• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 6 Game Analysis: Arkansas

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB- Jacob Coker was doing good at first, then Kiffin started calling deep throws consecutively and it led to 2 INTs. If we play action on first down again, I think I am going to vomit. Run the ball, gain some yards, and THEN call play action. I swear we had a span of 4 drives that opened with a play action pass, 2 of them ending in INTs. It only worked once all night, luckily we scored on it. But Coker did show some resiliency in coming right back and driving us down the field when it mattered. And he had to throw it off of his back foot way too much last night.

RB- Henry was the gameplan, and Arkansas kept him in check for the most part, giving up only 95 yds rushing. Drake made a minimal impact, mostly just offsetting Arkansas so they wouldn't stack the box as much. I think we should run Henry from the Shotgun Tight-Wing Trips package and I-Formation more, it worked pretty well against Wisconsin and Georgia. When we try to get him outside, it just isn't working as much as it should. Drake needs to run from the Ace formation, with more blockers up front so he can get a good running start to the outside.

TE/FB- Nyeswander and OJ both had solid games blocking, and OJ did have a catch or two I believe. I wish we would use these guys more often like we did Smelley, Peek, and Williams back when we won National Championships.

WR- We seem to be getting better here. I think it has a lot to do with Saban and Kiffin finally deciding to let Coker be the man, and let him build chemistry with the receivers. Ridley had another record night, I think he is coming to fruition. H e could be unstoppable by season's end. Mullaney is another guy that is a primary target with pretty sure hands. Stewart isn't quite as great as I was expecting early on, but he is still doing pretty well. I think this group will be a great one by the time we play LSU.

OL- Geez Louise what happened to our pass protection this week? Arkansas isn't a bad defensive team, but damn, we got our shit pushed in all night. Coker might as well have brought a chair on the field on pass plays as much as he was on his ass. The run blocking wasn't quite as bad, but we seemed to have a lot of trouble getting to the second level of the defense. I don't know what happened last night, but it sure as hell doesn't need to happen this week against TAMU. They have an insane pass rush.

-------

DL- Great as usual. Held Alex Collins to his career low I believe of 26 rush yds and also forced 3 sacks. I'm so glad we actually have a D-Line. And Tim Williams is a nightmare off the edge, I believe he will be used a lot more than usual this week against TAMU instead of just a situational pass rusher.

LB- We played great against the run. I think their longest designed run was 5 yards. I don't count bootleg scrambles. I do think we could play better in zone coverage, which we will have to do against a pass happy TAMU this week. Even when Reggie got hurt, he came right back out and made a tackle. And Rueben Foster got the hit of the night on brandon Allen trying to escape the pocket.

Secondary- I feel this group doesn't get enough credit. Granted, Arkansas is down a couple receivers, but we still held them to 5.5 yds per completion. Brandon Allen's QBR was 13.4, even with 2 TDs passing. Eddie Jackson is becoming the man back there, and Cyrus is holding his own. Minkah had a hell of a game too. They got a HUGE test this week. We will see how truly good they are.

-----

Special Teams- Just when we were getting good, we went back down. Griffith was 2-4, and JK got a punt tipped. Luckily we weren't playing a good team this week. Our kick coverage was decent, our kick returns could be much better though. I miss Arenas and Maze, guys who just made plays with the ball in their hands. Cyrus is doing a pretty good job on punt returns, he seemed to return one a little bit further each time last night. And even with one punt being tipped, JK did average 50 yds per punt on 4 punts, which is outfuckingstanding.

------

Intangibles- It is hard to duplicate what we did to Georgia, especially on a soaked, chilly Homecoming night. But we did rebound after the Ridley TD, and finally got our juices flowing again. I really wish Kiffin would stop calling dumb 1st down passes. He was like 1-5 on 1st down pass plays. And the jet sweeps, they are almost as bad as the bubble screens were. But hey, one works when the other doesn't so I guess that's a plus

------

QB- B
RB- B
TE/FB- A
WR- A
OL- C+

DL- A+
LB- A
Secondary- A

Special Teams- A-

Overall Assessment- Pass blocking and play calling need to improve, like pronto. Everything else will be fine if we keep it up. And Griffith, please stop missing 26 yd FGs. It's really annoying.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiffin will cost us another game this season, I guarantee it. :L

I would like to see us put Marlon or Tony Brown back there to return punts. Both are track guys and returned punts in high school.