• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 2 Takeaways

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21557741_10213985384294461_2210261878597162410_n.jpg

Positives

1) We found our starting running back
- Chris Carson is a physical runner who is built to run in-between the tackles. He's a chiseled 6'0 218 lbs with broad shoulders and a muscular build. Rawls has had his moments, but he's too fragile to be an every down back. Lacy is slow as molasses.

2) Championship caliber defense is back
- 26 pts given up in 2 games. 14 of them gift wrapped by a fumble and a free play on a penalty. We're back to being dominant again. LOB is healthy, our D-line is stacked (Bennett, Avril, Richardson, Clark), and our Linebackers are elite. There's not an offense out there that we can't stop.
21558688_10213985384974478_6428933272402728478_n.jpg

3) Tyler Lockett

- He played week 1 but Pete still had the training wheels on. Today he was back 100 % and we saw how electric he was in the open field.

Negatives

1) Offensive Line
- Last year was an abomination. We supposedly "improved" over the off season with new signings and a year of experience under the belt of our young linemen but.....the O-line has been just as pathetic. At some point we need to start questioning whether or not Tom Cable is the guy for this job.

2) Jimmy Graham
- 4 catches for 9 yards in two games. This was supposed to be Graham's breakout year having a couple years of experience now in the Seattle offense, growing more comfortable with Russ, but he has come out the gate running uninspired route, dropping balls, and barely making any effort when he is called on to block.

3) Russell Wilson
- Russ did the best he could given the circumstances he is playing under, but he was also missing a lot of throws today. He balled out and found a way to move the ball near the end, but as the face of the franchise we have to hold Russ to a higher standard than this.

21 pts in two games for the offense is unacceptable. The inability to convert consistently in the red zone is once again concerning. I'm confident Russ will find his groove and get it going, but for now he deserves part of the blame for the offense being so inept.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really disagree with much you said there... Carson could be a solid back for us but he's definitely deserving of the starting role...

OL and Graham have definitely been the two biggest disappointments so far this year..

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson and Lockett both stepped up and took on bigger offensive roles than in week 1, and that was pretty good to see.

The drops by McEvoy and Prosise hurt. This offensive performance looks much better if those catches are made, but it still needs to be better to get to where we want to go.

Russell can be sharper for sure, but the entire offense seems to be a work in progress. Maybe settling the RB position a bit with Carson as the primary guy is going to help. Not all that worried about QB1.

Does Lacy stay on the team all week??

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Carson should start. He had 58 yards after contacts and created 4 missed tackles. Reminds me of some runningback who plays for Oakland now.... gosh what's his name..... :D

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds weird to say this, but I was never really that worried that they'd lose. As bad as Seattle looked on offense, SF just looked too outmatched playing against the Seahawks D.

And that's the best news here at least, the defense has looked great so far this season. SF managed a few big plays that put them deep in Seahawks territory but they were held to FGs every time.

The offense has just been a disaster with tons of drops in key situations, poor redzone execution, and success only really coming when they go into hurry-up mode and Russ starts taking off sooner than usual. Makes you wonder why they don't increase the pace on every series so it runs like that, but I'd imagine the reason it works right now is precisely because they aren't running it all the time and it throws the opposing D off a bit when they change the pace up. It's also not ideal to have Wilson taking off that much on the regular. Just a matter of time before he gets hurt.

Good news is Seattle is averaging more ppg through two this year (10.5) than they did last year (7.5) so we're already on a better track than 2016!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the clock ticking on Eddie Lacy's time here? A healthy scratch for seemingly no expressed reason, which means we can only conclude it was because they just don't value him over 3 (!!!) other guys at the position.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the clock ticking on Eddie Lacy's time here? A healthy scratch for seemingly no expressed reason, which means we can only conclude it was because they just don't value him over 3 (!!!) other guys at the position.

Yep. Honestly I see Seattle making the cut once Rawls is determined to be 100% (think they took it easy on him last Sunday) and moving Mike Tyson to the active roster for run support. Montgomery and Hyde both did some work on the ground against Seattle. GB had injuries on the O-Line and SFs O-Line just isn't very good but both runningbacks produced. IMO having a tackling expert in Tyson who can help in the pass against a VERY good Titans rushing line with Murray/Henry will be key.

