in the playoffs. Ever hear someone say, "Well, it's the playoffs and things are different in the playoffs." ??

Same with calls on the QB. Rogers and Brady get things called much differently than Watson and Brissett.
I hate that term, " You don't make that call in the playoffs " :crazy::gaah:why don't you if a rule is broken you make the call.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that term, " You don't make that call in the playoffs " :crazy::gaah:why don't you if a rule is broken you make the call.

It's the "unwritten" rule. Don't call the fouls that aren't obvious. Teams that make the playoffs are the ""Better"" teams and thus making a lot of calls makes them less better. If you get a chance to see them, watch the Seahawks/Falcons and Packers/Falcons playoff games of the past few years. The 'calls' and 'non-calls' were some of the worst in NFL history. It was almost as if the league was mandating who was going to play in the Super Bowl.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you look at the playback you can see that Hogan was right on the blue line. So yeah I thought it was 100% legit.

They just said that because it probably bothered many TV fans that Tom Brady was telling the refs the correct call and likely someone like Blake Bortles would have been ignored.

But Tom Brady the wonder-boy GOAT could get the call..

I thought that and the 12 players call were GREAT for very reason!!! :D

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the playback you can see that Hogan was right on the blue line. So yeah I thought it was 100% legit.

They just said that because it probably bothered many TV fans that Tom Brady was telling the refs the correct call and likely someone like Blake Bortles would have been ignored.

But Tom Brady the wonder-boy GOAT could get the call..

I thought that and the 12 players call were GREAT for very reason!!! :D

That's true about TB arguing and maybe not about him getting heard because of who he is. I'd like to think right is right and the right call prevailed. The twelve man one is reviewable, which is rare since most penalties are not reviewable.

Did you think "illegal pick" on that Saints touchdown or just resigned to the fact that some picks are better disguised than others (or think my perspective is flat out wrong and too homerish)?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true about TB arguing and maybe not about him getting heard because of who he is. I'd like to think right is right and the right call prevailed. The twelve man one is reviewable, which is rare since most penalties are not reviewable.

Did you think "illegal pick" on that Saints touchdown or just resigned to the fact that some picks are better disguised than others (or think my perspective is flat out wrong and too homerish)?

I don't remember that one but yeah some picks and defensive holding/interferance are better "executed" than others.

I also think that Brady who has clearly assumed the mantel of greatest QB of all time after the last SB win is getting a little more attention these days. It won't last but it was nice to see particularly when he was completely right in both cases.. I think if he had been wrong the refs would have told him as much but I think they were more willing to at least listen to him because of who he is.. I don't think Brissett would have gotten the same consideration.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember that one but yeah some picks and defensive holding/interferance are better "executed" than others.

I also think that Brady who has clearly assumed the mantel of greatest QB of all time after the last SB win is getting a little more attention these days. It won't last but it was nice to see particularly when he was completely right in both cases.. I think if he had been wrong the refs would have told him as much but I think they were more willing to at least listen to him because of who he is.. I don't think Brissett would have gotten the same consideration.
I'll concede that but...... then they would need to face Belichick.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats pick was legal, the Saints was not, both worked out....not so much for the Packers...LOL. They got busted for the same thing and I am not sure it was even a pick play..Surprised Rodgers didn't talk the refs out of it, I mean he is better than Brady.....:suds:

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want pick plays gone they need to call anything that causes a pick. Call it what you want, a pick, screen, rub, block, etc... If it,s beyond the line it gets called. We lost the afccg due to a rub play by Welker. That wasn't on Welker, it was the ( wink, wink) play.

Also, make picks reviewable. That will stop them.... But the emphasis will need to be clarified so a pick IS a pick and not (wink, wink) incidental contact.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks can be simply eliminated by a rule change that does not allow WR to cross within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. This is the area where defenders can contact WRs so not allowing WRs to cross would force 1 on 1 contact. Here's the kicker, make an illegal crossover a 15 yard penalty. Most picks are about 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage and usually the pick is set by the outside WR crossing to the middle. The inside guy hesitates of a step, the defenders cross to cover their guy and outside guy runs into them releasing the inside guy to the sideline. If the side line referee sets up 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage he can easily see if the infraction takes place within 5 yards. (Just my opinion after 33 years of officiating and over 40 years of coaching Baseball, Basketball and Football)

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks can be simply eliminated by a rule change that does not allow WR to cross within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. This is the area where defenders can contact WRs so not allowing WRs to cross would force 1 on 1 contact. Here's the kicker, make an illegal crossover a 15 yard penalty. Most picks are about 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage and usually the pick is set by the outside WR crossing to the middle. The inside guy hesitates of a step, the defenders cross to cover their guy and outside guy runs into them releasing the inside guy to the sideline. If the side line referee sets up 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage he can easily see if the infraction takes place within 5 yards. (Just my opinion after 33 years of officiating and over 40 years of coaching Baseball, Basketball and Football)
I like, that eliminates any gray area. And, if a competitive disadvantage is perceived, it impacts all teams equally.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so brilliant and so simple the NFL will never adopt it.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so brilliant and so simple the NFL will never adopt it.
I agree. What the NFL will do instead is call a penalty on the accidental (wink, wink) picks when it's clear the offensive player in winking in the process of accidentally (wink, wink) picking the opponent.