• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 6 @ Chiefs

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos BB... you had the courage to call a win.

I felt like they would be competitive based on past matchups with KC.
I was more hopeful than confident. Don't tell anyone though haha.

Ben still doesn't look "right" to me though. The team is good. And we can win a lot of games as long as the coaches don't ruin it. But I'm not sure how much I care about another 12 win season. This is a championship team and anything short of that is meh. And I have not seen a championship Ben yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more hopeful than confident. Don't tell anyone though haha.

Ben still doesn't look "right" to me though. The team is good. And we can win a lot of games as long as the coaches don't ruin it. But I'm not sure how much I care about another 12 win season. This is a championship team and anything short of that is meh. And I have not seen a championship Ben yet.

I think this is the year to be in the dance...yeah, the Steelers are a flawed team, but looking at the AFC at large, I see mostly flawed teams at the top, really in both conferences so my hope is that the Steelers can stay reasonably healthy and they continue to improved as the season goes.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a typical win ugly Steelers' win BUT at least they beat an until now better team. Now we'll see if they can build on that against Cinncy next week

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying only AB can muff 3 punts and give up on routes.......
I'm saying that AB is probably the greatest Steeler receiver of all time and one of the best the league has ever seen. JuJu isn't. A few mistakes doesn't make AB a bum or JuJu a hall of famer. That's kinda what I'm saying.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the win. You guys really brought the heat for 3 quarters.

I knew the Steelers were going to bring their best after losing to the Jags. I'm still kinda upset at how the missed INT into AB TD went but thats the kind of classic play that people watch football for in the first place.

Hopefully Cameron Erving isnt playing the next time we see each other.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that AB is probably the greatest Steeler receiver of all time and one of the best the league has ever seen. JuJu isn't. A few mistakes doesn't make AB a bum or JuJu a hall of famer. That's kinda what I'm saying.

And as my original comment was for was to put AB on the bench for one quarter and maybe put his ego in check.
This team will have the odds against it trying to beat the top tier teams thru the playoffs with the egos and the diva play. This team, especially the offense, is far from a unit with all the me me me going on.

And we'll never know Juju's potential, unless you throw the ball at him 10 - 20 times like AB gets, just to keep him from throwing tantrums. And people are wondering why Bryant wants to leave.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the win. You guys really brought the heat for 3 quarters.

I knew the Steelers were going to bring their best after losing to the Jags. I'm still kinda upset at how the missed INT into AB TD went but thats the kind of classic play that people watch football for in the first place.

Hopefully Cameron Erving isnt playing the next time we see each other.

Thx. I think sometimes you need a little luck to beat good teams on the road.

Steelers have a long way to go before I'm ready to say they are a complete team. But in this matchup, they seem to have success vs KC in the trenches recently. I thought Derrick Johnson being in the fold would make life a little harder make for Bell.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thx. I think sometimes you need a little luck to beat good teams on the road.

Steelers have a long way to go before I'm ready to say they are a complete team. But in this matchup, they seem to have success vs KC in the trenches recently. I thought Derrick Johnson being in the fold would make life a little harder make for Bell.
DJ helped but not having Berry hurt just as much. DJ missed one pretty huge tackle against the run but he was in coverage against Bell in some big moments, too. Chiefs dline is massive but the Steelers just make sure that they cant disengage and Bell eventually finds his holes.

I think the bigger issue for the Chiefs was on the other side of the ball. They came in with 'the best offense' in the NFL and did literally nothing for most of the game because the Steelers front 7 is so good, they played with their safeties up, blitzed and the Chiefs never challenged downfield with any real capability. The Chiefs started spreading out the Steelers later on in the game and there was some success but even then between Alex Smith and the oline there were still some issues. James Harrison's small compact (strong) size really gives Eric Fisher problems. I dont think he can bend that low and he is basically one of the only olinemen left on the Chiefs that is any good thats still healthy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ helped but not having Berry hurt just as much. DJ missed one pretty huge tackle against the run but he was in coverage against Bell in some big moments, too. Chiefs dline is massive but the Steelers just make sure that they cant disengage and Bell eventually finds his holes.

