• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 6 VT vs. NC State Friday 8pm EST ESPN

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to get a jump on the game thread to discuss a few change ups.

Brewer is cleared to practice and is a game time decision to play.
Greg Stroman at WR for the rest of the season.
Nijman will get more time at tackle.
Tremaine Edmunds is getting more time at backer??

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team needs a spark. Don't know if that is Stroman or not. He has big play ability. Nijman and Edmunds should get some significant PT.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroman certainly wasn't cutting it as a DB, that's for sure. But since SL doesn't using many 3 WR sets, I doubt he'll see the field much with the exception of his return duties.

Brewer is coming back awfully fast for that kind of injury. Just a couple of weeks ago they had a doctor on SC talking about Tony Romo's collarbone injury and he said players that return quick almost always rebreak it. But since its his last year of eligibility (and likely football in general), what's he got to lose?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annual trip to Blacksburg for this one. Thought the night game would be fun, plus I start grad school at NC State in January. Let's go Hokies!

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the grad school awaz.

I'll actually be traveling through all the traffic on the way to the in-laws house in Princeton and will probably catch the game there. Then my MiL wanted me to take me to Oktoberfest the following day. I'll have to pace myself Friday night regardless of the outcome. I'm getting too old!

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Brewer is probable on the injury report and split reps with Motley this week.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team needs a spark. Don't know if that is Stroman or not. He has big play ability.

Can he run routes? Does he know routes? Can he get separation? Can he go up and highpoint a ball?

Too many questions for me to think Stroman is going to be an impact on the offensive side of the ball. Though I guess taking the 3rd WR spot isn't going to be tough.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I noticed we scored more points than the other team. Is that allowed?

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure has been a while.

Nice to see we can actually run the ball when we don't split carries between 6 guys

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure has been a while.

Nice to see we can actually run the ball when we don't split carries between 6 guys
I didnt actually think we ran the ball well at all. Besides a couple power sweeps, we got stuffed a lot.

If you take out, Mcmilians and Rodgers two power sweep plays, we averaged around 3.9 ypc which isn't very good. Its even worse if you ignore motley and consider RBs only.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much needed bounce back. I liked the fire and competitiveness the team showed but I hope the players and coaches don't think everything is back on track now because its not like the game wasn't without some pretty big issues. We played pretty poorly in the 1st quarter, exploded in the 2nd looking great, and was quiet throughout the 2nd half until like 5 minutes left. For awhile there, the game was just a contest of who was less incompetent.

Liked that we finally picked a RB with McMillian. He ended up with the most carries but I believe Rogers got more snaps. Personally, I'd still like to see McMillian used more. We all love Rogers and how competitive he is, but he's a situational player. McMillian looks to have that home run threat if he gets just a sliver of space. We need to take advantage of that any time we can get. For example, there were a handful of plays where Rogers was the back and he motioned out wide. What's the point? He's not real receiving threat. But if that's McMillian? Now we're talking a huge gain if he makes a guy miss and someone the defense must pay attention to.

I did like seeing a HB screen finally used and also a toss play. But we still need more of those. Enough with the sweeps. I haven't crunched the numbers but it seems like we're barely getting anything on them

Motley did a good job toughing it out. Loeffler is doing him no favors. He's been banged up for two weeks yet SL is still ramming him constantly. Even after he started limping last night (but before he came out), SL was acting as if nothing was wrong. That's just reckless.

Motley did pretty well finding guys but he had his downs as well. He really needs to work on throwing to Bucky. All season Bucky has been getting open but Motley routinely either throws behind him or overthrows him. Bucky is too much of a weapon to not be getting production. But at least we found Ford this game.

Facyson looked like his old self this game. That's a great sign. And Edmunds did a solid job filling in for Fuller.

Alexander is a beast. By the time he leaves campus, we're going to have to come up with a new level of "beast" to describe him

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not too mad about Rodgers getting a lot of snaps. He is probably the best 3rd down back so it makes sense for him to see the field a lot. I haven't been paying attention to Mcmillians blocking or route running but Sam Rodgers is our best blocking and route running RB at this point.