• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3 @ Bears

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2-0 Steelers head to the windy city of Chicago to play Da Bears who are 0-2.

I've seen a little bit of both of the Bears games this season vs ATL and TB...like every team in the league, they have some players, but watching them play, I don't see enough on OFC for the Bears to win much more than 3 or 4 games.

Injuries...I'm probably going to be leaning on @FaCe-LeE-uS all season here, but what is out there so far...TJ Watt (groin) questionable. Apparently this is not a serious pull, sounds like a slight strain if they are considering playing him. Tuitt (biceb) questionable. Stephon is really trying to play this week so it will likely come down to his ability to practice at least today or tomorrow. Wilcox (concussion) questionable. No clue what phase of the protocol he's in. Hawkins (knee) is listed as out.

Outlook...the Bears played okay at home vs ATL, especially the DEF. They looked slow on the road vs Tampa. I mentioned they have some players...Leonard Floyd..LOLB...GA boy coming off the edge is playing better than I expected, looks like Gilbert will face him. Eddie Goldman, NT is a beast of manhad a sack last week...Akiem Hicks LDE...probably their best pass rusher. These guys can all play...the Steeler OL needs to play at a high level to put this team away early. On OFC they just don't have much to be afraid of. Tarik Cohen is a rookie RB and also catches passes...PIT has not played a complete game on OFC yet...I'm not sure if this will the break out week, but Point blank...this should be another dbl digit win for the Steelers.

I'm going with 27-13 Steelers.

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... I really want to believe this is the game that the offense starts clicking, but I'm not so sure. I could see Haley trying to get Bell the ball early & often in this game like he usually does. Which would play right into the Bears' best defensive strength. Bears have a good defensive front. Should be interesting to see how the O-line handles them. Especially when they may be down 2 players (see injury section). The WRs shouldn't have any problems in this game. Ben should be able to find open receivers. The Bears have 1 of the worst 3rd down defenses (50% allowed) & are giving up an average of 26 pts per game. The recipe for success is there, but the Steelers need to play cleanly to find it. Ben's woes on the road need to end this week or this game could be much closer than we'd like.

Defense... Chicago's offense has had some great success on 3rd downs (44%), and surprisingly is averaging 305yds of offense per game. But they are hindered by their passing game. Mike Glennon's success hinges on his short range passes. Especially dump-offs to Howard & Cohen. This defense is going to have to key on the flats. LBers need to play disciplined football this week. Howard is hampered by injury, but they will still have their hands full with Cohen. I'm hoping to see Butler continue applying the pressure. We should see another stout performance from this defense.

Injuries... Sort of a laundry list this week. Tuitt practiced today in limited capacity, and so did Watt & Dupree. That's a good sign for Tuitt & Watt. I expect Watt to play, but I'm thinking they will remain cautious with Tuitt. They don't "need" either to play this week so I wouldn't be surprised if both sat out. Gilbert's hamstring & James' ankle injuries are the most concerning to me. Neither practiced today. Hubbard is more than capable, but that leaves depth mighty thin. James' absence would leave the TE depth perilously thin. Grimble would be the only helmet left standing. McDonald still hasn't practiced, but Tomlin said his back was "perking up". McGee could get the call up from the PS if neither McDonald or James practice this week. Wilcox is in the final stages of concussion protocol and was a full participant at practice today. He should be good to go this week unless he has symptoms tomorrow. Other causes for concern was both DHB & Pouncey are dealing with illnesses. Might be the same illness that AVill had. Foster said AVill lost close to 20lbs dealing with it. So we may not have Pouncey at 100% if he plays. Fingers crossed nobody else catches this bug before kickoff.

Tempering expectations for any sort of blowout, even though it should be likely. If this was a home game I'd be all in, but an away game makes me fear the perennial trap game. Ben's been less than stellar on the road & the O-line may not be at full strength. Not worried about the Defense. They should be able to handle them easily. I'm thinking this game will be close at halftime, but Steelers should be able to handle them in the 2nd half.

