• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3: Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh (9/15/2012)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LT could still be projected high just based on his tools. Tannehill and Osweiler come to mind as players who didn't have great seasons statistically but shot up in the draft because of workouts and the combine. If they keep playing the way they are I sure don't see Gayle or Exum leaving early. It seems like you've really got to produce unless you're a QB. Fuller could I guess but if this season goes badly I don't think he'll want to go out like that

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarrett's issue at FS wasn't his head but his lack of being vocal. He is a quiet kid, but who cares. Right now, he is the best player on our defense (including Fuller) and it is time to find a new leader. Get his ass out there and let him lead and make the calls. I almost feel as if he is itching for the opportunity.

Then by all means slide him over to FS and tell him to get over his natural quietness, while he's on the field, for the good of the team. Lots of guys are quiet off the field and very different on it. I agree that at this point he seems to have some fire in him, and hopefully that will carry over and help him be more vocal, if he isn't intimidated by the extra responsibility.

But our best defensive player? I'm not sure I'd go that far...

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont see the need to move Jarrett, he is the one guy who is playing his position and playing it well. As i've said since wk 1 bonner is the biggest prob in the d backfield, move him back to corner with some help from others and exum back to safety where he played most of last season. Neither are 'beast' at those positions but arent liabilities either. This isnt only whats best for the team but would be in their best interest also.

BTW does anyone know if there is somewhere to re-watch this game? I didnt DVR and they didnt show the local rebroadcast like they usually do on sunday night.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't pretend to understand how Exum played FS while Whitley called the shots from Rover last year. Maybe something similar would work this year, with Exum at FS and Jarrett calling things from Rover. But I'm skeptical, guessing that it was one thing for that to work with a veteran secondary last year and another for it to work with our current group. Maybe.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see the need to move Jarrett, he is the one guy who is playing his position and playing it well. As i've said since wk 1 bonner is the biggest prob in the d backfield, move him back to corner with some help from others and exum back to safety where he played most of last season. Neither are 'beast' at those positions but arent liabilities either. This isnt only whats best for the team but would be in their best interest also.

Trying not to totally freak out and jump the gun about the secondary right now, but if we were to lose the key piece (Fuller) for an extended period of time, we are in SO SO SERIOUS trouble (which we kind of knew coming into the season). Was James Farrow in line to be a major contributor/even a starter this year? I know Boye was falling down on the depth chart but was he really that bad? Should we re-consider looking at some PSU guys for next year (if nothing else, for depth until we can get the young guys rolling). Something needs to be done about this defense. I am a little bit worried....

Can we just get Fisher, Fuller, Clark, etc. to skip their senior seasons???

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Trying not to totally freak out and jump the gun about the secondary right now, but if we were to lose the key piece (Fuller) for an extended period of time, we are in SO SO SERIOUS trouble (which we kind of knew coming into the season). Was James Farrow in line to be a major contributor/even a starter this year? I know Boye was falling down on the depth chart but was he really that bad? Should we re-consider looking at some PSU guys for next year (if nothing else, for depth until we can get the young guys rolling). Something needs to be done about this defense. I am a little bit worried....

Can we just get Fisher, Fuller, Clark, etc. to skip their senior seasons???

I agree with you about being in trouble if we lose fuller but without change we are in trouble with our without him. IMO we lost this game in the 1st Q while he was still in the game, he is a great CB/DB but he cant cover the entire field. As far as Farrow is concerned im not sure what his status was after last year but at least he provided some depth. Boye was falling down the DC but I think in a live game TG/BF may have considered playing him over cole who made a few plays but isnt ready for a full game.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
reading through those comments now to kill some time .. most of them are very similar .. some very good points.

27 > 21. Old Blue thats the number of NFL players Alabama has in comparison to Va Tech. (according to ESPN.com) This of course doesn’t count practice squad players which Tech has only 3 that I am aware of, so Alabama may be filling up the practice squads making up this “far more” number you are referring to. It’s coaching and development, not talent, (OL difference is only 5 to 3). Our 85 might not be as deep as Bama, LSU, etc. but there isn’t this huge gigantic gap as far as players go. Its coaching people. The whole offensive staff has to wake up. Foster had a poor game, and got suckerpunched. Ok bad Foster but he has an excellent resume of performance. When was the last time we worried someone would come steal Stinespring away? Never. After 20 yrs of being on the staff I can’t remember one, will they offer Stinespring moment. Speaks volumes.

