• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 16 Ravens

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers vs Ravens 2.0 2016

Well fellas...here we are, where most of us expected. At 4-4, and rightfully so many of us were questioning whether this team was worthy of a playoff appearance. The Steelers have won 5 straight since losing to DAL and are now 9-5, one game up on the Ravens. But, the reality is, if they lose this game, the previous 5 really don't mean much because they will be handing their playoff fate back over to another team...most likely MIA.

The BAL Ravens come to PIT for the rematch. They have been on a winning surge themselves after losing 4 straight as well, their only loss in the last 5 came at NE. They rank 19th on OFC and 7th on DEF. They are playing about like I expected on Sept on OFC, but better than I expected on DEF...They are a gritty, blue collar, tough team that has had their way with the Steelers the last 4 times they've met. In Week 9, I really felt like the Ravens were the more intense team and even though they only scored once on OFC, they more or less controlled the game.

This game.

Injuries...Tuitt, (knee) is not as bad as they thought, still no word on if he will play yet, but I'm thinking he might go if they feel like he can't do any more harm to it. Mathews (ankle), DWill (knee) had some swelling right before the game last week so they decided against playing him. L Green (concussion) with his history I don't expect him to play. We'll see how this unfolds this week.

There are no secrets here. The Ravens don't look particularly great at anything on OFC, but they are good enough at several things to beat you. Wallace is more of a complete WR in BAL than he's been anywhere, but the deep ball is still his forte. The ageless wonder Smith, Sr is still beating people and talking shit. They've finally got Perriman healthy and he's had an impact. Also Pitta has resumed his role as Flacco's security blanket. On the ground they again, don't look flashy, but have two capable RBs in Dixon and West. If there is a difference this season, there OL is not as stout as they've been in the past.

On DEF, they're built the same way they've always been...strong interior DL and solid edge pressure. Although they have given up some 26 or more the last 2 games, they are a stingy bunch.

Outcome...In this series recently, the Ravens game plan has been double A. Brown, and key on Bell on the early downs and dare the role players to beat them...to be honest, it's worked. I'm not that concerned about BAL coming into to PIT and running up 30 pts. This game is about Haley finally figuring out he can't run his tried and true plays against this DEF the whole game and win.

Tomlin's teams play better with the backs against the wall, and even with a lead, their backs are still against the wall. I expect Haley to open up the OFC, and go off grid a bit and the Steelers to put up about 24 pts and win to lock up the AFCN DIV. 24-17 Steelers.

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WEEK 16 INJURY REPORT

PittsburghSteelers_mark.svg

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle)
T Marcus Gilbert (Not Injury Related)
TE Ladarius Green (Concussion)
QB Ben Roethlisberger (Not Injury Related)
S Shamarko Thomas (Concussion)
DE Stephon Tuitt (Knee)
LIMITED PARTICIPATION
WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Foot)
DE Ricardo Mathews (Ankle)
FULL PARTICIPATION
RB DeAngelo Williams (Knee)

BaltimoreRavens_mark.svg

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
LB Correa, Kamalei (Ribs)
CB Smith, Jimmy (Ankle)
G/T Yanda, Marshal (NIR)
LIMITED PARTICIPATION
DB/LB Levine Sr., Anthony (Toe)
FULL PARTICIPATION
G/T Lewis, Alex (Ankle)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... Even though there is some optimism about Green's availability this week, my gut agrees with ATL in thinking he won't. On the bright side, if he doesn't and the Steelers can find a way to replace his production with Rogers, Coates, James & Co, then Ladarius could possibly have 2 weeks of rest to get his head right before the postseason. Haley has the tools, but said tools need to rise to the occasion. Ravens have the proven formula to beat this offense if they don't. Raven's CB Smith's injury looms large though. He was the usual blanket to bracket AB with. I think I said it last week, but maybe Coates gets unleashed this week with the season on the line. No reason not to pull out all the stops to get the job done this week. DHB could resurface as well. The O-line & Bell need to find a groove this week against a very stout front.

Defense... Tuitt's injury is particularly worrisome. Tomlin was more forthcoming with his injury updates this week and sounded optimistic about Tuitt's participation this week. Hoping to see him get some limited participation in tomorrow. If not his availability will get very cloudy, very quickly. Eyes will be on Matthews as well. Without either, the depth of the D-line is scary thin. Hargrave, Walton & McCullers would be the only available players. Caushaud Lyons & Johnny Maxey are available on the PS for emergencies, but that's obviously not the ideal situation. It's gut check time so I'm thinking both Tuitt & Matthews will play. I wouldn't expect to see Tuitt in there for over 90% of the snaps though. Should be interesting to see how Mitchell does this week. I think he will be particularly motivated this week after his shortcomings during the previous meeting, and his feud with Steve Smith. And hoping to see Burns, Cockrell & Davis continue to improve. Timmons & Shazier need to be the monsters they have been.

Overall... It's going to be a gutsy type of day. Both teams are fighting for their playoff lives, so nothing will be held back. Ravens have been the thorn in Pittsburgh's side over the last couple seasons. Hoping to see that trend disappear, and this week will be a huge test. This game will prove what this team is made of. Will we see the incredible potential materialize in all 3 phases? Or will the once flawed team resurface and prove unworthy? December football, primetime on X-mas day with the entire nation watching, against a long-time division rival and its win or go home, feast or famine... This is the type of game these players dreamed of as little kids. These sort of situations don't come around very often, and its when Steel City legends are made. Let the inner lions out gentlemen. :mad2:

Mind the juju... :hope:

BAL 28 - PIT 24

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see Matthews practicing... Now they just need Tuitt to practice today

And interesting seeing Coates pop up on the injury report...

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see Matthews practicing... Now they just need Tuitt to practice today

And interesting seeing Coates pop up on the injury report...

The whole thing with Green, I think we may have seen the last of him for the season.
IMO, a serious waist of cap space. The guy was a big plus to the team, but for what...3 games....SUCKS.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing with Green, I think we may have seen the last of him for the season.
IMO, a serious waist of cap space. The guy was a big plus to the team, but for what...3 games....SUCKS.
Doubt he's in any jeopardy of missing out on the postseason games, but the final 2 are likely. Like I said in my analysis, if Green doesn't play on X-mas and the Steelers figure out a way to win without him, then he will sit the Cleveland game. As should most of all of the Steelers starters. No sense in risking anyone to injury for the 0-15 Browns right before the postseason.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt he's in any jeopardy of missing out on the postseason games, but the final 2 are likely. Like I said in my analysis, if Green doesn't play on X-mas and the Steelers figure out a way to win without him, then he will sit the Cleveland game. As should most of all of the Steelers starters. No sense in risking anyone to injury for the 0-15 Browns right before the postseason.

I agree Dude.
But all that horseshit about him being out for the ankle was just that, horseshit.
It would be a plus to have him for the playoffs, but if there is any signs of this lingering like his last one did, then it would be safe to say he needs to make a career change. Or he could keep going and be the next Merril Hoge.