We'll see if I'm right.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Honestly I see Seattle making the cut once Rawls is determined to be 100% (think they took it easy on him last Sunday) and moving Mike Tyson to the active roster for run support. Montgomery and Hyde both did some work on the ground against Seattle. GB had injuries on the O-Line and SFs O-Line just isn't very good but both runningbacks produced. IMO having a tackling expert in Tyson who can help in the pass against a VERY good Titans rushing line with Murray/Henry will be key.

We'll see if I'm right.
Could be. On GB, I think Bulaga was the only guy that was missing when we played them, and if I remember it correctly he's more of a pass pro expert. They couldnt run on us at all.

I heard on the radio this morning that SF's 10 best plays on O were all with Sheldon Richardson on the sideline, no doubt their best runs included in that list.

One final comment on what Lacy has been so far: in 2 games, he's only been on the field for 6 snaps and not because of injury. This seems cut & dried.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham playing uninspired football is worrisome for me. We complain past few seasons about the offense not targeting Graham enough, but he's been getting looks the past 2 games and have dropped easy passes thrown to him. I'm beginning to wonder if he truly wants to be here.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A note i heard on the radio, the drives the niners were able to run the ball were the few that richardson was out of the rotation.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham playing uninspired football is worrisome for me. We complain past few seasons about the offense not targeting Graham enough, but he's been getting looks the past 2 games and have dropped easy passes thrown to him. I'm beginning to wonder if he truly wants to be here.

Sounds like JG is possibly battling another injury.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think once Rawls/Procise are 100% Lacy will be gone. I'm wondering if he regained some weight and looked slow during practices since he went from 6 carries to healthy scratch this week. I'd give him another week or two then he'll be cut.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson and Lockett both stepped up and took on bigger offensive roles than in week 1, and that was pretty good to see.

The drops by McEvoy and Prosise hurt. This offensive performance looks much better if those catches are made, but it still needs to be better to get to where we want to go.

Russell can be sharper for sure, but the entire offense seems to be a work in progress. Maybe settling the RB position a bit with Carson as the primary guy is going to help. Not all that worried about QB1.

Does Lacy stay on the team all week??

Watching McEvoy drop two gimme passes makes me so mad they picked HIM over Kasen Williams who was catching everything in the preseason.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching McEvoy drop two gimme passes makes me so mad they picked HIM over Kasen Williams who was catching everything in the preseason.
I suppose that's a fairly common reaction. Would Kasen Williams have caught those passes? Yeah, probably. But if you threw them to McEvoy again, I would bet he'd catch them too. Plus, the team only kept 5 WRs. They traded for that offensive lineman (Isaiah Battle) right before cut downs, so that's really the guy they decided to keep instead of Kasen. 10 offensive linemen vs the expected 9.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can PC perhaps consider playing up tempo earlier in the game and not waiting until late in the game when the pressure is on?

I understand what their game plan is. But so far it cost us one game and could have cost us a game we had no business losing.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can PC perhaps consider playing up tempo earlier in the game and not waiting until late in the game when the pressure is on?

I understand what their game plan is. But so far it cost us one game and could have cost us a game we had no business losing.
I think the reluctance has been the risk of the 1 minute possession if you don't get a 1st down. And I know sometimes the O hasn't been doing much better than that as it is, but that is still a real risk of cranking up the tempo earlier in games. I guess they need to determine if the reward of the chance of better offensive output is worth the risk.

You also often see that the more you use something, the less effective it becomes. Defenses are bound to make some adjustments, and the reasons why it works good now may disappear if the opponent is expecting us to do it.

But I get it -- at this point, the downside doesn't seem very bad when we've scored 1 TD in 2 games.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reluctance has been the risk of the 1 minute possession if you don't get a 1st down. And I know sometimes the O hasn't been doing much better than that as it is, but that is still a real risk of cranking up the tempo earlier in games. I guess they need to determine if the reward of the chance of better offensive output is worth the risk.

You also often see that the more you use something, the less effective it becomes. Defenses are bound to make some adjustments, and the reasons why it works good now may disappear if the opponent is expecting us to do it.

But I get it -- at this point, the downside doesn't seem very bad when we've scored 1 TD in 2 games.

Going up tempo often could be a strain on the inexperienced OL leading to more false starts and missed assignments... I'm not a big fan of it to start the game... I'd want the OL to get a feel for a game a bit before doing so..

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great breakdown of the opening drive...

<puts on Mr S hat>

Except Bevell didn't draw that up. Guy is incompetent. That was just sandlot football. Everybody freelancing.

<takes off Mr. S hat>