I think the bigger issue for the Chiefs was on the other side of the ball. They came in with 'the best offense' in the NFL and did literally nothing for most of the game because the Steelers front 7 is so good, they played with their safeties up, blitzed and the Chiefs never challenged downfield with any real capability. The Chiefs started spreading out the Steelers later on in the game and there was some success but even then between Alex Smith and the oline there were still some issues. James Harrison's small compact (strong) size really gives Eric Fisher problems. I dont think he can bend that low and he is basically one of the only olinemen left on the Chiefs that is any good thats still healthy.

Yeah...I think the OFC (lack of production) eventually affected the DEF as PIT had the ball almost a full Qtr longer. Bell being such a big factor made it less of Ben's game and that in turn took Houston out of the game somewhat.

Butler has not been this aggressive all season, but coming off a really bad loss to JAX and facing as you said the #1 OFC they came in guns ablazing, plus the front 3 DL played well...Smith was sacked 3 times, but I counted half dz QB hits, several from DL...I think Smith wanted to stay on task and attack deeper, but time was not in his favor a lot of the time.

PIT came in not wanting to get burned again by a RB so they were willing to single high S a lot and even the FS was in on a few tackles inside 5 yds...not being able to connect with Kelce early I'm sure was a factor as well. Clearly this was the best DEF effort I've seen from the Steelers this season to date.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Aight man. Let it out. Men cry too. :suds:

Who's crying????

How far into the playoffs do you think this team goes????

If Ben retires at the end of the season, nobody will get the catches they will mean diddly, so if they don't get to the big dance this year, it'll be the 80's all over again.

Don't need a crystal ball to see how this one ends.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's crying????

Lighten up Francis. I just meant that you seemed to be frustrated with the team right now.

If Ben retires at the end of the season, nobody will get the catches they will mean diddly, so if they don't get to the big dance this year, it'll be the 80's all over again.

Like I said before in this thread I don't like their chances the way Ben is playing right now. I still like him to snap out of it but he needs to play better. But so does the WR group outside of AB. AB's been fantastic again so far this year. What he needs to work on is the outside drama. His play on the field has been stellar again. Bryant isn't the same. JuJu's lack of separation at the college level has translated brilliantly to a lack of separation at the pro-level and Eli has been running routes in Tomlin's doghouse most of the season so far.

The defense is taking steps. They're fast. Sometimes it seems like they are too fast. Like their confidence in their speed is leading to a lack of discipline? Sometimes you don't need to go 100 mph. Sometimes you just need to stay in your lane. The pass defense is improved. Greatly. Or at least it seems that way so far.

But this team goes as Ben goes. And right now Ben isn't Ben.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC this makes the 3rd straight win over KC...incl two win s in KC.

Coming off the really poor effort in the JAX game I think it was reasonable for us to expect a good effort vs KC...top team in the AFC.

One thing I think is becoming pretty clear now is the Steelers have a slight edge in the trenches vs KC on both sides of the ball...maybe more than slight.

OFC...3 of 5...1st down and goal at the 2 and settle for 3 gets you beat on the road. This is why I'll probably never be a big Haley fan. They get 6 off a fluke play...should have been picked and AB takes it for 6...great play on his part, but lot of luck in that one...take that away and all we have is a dominating performance by the OL and Bell. I've singled him out for his bad play I need to commend Hubbard today...he played great, and Finney was solid as he normally is backing up Foster. Pleased with the outcome of course, but they should've had 24+ pts....still would like to see more diversity...JJ is not showing any targets, but I know he had 1, McDonald 2, JSS 3...that worked in this one, but still only 2 TDs, one a fluke. Like seeing Connor get a few touches...I still think they can do better there.

DEF...4 of 5...the bigs inside are simply better than their G, C, G combo. Love the scheme by Butler this week. Brought heat constantly and effectively...Hilton had another solid game, obviously VWill. Only 3 sacks registered, but probably a half dz QB hits.....****I digress here. Did anyone else feel a little sickened watching that play where Mitchell hit Alex Smith low from behind...he got flagged and I'm glad he did get caught and hopefully an envelope from NY...I'm like WTF are you doing?!!!**** I've officially had it with Mitchell.

