• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8 @ Appalachian State (Stranger Things)

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, that's not really a movie I'm using for the theme this week. It's a Netflix original show, and its one that I've actually never seen. But the name was just too god damn perfect for this week. It's been 6 years since Idaho had a winning record after 7 games. It is real fucking strange to me.

As much shit as Paul Petrino has gotten as the head coach of this program there is no arguing with the results. Consistent improvement over 4 years is about all you can ask of a coach that inherited a dumpster fire of a program. The Vandals have already matched their win total from last season and are projected to be a bowl team at the end of the year.

And why the fuck not? Idaho has beaten every team they were expected to beat this year and lost to every team they were expected to lose to. If that trend continues there's no reason they can't get two wins in the last 5 weeks and end up in a bowl game.

Unfortunately this week is their only guaranteed loss going forward. App. St. is a legit team in the Sun Belt conference this year. I'm not convinced the are better than Troy, but they are damn good.

The Mountaineers enter this contest having won their first two Sun Belt conference games giving up only 3 points combined. Yes, they did play Georgia State and Lafayette, but it's still impressive. Overall App. St. has only given up an average of 12 ppg against G5 competition this year. I'd take that any day of the week.

I talked up Taylor Lamb quite a bit at the beginning of the season but it's really been App. St.'s running offense that has won games for them. I expect that to be the case tomorrow. Idaho's D has been pretty stout in the first quarter of games but has faltered later on. That will likely continue and I don't expect Lamb to put up huge numbers, but he'll be efficient as usual.

The Vandal defense had a good day against NMSU if you look at the scoreboard but the Aggies really shot themselves in the foot with several instances of missing WR's on big plays. I don't expect App. St. to make the same mistakes. They'll get their points in this one.

As far as Idaho's offense goes I'm expecting them to attack the middle of the field as much as the did last week. If this continues and Linehan plays like he did last week Idaho should be in this game for a bit. Probably will be close at the half with the Mountaineers pulling away in the second half. App. St. is just too good to lose to Idaho at this point IMO.

Prediction:

Appalachian State starts strong but Idaho hangs around until the second half when the Mountaineers pull away. Idaho covers but they end up losing by a decent margin.

App. St. 35
Idaho 20

That said, Go Vandals.

Last edited:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Score:

App. St. 37
Idaho 19

Pretty much nailed it. Way too many stalls in the redzone and bonehead plays or else this could have been a real close one. Oh well, Idaho wasn't supposed to win this one anyway. Got 4 chances to get two wins against teams that have a combined 3 conference wins so far this year. Real doable. Got a bye before @ULL in the first week of November.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must feel good to have a decent record and have the two best teams in the Sun Belt out of your way now sir.

You almost certainly should beat Texas State and Georgia State, at least with how those two have been so far. Georgia State did almost beat Wisconsin earlier this year so I guess there's some upside to that team.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must feel good to have a decent record and have the two best teams in the Sun Belt out of your way now sir.

You almost certainly should beat Texas State and Georgia State, at least with how those two have been so far. Georgia State did almost beat Wisconsin earlier this year so I guess there's some upside to that team.

Oh it sure does. If they can't pick two wins out of the next 4 they definitely don't deserve a bowl. Most Belt teams are pretty inconsistent, should be able to catch a few of them on a bad day if nothing else.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Score:

App. St. 37
Idaho 19

Pretty much nailed it. Way too many stalls in the redzone and bonehead plays or else this could have been a real close one. Oh well, Idaho wasn't supposed to win this one anyway. Got 4 chances to get two wins against teams that have a combined 3 conference wins so far this year. Real doable. Got a bye before @ULL in the first week of November.
It's good to see the offense moving the ball better. Hard to see them not come away with more points though.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see the offense moving the ball better. Hard to see them not come away with more points though.

They seemed to figure out how to score in the red zone against that bad NMSU defense. App. St.'s D is just a whole other animal.