• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1, Indianapolis Colts at Los Angeles Rams, 9/10/17, 1:05pm PST

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Rams host the Indianapolis Colts in Week 1 at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Having trimmed their roster over the weekend, the Los Angeles Rams are ready to begin Week 1. They will spend the week getting ready to play the Indianapolis Colts. Here are some things to consider as they prepare for the game.

McVay starts head coaching career at home

mcvay2.jpg

Sean McVay has been getting his introduction into the life of an NFL coach this summer and in the preseason. When he coaches his first game on Sunday, it will be from the friendly confines of the LA Coliseum. This is significant because it is one less thing to think about as he prepares his team for this game; not having to worry about travel, the opposing crowd, a hostile environment, etc. Starting his coaching career at home is a welcome advantage for McVay.

Will LA show up 90 thousand strong to support their team?

nflram3d_1.jpg

The first day of the rest of Jared Goff’s life...

The dreadful 2016 season is over. Jared Goff gets to start the year as the starting QB for the Rams. He has a coach and a general manager who have gone all-in on supporting him and have been committed to getting him the talent, protection, and coaching he needs to succeed. This Sunday we get our first real taste of what that is going to look like in a scenario that counts. It will be interesting to see how he does.

la-sp-rams-jared-goff-20161025-snap

That being said, prepare yourself for overreaction Monday. No matter what happens, there will be talk that Goff is fixed or that the Goff experiment didn’t work. We will likely not know from one game, friends. Let’s give it time.

The Colts are not at full strength

Andrew Luck is reportedly unlikely to play Week 1. This leaves QB Scott Tolzien and QB Jacoby Brissett, recently acquired from the Patriots, as the options at signal caller. It will be difficult for Brissett to get ready to start this week, so it will likely be Tolzien starting. This is good news for the Rams, as he had a rough preseason.

1124_colts-steelers-tolzien-dropback-ap_622.jpg

In addition, one of the Colts most valuable offensive lineman, C Ryan Kelly, is out with a foot injury. This makes a mediocre interior offensive line look poor, and opens them up to pressure up the middle (Imagine if Aaron Donald played). Lastly, the Colts top corner, CB Vontae Davis, is out with a groin injury. This may mean that WR Sammy Watkins, WR Robert Woods, WR Cooper Kupp, and company can expose the secondary for the Colts and move the ball.

The Colts are the still the favorite

Despite these injuries and the Rams having home field advantage, multiple sites still have the Colts listed as a 3.0-3.5 point favorite. A losing reputation is difficult to overcome. We will see how these lines move as we get closer to game time and information about the starting QB becomes more available. The Colts were recently 26th on Fansided's own NFL Power Rankings. (The Rams were 25th).

This game is definitely winnable for the Rams.

Can they make it happen?

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOW the heck are we still not the favorites, colts can't win without luck.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOW the heck are we still not the favorites, colts can't win without luck.
:noidea:

Scott Tolzian has 2 TD's & 7 INT's in 2 NFL Career Starts. Jacoby Brissett, who has looked good in the preseason, wasn't traded to the Colts until late Friday nigh. He certainly can't be up to speed come Sunday, but even then he has 0 TD's & 0 INT's in 2 NFL Career Starts.

I like our chance to win outright Red.

We will likely be the favorite come kickoff, the only question remaining, will we be favored by more than the 3 points they give to the home team?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is definitely a winnable game without Luck starting for them (although we crushed them with Luck up in Indy the last time we played them). If we can keep Hilton in check and force them to throw to other WR's (along with pressure early and often, making him very uncomfortable), I think our new 3-4 defense will have a solid debut, even without the holdout.
I'm also interested in seeing how the new look offense will look now that it's actually the regular season. I'd like to see Gurley redeem himself after his lackluster sophomore season last year.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Rams chances as long as the OL plays solid and Goff can manage the game without making mistakes.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me want to take the points now before the line moves.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the unofficial depth chart for week 1. Austin is a starter over Kupp, but I think we all know that Kupp is going to see significant snaps on offense. Same for Everett.

Also, it's great to see Smart on the starting DL. He may be our late round gem this year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be an interesting game on soooo many levels. The McVay era begins. If his reminder caricature is any evidence of things to come (i.e. McVay reminds me of Knox/Vermeil) We should expect a nice win!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew it. Tanziel Smart is starting against the Colts. AD fools around long enough, he'll be gonso. Also, the D is NOT going to face Luck or the center. Both out. I'd like to hope for an ass-whippin' but I shaint be to hasty!!

Last edited:

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone going to the game on Sunday?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official. AD will not play tomorrow and he will forfeit his first paycheck. We will see how long this continues until the selfish bastard comes back because he misses the money. Maybe he should join Kaeperdick in flippin' burgers for $10-15 per hour.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official. AD will not play tomorrow and he will forfeit his first paycheck. We will see how long this continues until the selfish bastard comes back because he misses the money. Maybe he should join Kaeperdick in flippin' burgers for $10-15 per hour.

He's coming back today...this whole "AD is selfish for wanting a new contract" is total crap.

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Luck out, excellent shot at getting a W here. If they lose this one, it could be another long season.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked the Colts in my pick 'ems.....but I think the Rams win this, 17-13.