Steelers 24 - Bears 10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wrong about McDonald... He did practice today!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
506 Sports - NFL Maps: Week 3, 2017

237.gif

Central PA gets to watch a game!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4pm games are complete dogs. Who wants to watch either of those matchups other than the fans of the specific teams?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... I really want to believe this is the game that the offense starts clicking, but I'm not so sure. I could see Haley trying to get Bell the ball early & often in this game like he usually does. Which would play right into the Bears' best defensive strength. Bears have a good defensive front. Should be interesting to see how the O-line handles them. Especially when they may be down 2 players (see injury section). The WRs shouldn't have any problems in this game. Ben should be able to find open receivers. The Bears have 1 of the worst 3rd down defenses (50% allowed) & are giving up an average of 26 pts per game. The recipe for success is there, but the Steelers need to play cleanly to find it. Ben's woes on the road need to end this week or this game could be much closer than we'd like.

Defense... Chicago's offense has had some great success on 3rd downs (44%), and surprisingly is averaging 305yds of offense per game. But they are hindered by their passing game. Mike Glennon's success hinges on his short range passes. Especially dump-offs to Howard & Cohen. This defense is going to have to key on the flats. LBers need to play disciplined football this week. Howard is hampered by injury, but they will still have their hands full with Cohen. I'm hoping to see Butler continue applying the pressure. We should see another stout performance from this defense.

Injuries... Sort of a laundry list this week. Tuitt practiced today in limited capacity, and so did Watt & Dupree. That's a good sign for Tuitt & Watt. I expect Watt to play, but I'm thinking they will remain cautious with Tuitt. They don't "need" either to play this week so I wouldn't be surprised if both sat out. Gilbert's hamstring & James' ankle injuries are the most concerning to me. Neither practiced today. Hubbard is more than capable, but that leaves depth mighty thin. James' absence would leave the TE depth perilously thin. Grimble would be the only helmet left standing. McDonald still hasn't practiced, but Tomlin said his back was "perking up". McGee could get the call up from the PS if neither McDonald or James practice this week. Wilcox is in the final stages of concussion protocol and was a full participant at practice today. He should be good to go this week unless he has symptoms tomorrow. Other causes for concern was both DHB & Pouncey are dealing with illnesses. Might be the same illness that AVill had. Foster said AVill lost close to 20lbs dealing with it. So we may not have Pouncey at 100% if he plays. Fingers crossed nobody else catches this bug before kickoff.

Tempering expectations for any sort of blowout, even though it should be likely. If this was a home game I'd be all in, but an away game makes me fear the perennial trap game. Ben's been less than stellar on the road & the O-line may not be at full strength. Not worried about the Defense. They should be able to handle them easily. I'm thinking this game will be close at halftime, but Steelers should be able to handle them in the 2nd half.

Steelers 24 - Bears 10

Yeah, once again we see this somewhat the same.

Bears OFC...that 305 ypg is a little deceiving imo...especially the TB game it was mop up time pretty early in that one. I think if the Steeler D can get some pressure, there is a good chance Glennon will reward them with a turnover...keep Cohen & Howard in check and I don't see anyone else that can beat you. Sims and Miller are good players but not game breakers same with the outside guys.

The only real fear I have here is much like you said..Haley trying to pound Bell and getting Ben in a some predictable down and distance situations and allowing the CHI front 7 to attack.

Injuries...Gilbert, and James totally escaped me. Coupled with McDonald...if neither of those guys can play Grimble will get a shot to show he can be a decent two way TE.

IMO, Haley needs to go to the air early and loosen up that front 7 and pound later and this game should never be in question. I'm all in on Connor getting 6-8 touches a game...with his hard hitting style behind Bell's patient style is effectively a change of pace RB to me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4pm games are complete dogs. Who wants to watch either of those matchups other than the fans of the specific teams?

Mostly.

SEA @ TN is interesting to me only because of the early season hype TN got (call it a week 11 scouting exercise)...they answered the bell in week 2 after a pretty ugly game in week 1.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly.