ST...3 of 5...coverage overall wasn't bad, kicking game, but a turnover knocks that grade down.

Outlook...Good AFC win pushes them to 4-2 going home to face the Bengals. With BAL losing to CHI (also) the Steelers are back in front of the DIV...some locker room issues Tomlin has to deal with...Bryant, but he's not going anywhere. Haley needs to figure out how to get more touches to the wide cast of weapons.

Of course we know CIN and PIT are not on the friendliest of terms, and we can expect a chippy hard fought game...If the OL plays like they did in KC I like them to go to 5-2.

Great writeup ATL! :suds:

O... Hit the nail on the head. We've known for a few seasons now that it takes a bit of luck & top notch play by the players themselves to overcome Haley's inept playcalling. It's a growing theme this season, but Haley definitely needs to figure out a way to get more involved. No excuse to be this piss poor in the RZ or on 3rd downs.

D... Mitchell has always rubbed me the wrong way, but this season seems to be far worse. He acts like a child, and his level of play is regressing. It was on full display against KC. Not only the dirty play by going low on Smith, but also the dirty hit on the WR (RB?) that was wrapped up in a gang tackle and Mitchell led into a helmet to helmet. He got away with that hit. I'd love for the league to suspend him but they won't.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say that it is very refreshing seeing you guys come down on Mitchell's dirty play.... I know many of you are critical of Burfict's antics. Nice to see folks not being hypocritical when it's their guy that is playing dirty.

Looks like the Steelers got their groove back, just in time for Marvin's circus to come into town. While most coaches use the bye to their advantage, the Bengals do just the opposite. Give the points this week and you guys will be happy twice.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lighten up Francis. I just meant that you seemed to be frustrated with the team right now.

Like I said before in this thread I don't like their chances the way Ben is playing right now. I still like him to snap out of it but he needs to play better. But so does the WR group outside of AB. AB's been fantastic again so far this year. What he needs to work on is the outside drama. His play on the field has been stellar again. Bryant isn't the same. JuJu's lack of separation at the college level has translated brilliantly to a lack of separation at the pro-level and Eli has been running routes in Tomlin's doghouse most of the season so far.

The defense is taking steps. They're fast. Sometimes it seems like they are too fast. Like their confidence in their speed is leading to a lack of discipline? Sometimes you don't need to go 100 mph. Sometimes you just need to stay in your lane. The pass defense is improved. Greatly. Or at least it seems that way so far.

But this team goes as Ben goes. And right now Ben isn't Ben.

:duck:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's crying????

Honestly Psych...from what I seen from PIT and around the league, they could lose in the 1st round, or they could win it all...it's early still, but imo the league looks pretty average this season at the top.

Post Ben...yeah they will suck for a while, but with this DEF still developing, they may not bottom out (3-4 win team)...6-10 to 9-7 type bad.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post Ben...yeah they will suck for a while, but with this DEF still developing, they may not bottom out (3-4 win team)...6-10 to 9-7 type bad.
Which would mean they will stay just good enough to NOT get a viable replacement for Ben.

I'm also still not convinced that Ben won't play another 2-3 years. He just strikes me as too fond of being Superman to settle for a life as Clark Kent before he absolutely has to.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which would mean they will stay just good enough to NOT get a viable replacement for Ben.

I'm also still not convinced that Ben won't play another 2-3 years. He just strikes me as too fond of being Superman to settle for a life as Clark Kent before he absolutely has to.

The Steelers probably wouldn't ask for it back, but if Ben leaves early technically he would owe a portion of his signing bonus back...the DET WR, Calvin Johnson retired early and abruptly so the Lions asked for their pro-rated signing bonus back which of course pissed off Johnson....could that be a factor?

IDT so...the Rooney's don't operate that way...I'm still leaning towards him playing in '18 and that will be it....'19 is the last yr on his deal IIRC.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he's signed for this season and the next two after this? I could see him maybe playing out that deal and calling it a day. I could also see him going somewhere else and talking shit on us too. :D