• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 2: Furman at Virginia Tech (3:30est, ESPN3)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually a little bit worried about this game for a couple of reasons:

1. The letdown from a late Monday night showdown with Ohio St. (Remember JMU)

2. The short turnaround (though this time we aren't playing a triple option team like JMU was and so base defenses should be similar).

3. Five days to prep a new scheme for a new and totally different style quarterback in Motley.

On the main CFB I put our Hokies on upset alert but I think that we can grind our way to a low scoring game in the backs of our RB stable and hold Furman down with good defense.

Prediction: Virginia Tech 26, Furman 7

I am really really hoping for a blowout that allows us to rest our D line a bit and allows us to give Motley time to gain some confidence throwing the ball or give Durkin or Lawson time to get game experience. Next week is our first road game and even though it is Purdue, the first time kids hit the road they can come out really flat (Pitt, 2012). At least the Purdue game is not a noon start.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a JMU type thing happening so I'm not worried. (Beamer should be fired no questions asked if it does happen again though). But I could see us not covering the spread, whatever it may be. Both Durkin and Lawson are getting reps this week. I really hope one of those guys gets it.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this team should win with relative ease. I expect us to run early and often. The OL looked good last week vs tOSU and I am hoping for a dominate performance on the ground.

I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised in Motley and his passing ability once he gets settled down a little bit. He has a much bigger arm than Brewer and gives us more big play ability there. The key is if he can make the right reads quickly and get the throw in there accurately.

With that being said, I am interested in seeing Lawson and Durk in action too. Between these 3 guys, over the next month or two we are find out what we have in the tank for next year and beyond.

Hokies 35, Paladins 10

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else not finding the feed on Watch ESPN? Like, is it on TV now somewhere here in DC?

I've got it set up running from my laptop to the TV. Have you found it yet?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second was almost a TD the other way. He's just starring down his receivers so far and I really don't even know if he saw that CB on the last one. He's already made up his mind presnap

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nearly every one of Motley's passes are super late. They've had like 4 dropped picks so far.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone tell the Furman olineman that you are supposed to block the other team not tackle your own RB.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Motley did look like a player in the 3rd. Offense looked really good.

What happened to Motuapuaka? I must have missed it? Did he get hurt? Benched? Minus the easy pick six, he once again was unimpressive IMO.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Motley did look like a player in the 3rd. Offense looked really good.

What happened to Motuapuaka? I must have missed it? Did he get hurt? Benched? Minus the easy pick six, he once again was unimpressive IMO.
He got hurt.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to thekeyplay:
Head trainer Mike Goforth noted that Motuapuaka suffered a left knee sprain, Bucky Hodges bruised his right quad and Sam Rogers sprained his left ankle, but none of those should be anything serious.