SEA @ TN is interesting to me only because of the early season hype TN got (call it a week 11 scouting exercise)...they answered the bell in week 2 after a pretty ugly game in week 1.
Call me crazy but I think the Titans win that game. Seattle's offense is putrid, and the Titans' D-line is criminally underrated. Jurrell Casey is a stud. Honestly that guy is a borderline top 5 interior D-lineman. I'd compare him to the likes of Geno Atkins or Fletcher Cox. And outside they have DaQuan Jones. He may not be a dominator, but he stacks in the run game and wins with strength a la Cam Heyward. I think Seattle's O-line will have issues with them. But this game hinges on Tennessee's offense. If Mariota plays clean & smart, I can see that Seattle D getting worn down in the 2nd half.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, once again we see this somewhat the same.

Bears OFC...that 305 ypg is a little deceiving imo...especially the TB game it was mop up time pretty early in that one. I think if the Steeler D can get some pressure, there is a good chance Glennon will reward them with a turnover...keep Cohen & Howard in check and I don't see anyone else that can beat you. Sims and Miller are good players but not game breakers same with the outside guys.

The only real fear I have here is much like you said..Haley trying to pound Bell and getting Ben in a some predictable down and distance situations and allowing the CHI front 7 to attack.

Injuries...Gilbert, and James totally escaped me. Coupled with McDonald...if neither of those guys can play Grimble will get a shot to show he can be a decent two way TE.

IMO, Haley needs to go to the air early and loosen up that front 7 and pound later and this game should never be in question. I'm all in on Connor getting 6-8 touches a game...with his hard hitting style behind Bell's patient style is effectively a change of pace RB to me.
Agreed on all counts!

McDonald was able to practice yesterday. Hence why we haven't seen any movement with McGee. Coaches must be optimistic about his availability. Or they are dragging their feet on it and giving McGee the reps in practice behind the scenes.

Did you read this ATL?
Is a Pittsburgh Steelers reunion with Lawrence Timmons on the horizon?

Lots of hypotheticals in there, but interesting nonetheless. Found it most interesting that he was taking a flight to Pittsburgh hours before their game. I don't think he's trying to pull a Blount by forcing Miami to cut him because he seems adamant about playing this Sunday. Even if its true I don't think a reunion is possible. There's no way the Steelers can fit his cap number into the budget.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I think the Titans win that game. Seattle's offense is putrid, and the Titans' D-line is criminally underrated. Jurrell Casey is a stud. Honestly that guy is a borderline top 5 interior D-lineman. I'd compare him to the likes of Geno Atkins or Fletcher Cox. And outside they have DaQuan Jones. He may not be a dominator, but he stacks in the run game and wins with strength a la Cam Heyward. I think Seattle's O-line will have issues with them. But this game hinges on Tennessee's offense. If Mariota plays clean & smart, I can see that Seattle D getting worn down in the 2nd half.

I like the DEF to win the battle for both teams.

TN OFC...they want to pound it with Murray (or Henry if Murray is not giving them much) and playaction, or some boot action passes. If SEA can contain the run and get them into drop back pass mode I think it will be tough for the Mariota to put up much more than 20 points.

SEA OFC...they basically want to play the same way...run it and force you to commit another guy in the box, and go to the air.

It wouldn't surprise me if TN won since they are home, but this one could go either way...FWIW...Vegas has TN +2.5.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on all counts!

McDonald was able to practice yesterday. Hence why we haven't seen any movement with McGee. Coaches must be optimistic about his availability. Or they are dragging their feet on it and giving McGee the reps in practice behind the scenes.

Did you read this ATL?
Is a Pittsburgh Steelers reunion with Lawrence Timmons on the horizon?

Lots of hypotheticals in there, but interesting nonetheless. Found it most interesting that he was taking a flight to Pittsburgh hours before their game. I don't think he's trying to pull a Blount by forcing Miami to cut him because he seems adamant about playing this Sunday. Even if its true I don't think a reunion is possible. There's no way the Steelers can fit his cap number into the budget.

McDonald...I saw where he did practice...MT has been saying he thought there was a chance he could play so I think that's the intent and the reason we have seen a roster move for McGee yet.

LT...no I had not read that one, but I've seen some other articles on him. MIA...Gase was pissed after talking with LT about his absence....whatever it was, his daughter, etc...he wasn't buying it, the fact that they went and got Anthony from the Saints makes me think they could be moving on from LT. If he doesn't play this week or next, I think he's done in MIA.

