• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 4: VT @ ECU, 3:30est on ABC/ESPN2

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a sloppy game like this and the track record we have had a couple of years I am thinking this is the last year we will be seeing FB as coach. Pains me to say that but Virginia Tech should not be losing to ECU two years in a row - I don't give a shit about how bad the refs are in this game.

Hats of to Motley also - he has really stepped up and exceeded expectations as our backup.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-We didn't show up to play today. At all. Thoroughly unprepared and outplayed because of it. We know how ECU plays. Everyone knows what they do and that they are more than capable of beating teams yet there seemed to be tons of confusion and poor effort.

-Secondary play was trash. The back 7 in general were the main culprits of all the confusion. Several times during the game, guys were on the wrong side of the field and scrambling to find their assignment just as the ball was snapped. We gave up a touchdown because of that and ECU missed several other uncovered receivers. Mook had a couple lapses like that but it looked liked Stroman had it worst of all. I'm fairly certain he got benched for Riley somewhere in the 3rd quarter. Fuller is the man but there's no excuse to play that poorly in his absence. It's like we've never practiced before. And what was up with all that cushion? We giving up like 8 yards of space.

-Someone needs to teach this defense how to tackle large men. Arm tackles aren't gonna bring down guys like Summers or Cardale Jones (guys that are 230+). The only person I saw going low and trying to wrap was Adonis Alexander, a true freshman. Other teams have weight rooms too.

-The backers and/or ends, whoever had responsibility for the QB, were awful. Maddy did his job and shut down the RBs. No one else did theirs. We've seen this for a couple of years now in our losses. Foster needs to adjust his scheme. The ends are crashing too far down field and the backers run too far into the line and its leaving 10 to 15 yards wide open for a pass or run. Opposing runners are beating the one on one against the backers and have free yardage. Of course, if we'd stop with the weakass arm tackling it would help, but at some point, you have to adjust.

-Motley did well with what I thought was a shit gameplan. Loeffler totally abandoned the RBs after minimal gains up the middle and instead decided to ram Motley up the middle constantly. We have two QBs! You're gonna get him killed. Let him throw more and get McMillian, Newsome, or JC outside in space. He had to have been worn out by the end of the game. That's just dumb.

-Speaking of dumb, why'd we take our sweet ass time when we got the ball back with 5 minutes left? Piss poor clock management. It's like the coaches thought it was just a given we were gonna tie it up. We wasted so much time.

-It didn't have much impact in the game but that targeting call was total horseshit. Those refs need to be fired. Huelskamp was CLEARLY in his tackling motion as the QB was sliding. What's he suppose to do? Freeze in midair? I don't mind them calling it live to set up a review because players do need to be protected. But its so damn obvious on the replay that its inexcusable to call that targeting. Seriously, those refs need to be punished.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alas, nothing will be done, as there is zero accountability in this program under Frank.

Aside from being ~.500 over the last year, in our last 6 games at Lane (supposedly a tough place to play) against P5 schools, we're 1-5 with only a win over UVA

It's time to realize this is needs to be the end.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dear Whit,

Replace this man. I'll will donate to his retirement package

All jokes aside, that response is so damn predictable yet part of the problem