• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 7 Game Analysis: Texas A&M

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB- Jacob Coker, or "Vanilla Vick" as the team is calling him now, is showing every bit of why Saban trusted him in his decision to transfer here. He is starting to become more aware in the pocket, the throws are getting better, and he is showing an innate ability to keep drives alive and punishing defenders in his way. I don't know about y'all, but that motherfucker must eat nails for breakfast because he is a tough sumbitch. While he was solid against TAMU, and has been surprisingly better on the road this year than in home games, I still think he has room for improvement. His deep throws are improving, and he had one throw in that game to Calvin Ridley that was almost orgasmic. But, anyways... I would like to see overall consistency from him, on the road AND at home. Maybe he will come through this week against probably the best Tennessee team we have faced since Kiffin was the coach there.

RB- King Henry made Texas A&M's defense his personal bitch to the tune of 32 rushes for 236 yards. Kenyan Drake, well, he's seen better days. I wish we would use him more in the passing game. He's seeming to disappear completely from the playmaking ability we saw from him last year before his injuries and the 2 years prior when he showed flashes of brilliance. I believe Henry is finding his niche as the lead back this year, and has established the identity of this football team...which is stop me or get out of the way.

WR- Well, with only 19 completions, and a gameplan based on running the football, there wasn't a lot to take away from this group other than Calvin Ridley and Richard Mullaney are navigating the air traffic. Overall these guys are becoming a solid group, with Ridley becoming a deep threat and Mullaney becoming the dependable 3rd down target. I'd say if we stay healthy that we can be a top 10 receiving core in the country, if we aren't already.

TE/FB- I am impressed by how well OJ is blocking this year, sealing the edge and whamming on inside zone runs. Nyeswander is still pounding away from the I formation, and Brandon Greene also made a few appearances when we went 2 tight. I would love to use the same packages all year, because I honestly believe that no one and I mean NO ONE right now could handle our 2 tight or I-form packages for 4 quarters and have to defend the play action as well. OJ has been consistently making catches all year, and I am so pleased to see that he has finally come along and is playing to his potential.

OL- We had some mental errors, as expected I guess when facing one of the best pass rushing D-lines in the country in a loud ass stadium. I haven't heard news on Kelly yet, I know he got a concussion but I'm not sure if or when he comes back. But considering the elements, we played solid. Not great, but solid. Losing our starting center midgame didn't help especially considering he's a 3rd year starter. Our run blocking lacked almost the entire game when we tried zone blocking. But when we base blocked, we were gaining 3-4 yards untouched. Pass blocking was okay, but can still improve. I don't think Cam is a bust, he may just be having a rough year. He has faced some pretty damn good defensive ends and linebackers this year though. More than we usually see.

------

DL- Texas A&M couldn't run the ball, couldn't scramble, and just couldn't seem to get away from our D-line. I think we had either 4 or 5 sacks. And a mere 61 yards on designed run plays by someone other than the QB. Just unfuckingblockable.

LB- Well the D-line made it easy. But still, Ragland and Co. shut them down in the gaps, and weren't giving up any yards after the catch. And, for once, were pretty solid in pass coverage on the outside.

Secondary- Do I even need to analyze here? Four INTs, three pick-6s, and blanket coverage all day. Also had an INT that didn't even get reviewed, but whatevs. We still scored 21 points here. Our secondary is raw. Minkah and Eddie are tearing quarterbacks' and receivers' hearts up this year. Cyrus and Marlon are also keeping the QBs hesitant.

------

Special Teams- The coverage, ughhh. The return teams, getting better. Griffith, he's getting there. He made a pretty important field goal in the game that gave us a 2 possession lead. That was an extremely clutch field goal, considering Texas A&M had a lot of momentum at the time. JK averaged 48.2 yds per punt on 8 boots. He's back bitches. Our special teams offense is improving, while our special teams defense is steadily declining. That needs to change ASAP with 2 rivalry games coming up. Special teams gave up 14 points to TAMU. A punt return TD and a muffed punt that resulted in a 2 play scoring drive and turned momentum towards TAMU. Then had a punt blocked. We can't afford meltdowns like that in our upcoming games.