LT back...if he indeed gets released I would think Tomlin and Colbert would at least entertain him if his agent made a call. I don't see it happening either unless he's willing to play for a mil or so and take a backup role.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonald...I saw where he did practice...MT has been saying he thought there was a chance he could play so I think that's the intent and the reason we have seen a roster move for McGee yet.

LT...no I had not read that one, but I've seen some other articles on him. MIA...Gase was pissed after talking with LT about his absence....whatever it was, his daughter, etc...he wasn't buying it, the fact that they went and got Anthony from the Saints makes me think they could be moving on from LT. If he doesn't play this week or next, I think he's done in MIA.

LT back...if he indeed gets released I would think Tomlin and Colbert would at least entertain him if his agent made a call. I don't see it happening either unless he's willing to play for a mil or so and take a backup role.
Gase definitely seemed pissed off. I don't think they can move on without LT though. Their LB depth was already thin with him in the fold. But he's on the shortest leash imaginable now. Or maybe they are already trying to figure out a way to move on. Possibly trade him? Doubt there would be any suitors at this point in time with his cap number.

Pittsburgh would welcome him back with open arms if he took a huge paycut. Definitely as a backup. Poor Steve Johnson would get cut for the 3rd time in a month or less lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gase definitely seemed pissed off. I don't think they can move on without LT though. Their LB depth was already thin with him in the fold. But he's on the shortest leash imaginable now. Or maybe they are already trying to figure out a way to move on. Possibly trade him? Doubt there would be any suitors at this point in time with his cap number.

Pittsburgh would welcome him back with open arms if he took a huge paycut. Definitely as a backup. Poor Steve Johnson would get cut for the 3rd time in a month or less lol.

MIA...Gase has somewhat backed off his "indefinite suspension talk saying there is an opportunity for LT to get back in the good graces of the Dolphins so we'll see if he plays or is even with the team this week or next. I still contend if he's not back on the field within a week or two that might be a wrap in MIA.

The ILB they traded for, Stephone Anthony, a former 1st round pick is a good LB...had a great rookie season, his stat line was very good as a rookie then I think he was injured last yr maybe. I think he was drafted into 34 scheme and the last 2 seasons I think they moved to a 43 front and had him MLB2 behind Manti Teo...the guy with the fake GF a few years ago.

IMO MIA would be on shaky ground trying to recoup or void the guaranteed money...LT's actions were not so egregious to warrant losing $11 mil...the NFLPA would most likely win that case and maybe that's why Gase back tracked a little.

Early still, but I'm loving the chemistry the Steelers have right now, and as much as I'd like to see him back in PIT in any capacity I'm not expecting it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of interesting milestones to chew on...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently Tuitt's going to give it a full go at practice today. Probably will still be a limited participant though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW...Tuitt was listed as a full participant, but I can't imagine Tomlin or coach Mitch putting him through a grueling work out.

If it were me I'd wait another week, but at the same time I'd like to see him get a few snaps before going into what we know will be a physical matchup with BAL next week.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we'll have Kyle Long and Markus Wheaton for this contest. Both are a blessing, seeing as we've already lost half of our offense to injury.

This Bears team isn't hard to figure out. They have a really nice front seven, they can stop the run and are formidable enough at rushing the QB. The secondary is "so-so"... but will also get a boost from Prince Amukamara making his debut finally.

If we run the ball and don't turn it over, we should be able to hang around and give ourselves a chance in most games. As evident by Week 1 vs ATL. However, if we find ourselves behind early and playing catch-up. We also have the ability to lose by 20 to anybody.

I actually expect a tight game. Even in a disastrous year last season, this team was pretty tough at home for the most part (by the end with Matt Barkley starting, it didn't matter where we played... lol) and they probably should have beaten ATL week 1 this year. Pittsburgh hasn't exactly been great on the road in recent years (no offense).

However, you guys are clearly the superior team and it's totally the Steelers game to lose. I'm just hoping to see the Bears play with some pride, after a really ugly week of the Chicago media pounding them, their coaching staff and their QB. Glennon needs to show some kind of will to hold down the starting job, or else there's going to be a damn riot in Chicago over Trubisky sitting. lol

Here's to a (I hope) good game! Let's hope both teams stay healthy!

:suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3