I tend to agree with that one .. Yeah -- there are teams that are deeper and more talented than VT, in general .. but I don't know that it matters THAT much. Coaching, execution, focus, leadership .. all of those buzzwords have a lot to do with it too.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What's really troubling is the coaches talking about how "we're so close", "just need a little consistency", "we need to execute" No the players just aren't good enough. Consistency with execution means you are good. Consistency is the difference between bad/good/great players. That kind of talk says to me that they think they're doing the right thing and it's going to only take time and practice. It says that they are blaming the failures on the players and not themselves, the ones who recruited those players, developed them, and are asking them to make the offense work. Yes of course I'm talking about the offense because that is the problem. It was even the problem in the Pitt game when they gained over 500 yards on us. An offense is supposed to do its job and not count on the rest of the team to carry the load because eventually they will tire of it. It's demoralizing to watch this pathetic offense as a fan and I'm sure it is for the defense too. The main problem with this team is Newsome with Stinespring a close second. Neither should have the jobs they do on a team anywhere near the upper half of FBS football. The third problem is Beamer himself for hiring them number one and allowing them to stay after repeated poor performance year after year. I'm hoping Beamer retires very soon unless he makes a change with at least Newsome or Stinespring after this year. Right now I don't think Beamer adds anything to the staff anymore unless it's that he's keeping the nucleus of the team, Foster, Gray, Wiles, together. The game has passed him by much like Paterno and Bobby Bowden.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do any of you guys comment on Andy Bitter's blog? A lot of these comments sound very familiar...

so, i guess it's either you guys commenting....that, or everyone in Hokie Nation, other than FB and Weaver understand the main problems

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybittervirginiatechfootball/2012/09/17/hokies-still-have-uncertainty-on-offense-trying-to-find-what-group-can-do-well/

Pretty sure its the bolded. Makes me wish I had T Boone Pickens like cash to make some changes.

And to touch on that comment above about the number of Bama players in the NFL etc. It's just not a VT issue. It's an SEC vs ACC issue. If you go down the rosters, the ACC has more talent in the NFL than the SEC but as we all know, the ACC is a fairly poor conference. The reason? It's coaching. To win national titles, you need a strict, hard nosed type coach. Nick Saban may be an asshole, but he gets the job done. There's no coach like than in the ACC. If a school ever gets one, look out. They'll dominate this conference for years. The talent is here. It's just waiting for the right coach to utilize it correctly.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at the depth chart for the Pitt game. All of our O Lineman except Painter graded out above 84% :L

Andy Bitter tweeted that earlier today. Were the coaches even watching the game?? :L :L

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've decided that these grades apply to attempting to do the right thing. If one of our linemen graded 84% for the Pitt game then 84% of the time they attempted to block the correct man, and some undisclosed % of the time they succeeded. This is the only way I can correlate these BS "grades" with our actual performance.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarrett's issue at FS wasn't his head but his lack of being vocal. He is a quiet kid, but who cares. Right now, he is the best player on our defense (including Fuller) and it is time to find a new leader. Get his ass out there and let him lead and make the calls. I almost feel as if he is itching for the opportunity.

Sounds like Jarrett is ready to be more vocal. Per Bitter's blog --> Jarrett said the communication broke down in the secondary when Fuller went out. “For future references I feel like a lot more guys are going to step up,” he said. “Even though we’re young, including myself, I could definitely step up and take charge and be more vocal for everyone else.”

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've decided that these grades apply to attempting to do the right thing. If one of our linemen graded 84% for the Pitt game then 84% of the time they attempted to block the correct man, and some undisclosed % of the time they succeeded. This is the only way I can correlate these BS "grades" with our actual performance.

We have a very good program and SOME very good coaches but this is exactly the reason why we lose a gimme just about every season and can't get over the hump.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a very good program and SOME very good coaches but this is exactly the reason why we lose a gimme just about every season and can't get over the hump.

Rep.

Honestly, I used to get really upset when we were embarrassed on National TV. But over time, I have started to get immune to these type of shenanigans. I just shake my head and move on...

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with a few average years, if we would bring in a whole new offensive staff, maybe tell Beamer to take a hike, and bring in some baller ass big name, program changing coach.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rep.

Honestly, I used to get really upset when we were embarrassed on National TV. But over time, I have started to get immune to these type of shenanigans. I just shake my head and move on...

I will agree with this. We always have a WTF! game, so like you said, just have a beer and move on. It may take an hour or so to let my adreneline/nerves calm back down, but all you can say is that we played like crap and [insert team] didn't and they just kicked our ass.