------

Intangibles- Coker is a man amongst boys. I'm not sure how you can be a fan of the team and hate this guy. I know some people that still do. He is playing every down like it is his last, as if his last days of playing football will be at Alabama. Henry is running harder and harder every game. The defense is getting nastier. I honestly don't think there is a team in the country that wants to play this team right now. We didn't just beat Texas A&M...we annihilated the HUNH spread attack and then some. We pushed their shit in all game. They had one offensive touchdown and it came after a turnover. They only had 2 true scoring drives, and both were field goals. Before Kelly got injured, we had already done the damage necessary to make their ass quit. The only reason they stayed in the game was because of our mistakes on special teams. Otherwise, we owned them.

------

QB- A
RB- A
TE/FB- A+
WR- A
OL- A-

DL- A+
LB- A
Secondary- A+

Special Teams- B+

Overall Assessment- I like the "give it to #2 in I-Form/2-TE and then play action" gameplan on offense. We need to stick with that. We also need Drake to step up in his production, in case Henry goes down, because these next 2 games are going to be physical. The O-line is going to have to adapt if Kelly isn't back for this week, and our defense is unbelievable. Our special teams, while great in some phases and good in others, lacks consistency. I really hope we work those kinks out before the LSU game.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this team!!! Also I think its critical we find a #2 RB to give Henry rest. I really think Bo could do it if we gave him a chance.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I got a limited look only, because often times it's the mistakes that glare in those situations, but I think Drake needs to get better in pass protection if he wants to find more success on the field.

It seems like we run different types of plays when he is in the game, and the defenses key in on it. Lots of screens etc.

Henry picks up blitzes real well so when he is in the other teams have to respect the pass more, and that helps him out.

I may be way off here, as it just something I noticed this past weekend that stuck out to me. It could be that overall he does great at pass blocking and I just don't notice.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I got a limited look only, because often times it's the mistakes that glare in those situations, but I think Drake needs to get better in pass protection if he wants to find more success on the field.

It seems like we run different types of plays when he is in the game, and the defenses key in on it. Lots of screens etc.

Henry picks up blitzes real well so when he is in the other teams have to respect the pass more, and that helps him out.

I may be way off here, as it just something I noticed this past weekend that stuck out to me. It could be that overall he does great at pass blocking and I just don't notice.
Drake sucks in pass protection. He doesn't have that element of physicality when he pass blocks. Every time I see him in on pass plays he whiffs. He could be something special, he just isn't putting out that production. And you are right about keying in on him. The defense knows exactly what's coming when he is in the game. That's why we need to run him more up the middle to keep defenses guessing. Most all of his runs are sweeps and stretch plays. I'd like to see more throwing it to him out of the backfield, get him in the open where he can make plays.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that has impressed me is that we seem to be more organized and able to substitute better on 3rd down against HUNH this year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drake sucks in pass protection. He doesn't have that element of physicality when he pass blocks. Every time I see him in on pass plays he whiffs. He could be something special, he just isn't putting out that production. And you are right about keying in on him. The defense knows exactly what's coming when he is in the game. That's why we need to run him more up the middle to keep defenses guessing. Most all of his runs are sweeps and stretch plays. I'd like to see more throwing it to him out of the backfield, get him in the open where he can make plays.

I wonder why we haven't used him at WR.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that has impressed me is that we seem to be more organized and able to substitute better on 3rd down against HUNH this year.

Yeah they hustle to get it changed.

I wonder if we only do it when the ball is on our side of the field.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why we haven't used him at WR.
I've stopped trying to figure out what the fuck's going on in this situation. IMO, Drake needs to be opposite of Mulaney on 3rd down (or atleast running a route out of the backfield) and either Harris or Scarbrough needs to be behind Henry in the run game. If nothing else, atleast mix the shit up when Drake is in. It's the same as the Saints putting Ingram in on 3rd and short.... I wonder what the hell's about to happen...

So sick of these negative plays.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing I learned during this game is that the refs absolutely hate us. There were so many blown calls right in front of refs. It could have cost us a victory and it made this game a lot closer than it actually was.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they hustle to get it changed.

I wonder if we only do it when the ball is on our side of the field.

I believe I heard that Nick brought in someone over the summer to teach us how to affectively sub when teams go HUNH.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I heard that Nick brought in someone over the summer to teach us how to affectively sub when teams go HUNH.

Good, looks like it's paying off.

errr, I mean - no way. Everyone tells me Saban just complains about things instead of adjusting. Your sources are full of shit.