• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We dropped to 8th in the Coaches Poll

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole worrying about what teams lose to who is unnecessary. All they can do is control what's ahead of them. The rest will work itself out. Our biggest threat to being bumped is not a second SEC team, but a BIG team. If Mich st wins out, including a win over OSU, then I think the committee will favor them over us being in a conference and clinging to some old notion that the BIG is still a major power. OSU and their pussy schedule, with a win over Mich. St will vault them too. All we can do is handle our business. We sweep the BIG opponents and sweep the PAC 12 opponents and go 3-1 against our ACC opponents and it will be hard for the PAC 12 or BIG champ with the same record as us to get the nod.

Thats what I been saying. ND just needs to worry about going 11-1.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#7 in the Coaches this week

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole worrying about what teams lose to who is unnecessary. All they can do is control what's ahead of them. The rest will work itself out. Our biggest threat to being bumped is not a second SEC team, but a BIG team. If Mich st wins out, including a win over OSU, then I think the committee will favor them over us being in a conference and clinging to some old notion that the BIG is still a major power. OSU and their pussy schedule, with a win over Mich. St will vault them too. All we can do is handle our business. We sweep the BIG opponents and sweep the PAC 12 opponents and go 3-1 against our ACC opponents and it will be hard for the PAC 12 or BIG champ with the same record as us to get the nod.

I gotta wonder how much these CCGs will come into play when all is said and done. I figure they will count at least toward any tie-breakers considered. And ... well ... shit ...

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta wonder how much these CCGs will come into play when all is said and done. I figure they will count at least toward any tie-breakers considered. And ... well ... shit ...

Note I didn't say impossible. I believe the committee is already factoring in the CCG's. If we are looking for "help" then Stanford over Oregon is HUGE. It takes both Oregon out and weakens the case for a BIG champ Mich. St over us. My overriding point is, our next 5 games are not gimmes. They need to stay hungry and focused on those.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's all we have but it's most certainly not ideal. It's about as stupid as you can get; let's have a beauty contest and I'm sure we're all going to pick the same girl for #1 because, well you all do have the same sense of beauty I do, don't ya?

Good win, bad loss, this is all bullshit to me, seriously. Record should be what matters, not how pretty you pranced down the fucking sidelines. We went from one subjective heap of shit to another and I'm trying to give it a fair shake, but the problem is, I don't see it as giving anyone a fair shake, it all seems to me to be just another BCS system with different window dressing. Oh sure, I'll watch it play out, if my team gets in, I'll watch, but make no mistake gentlemen, I do not like the system with a passion and I cares not we benefited from that system for decades. The system sucks and should be obliterated.

I could probably come up with a better playoff solution and I'm sure plenty others could to.

We are within 3 spots of the 'coveted' #4 or better position. Miss St. and/or Alabama will fall, we already know this, how far though? Oh back to that beauty contest again? FUCK. Everyone knows a southern darling looks better than an drunken Irish Mick!

So, let's just cut to the fucking chase... if our schedule isn't doing it for us, then maybe Swarbrick needs to really opine a bit more on whether our Independent position is really a sweet deal for us or not. I see at least 5 ACC games on the schedule for the next ten years or so. If FSU being as good as they've been the last year, can LOSE #1 spot due to some dude or dudette's subjective thinking, you think playing nearly half our schedule in the ACC is doing us some benefit going forward? Besides FSU and maybe BC, no one else in the ACC should ever sniff our schedule, certainly not with any frequency. So, because of this loose conference affiliation we have to take the hit both in lack of conference benefits, plus the lower-tiered opponents in the ACC? And what exactly are we gaining? I'm disliking this decision more and more. Good for the Basketball program I suppose, but for Football? Yeah, not liking this already.

Who do you think we can beat, or who would you like us to play if we win the regional beauty pageant?

I think MSU, Alabama and Oregon all give us a very tough test.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note I didn't say impossible. I believe the committee is already factoring in the CCG's. If we are looking for "help" then Stanford over Oregon is HUGE. It takes both Oregon out and weakens the case for a BIG champ Mich. St over us. My overriding point is, our next 5 games are not gimmes. They need to stay hungry and focused on those.

Just don't see Stanford giving Oregon any type of game this year ... their O stinks with that young QB. Oregon isn't gonna lose to Stanford ... not with that O they have and getting their OL back healthy.

I don't usually get into these types of 'discussions' until later on, but that USC loss and listening to what the talking heads are all saying really got me 'wondering' and I'm not liking the thoughts roaming in my head right now.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not help when u know the teams will lose. Thats why it will play out. I told you to look at other teams schedule. They have to play against each other and will lose games. All ND has to worry about is going 11-1

I just cannot imagine the playoffs would not have at least one SEC team. If a top SEC wins out they are in. If FSU, MSU, and Oregon win out and there is an SEC team; that's 4 teams with a strong possibility of finishing ahead of ND. Also we need to worry about how well our SOS holds up. Our last hope is ASU and they could very well fade down the stretch leaving us with only a quality loss to make our case. TCU has 2 quality opponents on their remaining schedule, It is possible that TCU could leapfrog ND.

