• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5: Pitt vs VT at Noon, Regional TV

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "regular season" begins now that all those pesky exhibition games are over. :rolleyes2:

Game is at Noon and it's televised on RSN so check your local listings (or ESPN3). Should be another wet one with Joaquin hanging out.

With Fuller out for the season, Edmunds is suppose to be getting the start with Stroman moving back to nickel. We better have toughened up quick since last Saturday or Pitt will run right over us. They lost James Conner but their back up is still getting over 100 yards and they still have Tyler Boyd at WR too.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "regular season" begins now that all those pesky exhibition games are over. :rolleyes2:

Game is at Noon and it's televised on RSN so check your local listings (or ESPN3). Should be another wet one with Joaquin hanging out.

With Fuller out for the season, Edmunds is suppose to be getting the start with Stroman moving back to nickel. We better have toughened up quick since last Saturday or Pitt will run right over us. They lost James Conner but their back up is still getting over 100 yards and they still have Tyler Boyd at WR too.

Ruh roh. And we have the 103rd ranked rush defense, allowing 205 yards per game on the ground. Really hope the front 7 steps up, and we need Dadi/Ekanem to record their 1st sacks this game too. I think they will.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh great, Ron Cherry is the ref.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not the start we wanted.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
V

Nice answering drive with some long conversions. I don't like all the pressure Pitt is getting though.
Its true they have been getting pressure but we have done a good job making them pay with QB draws/screens. Our protection has been good and we've gotten some throws downfield as well.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Pitt isn't using Voytik more. He can burn on runs and the middle of the field is wide open like it has been numerous games in the past. Still, we've at least clawed back into the game. The O-line needs to get its shit together though. There are some open guys down field if they could block for 2 seconds. Glock sure does make a ton of mistakes for a guy with his experience

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to take advantage of the fumble with a TD here.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there's another sack :doh:

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isaiah Ford did dress today, right?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp, that pressure did end up killing us on offense: 100 TOTAL yards, 7 sacks and 3 INTs.

Defense did an 'okay' job considering no help from the offense, but they were still very vulnerable.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a trash offensive performance. The OL was complete shit, totally overpowered and confused all day. And Loeffler did us no favors at all with his game plan. He never adjusted to the blitzes by having Motley move outside the pocket, hit some quick RB/TE screens (or just pass to his check downs), or hit them with some RB draws between the tackles after you've lured the blitz in. He just stuck with the same shit all day; sweeps and counters to the outside or Motley in the pocket staring down a single receiver down field. And Motley finally got burned on those stare downs which he's been doing all year. I also don't like them sending Motley back out there. If he's got a hurt shoulder and we need to throw to win (which we did), why the hell are you putting a QB in there with a hurt throwing arm? Lawson CAN throw. I refuse to believe he's worse at throwing than an injured Motley.

Defense was just ok but I agree with Cobrabit. They were vulnerable and Pitt could have hit us a lot more than they did. They got pretty conservative in the 2nd half for some reason. In the end, the loss is a lot like the others over the last 3 years or so. Making enough plays to stay in a game, but not disciplined enough to win them and the weaknesses are still the same areas.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its finally time to blow it up. There is a good chance we don't even make a bowl game this year.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a trash offensive performance. The OL was complete shit, totally overpowered and confused all day. And Loeffler did us no favors at all with his game plan. He never adjusted to the blitzes by having Motley move outside the pocket, hit some quick RB/TE screens (or just pass to his check downs), or hit them with some RB draws between the tackles after you've lured the blitz in. He just stuck with the same shit all day; sweeps and counters to the outside or Motley in the pocket staring down a single receiver down field. And Motley finally got burned on those stare downs which he's been doing all year. I also don't like them sending Motley back out there. If he's got a hurt shoulder and we need to throw to win (which we did), why the hell are you putting a QB in there with a hurt throwing arm? Lawson CAN throw. I refuse to believe he's worse at throwing than an injured Motley.

Defense was just ok but I agree with Cobrabit. They were vulnerable and Pitt could have hit us a lot more than they did. They got pretty conservative in the 2nd half for some reason. In the end, the loss is a lot like the others over the last 3 years or so. Making enough plays to stay in a game, but not disciplined enough to win them and the weaknesses are still the same areas.
We didn't even get to see if Motley could throw because he kept getting sacked. Maybe it was just painful but not really effecting his throwing motion? I'm not sure I would want Lawson taking the punishment Motley got either.

Plus in limited playing time, its obvious Lawson isn't close to Motley right now in terms of throwing the ball.