• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 2 Game Analysis: MTSU

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB- Coker was basically told to throw the ball all day with the defense knowing exactly what was coming. Bateman coming in early was Kiffin trying to get both guys some passing plays in and seeing how they reacted to different defensive schemes. I wasn't necessarily pleased with the QB play, but I know its not completely their fault Kiffin kept calling bubble screens in the redzone.

RB- Henry started off kinda slow, and was even absent for most of the third quarter, but still finished strong with 3 TDs. Drake had a huge day, with a run that would have made every highlight reel had he not been tackled at the 2. Harris again had a great showing, runs with a motor and purpose. We did solid here, but could have been better if we had enforced our will earlier in the game instead of passing all day.

TE- OJ went beast mode, I think that was the best game of his career statistically, and Flourney-Smith also had a nice catch near the end of the game. I'm liking our TE group this year.

WR- Even though Ardarious had 6 catches, they were mostly bubble screens. But Foster had a field day on running slants. He has the best set of hands on the team in my opinion. Ridley and Drake also contributed in the receiving game. *the highlight by Drake was actually a catch, but the run after the catch warranted a place in the RB analysis.

OL- We had trouble opening some holes for Henry early, but that can be partially credited by the amount of stunting MTSU was doing the whole game. Overall, we kept the QBs pretty clean, and still got 3 guys rushing for 40+ yards. Pierschbacher is becoming a force inside at LG.

----------

DL- We had almost zero pass rush in this game, played mostly coverage on the back end, and rarely blitzed. About as Vanilla as I've seen Kirby call a game in a while. MTSU did almost break 90 yds rushing, but it was on 31 rushes, and held the starting RB to 18 yds on 13 rushes. So the DL did their job stopping the run.

LB- Again, a vanilla game with vanilla pass rush on the edge. We played mostly nickel, so Devall and Lee weren't going to see the field as much. We did play great in zone coverage though. Reggie played good, and Foster was injured, still haven't heard anything on him since he came off the field.

Secondary- I think we played well here, held the starting QB to 22/42 and 174 yds. Still haven't given up the deep ball this year. Cyrus also had a great INT, but it was surprising how many times they targeted him back shoulder. Just gotta make sure when Ole Miss comes to town that we get our heads around for the ball.

------

Intangibles- I like that our guys are fighting for extra yards and trying to extend plays. Didn't see that a lot last year. Loved seeing Damien Harris hawk down that DB that got the pick late in the 4th and returned it like 80 yards. That goes a long way in game time situations where he might need to do that again. I'm really starting to like that kid. I've said it before in other places but he reminds me a lot of Mark Ingram. Also liked seeing Drake stay inbounds on that long run instead of just hopping out of bounds. Defense is starting to make more plays already than last year's defense. I like the fight in this team.

------

Special Teams- Griffith is 0-5 this year. Take him out. I don't hate the kid, but he's in the red right now. JK has been relatively quiet so far, but I'll give it time with him since he did so well last year. A sophomore slump wouldn't surprise me. Our kickoff coverage improved, but our kickoff return team has been slacking. No good kick returns yet.

Coaching- We played a very vanilla scheme this game on both sides, but Kiffin tried to resort to our old tactics of throwing screens in the redzone. Just NO. Run the football. Or throw to TEs. ANYTHING but bubble screens. Again, Kirby played a conservative nickel and dime defense this game, and it worked pretty well. The only TD we gave up, MTSU started out in the redzone after an INT, and our 3rd string D had a busted coverage.

--------

QB- A-
RB- A
TE- A
WR- A
OL- A-

DL- A
LB- A
Secondary- A-

Special Teams- C+

Overall Assessment - A-

We need to fire Bobby Williams. And keep Kiffin away from bubble screens in the red zone.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear to God the Bubble Screens piss me off so much. They worked with Blake because he had a quick release, Coker doesnt have that so its stupid to run it with him. :L

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also is Gunner Raborn still on the team?? I thought he did a good job kicking last year so maybe he should be given a shot.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of frustrated and upset with Saban at this point, so I'm refraining from saying much.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive game plan for this game was obviously geared towards getting Coker a lot of experience throwing the ball. I thought it was a great plan, Coker needs the real game experience. We could have lined up, ran the ball, forced MT to quit and win in a blowout but that wouldn't have benefited the team in the long run. I still think Coker isn't the answer, I've been saying it since A-Day, he is late on all of his throws and a good secondary will pick him apart. Griffith, really, I'm at appoint now I'd rather see the team go for it on 4th and mile than send him out there to mix another field goal. Our secondary is a mess, a good QB will expose them.

Coker's late throws and Griffith missing field goals will cost us this season. Our secondary is going to give up a lot of big plays. I hate to sound like a hater but this team will not make it to Atlanta or the playoffs unless these three things quickly improve. Right now I don't feel good at all about the Ole Miss game. Roll Tide!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban is just telling Griffith to miss so everyone is surprised when he makes one to clinch a huge victory.

:kermit:

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When / If Griffith makes a field goal, Bryant Denny will erupt in the loudest cheers ever made there!