There are just too many variables to say that all ND has to do is win and they are in.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah hard to imagine....But let's say this play out, would you take an SEC team over the other teams?

You have an undefeated FSU team which would be a lock. After that you have let's say Oregon, Michigan State, Notre Dame, & TCU/Kansas State all with 1 L.

Are you really going to leave out one of those teams for some SEC team with 2 losses?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I wouldn't leave them out for a two loss SEC team unless they are the one that won the league then I could see it but it would have to be one of the top teams (Alabama, Auburn or Mississippi State).

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah hard to imagine....But let's say this play out, would you take an SEC team over the other teams?

You have an undefeated FSU team which would be a lock. After that you have let's say Oregon, Michigan State, Notre Dame, & TCU/Kansas State all with 1 L.

Are you really going to leave out one of those teams for some SEC team with 2 losses?

I think the SEC champion would get a big bump in the polls. The committee and the poll voters would show a lot of love to the champion of the "best conference".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good luck eventually figuring out that all wins and losses are not equal. Who you lose to and how you lose to them matters.

If the SEC losses are all to other SEC teams, while you have SEC teams with non-conference wins over teams like WVU and K-State(who are currently #1 and tied for #2 in the Big12), then the SEC Champion is getting in.

And if it was the other way around and the Big12 won those games, then the situation would be reversed with the Big12 champ.

While you may want to pretend otherwise, all conferences are not equal. And as I pointed out in the thread I linked to you earlier, the "SEC Bias" is 100% myth.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford vs. Oregon is a huge game for us next week. Stanford has a chance if they play well like they did yesterday

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking good #6 and #7. Things will fall in place for ND. Just have to win and we are good.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff rankings better not screw us. If we are 6th and 7th we should not be any lower then #8 when it comes out. I think we should be ahead of MSU and Oregon in the playoff rankings but probably won't be.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff rankings better not screw us. If we are 6th and 7th we should not be any lower then #8 when it comes out. I think we should be ahead of MSU and Oregon in the playoff rankings but probably won't be.

I don't know why some of you guys get so worked up about things. The big moments of the season haven't even happened yet. The majority of teams front load their schedules with easy wins and the last few weeks have many loaded up games and things are going to change so much.

Nobody has a clue what is going to happen, but yet people act like the rankings every week are somehow important. They really aren't. LSU beating Ole Miss was a huge step towards not having more than 1 SEC team in the playoffs, but you'd never know it.

I mean just look at what Alabama has left to play. We have a bye week next week, but then we have LSU, then we have Miss St, FCS cupcake and then Auburn to finish out the season. If we manage to win all those, it will be a huge accomplishment. And if we do manage to win those, we are knocking Auburn out of the picture(2 losses), LSU out of it even among 2 loss teams(3 losses), and Miss St has such a weak OOC schedule it will likely knock them out of the picture as well.

Even if Alabama loses some of those games, Ole Miss and Miss St still have to play, Georgia will be playing Auburn, etc.

The conferences haven't even been decided yet. Stanford and Oregon will be playing this weekend. MSU and Ohio St still have to play(same week Alabama and LSU play), not to mention their CCG.

Remember in 2011 when Alabama got the rematch - the first game happened on like Nov5. 1st week in November is when that game happened. I didn't even remotely think Alabama had a chance at a NC any more. And yet, there was still so much football left to play even at that point that week after week the team that looked to be the next in line would lose.

So who cares if your team is in the playoff rankings now? If Alabama isn't in it, I won't even remotely care right now.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not help when u know the teams will lose. Thats why it will play out. I told you to look at other teams schedule. They have to play against each other and will lose games. All ND has to worry about is going 11-1

oooooooooh. you KNEW the teams would lose! well, now i understand! yeah, that's not really getting help from any other team then. :rollseyes:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll just say it this way then i'm done. had the irish beat fla state then their fate would have remained in their own hands. wouldn't have mattered what anyone else did. they didn't and now things have to shake down a certain way for them to make it. i always called this phemonenon "needing help".

the suggestion that all they have to do to get in is win out is simply not true no matter how you try to paint it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll just say it this way then i'm done. had the irish beat fla state then their fate would have remained in their own hands. wouldn't have mattered what anyone else did. they didn't and now things have to shake down a certain way for them to make it. i always called this phemonenon "needing help".

the suggestion that all they have to do to get in is win out is simply not true no matter how you try to paint it.

Yep, Alabama no longer controls it's destiny anymore either because we lost to Ole Miss.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need Stanford to win out. A Stanford/Arizona State Pac 12 title game is exactly what we need