• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread WCC Tournament

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday, March 2nd:
First Round:

#8 LMU vs #9 Portland - 9:00 | BYUtv | SPEC SN | NBCS CA | ROOT NW | ATT RM
#7 Santa Clara vs #10 Pepperdine - 11:30 | BYUtv | SPEC SN | NBCS CA | ROOT NW | ATT RM

Saturday, March 3:
Quarterfinals:

#3 BYU vs #6 San Diego - 4:00 | BYUtv | SPEC SN | NBCS CA | ROOT NW | ATT RM
#4 San Francisco vs #5 Pacific - 6:30 | BYUtv | SPEC SN | NBCS CA | ROOT NW | ATT RM
#1 Gonzaga vs #8 LMU/#9 Portland - 10:00 | ESPN2
#2 St Mary’s vs #7Santa Clara/#10 Pepperdine - 12:30 | ESPN2

Monday, March 5th:
Semifinals:

#1 Gonzaga/#8 LMU/#9 Portland vs #4 San Francisco/#5 Pacific - 9:00 | ESPN
#2 St Mary’s/#7Santa Clara/#10 Pepperdine vs #3 BYU vs #6 San Diego - 11:30 | ESPN2

Tuesday, March 6th:
Championship - 9:00 | ESPN

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/18MenBracket.pdf

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zags vs. BYU with Zags winning it. .

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least 2 from the WCC are shoe-ins -- Gonzaga (27-4) and St Mary's (27-4). If BYU (22-9) (or anyone else) wins the WCC tournament it'll be 3. Bubble teams are pulling for the top-2.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Newfound respect for the Zags. I still wish they move to a slightly more competitive conference tho.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Newfound respect for the Zags. I still wish they move to a slightly more competitive conference tho.

That's really not their fault though. They are in the best conference they can be in, based on the fact they don't have football. There are rumblings the Mtn. West is looking into adding them, which would be a good get. If I were Gonzaga though, I wouldn't mess with a good thing. They don't need to move conferences.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really not their fault though. They are in the best conference they can be in, based on the fact they don't have football. There are rumblings the Mtn. West is looking into adding them, which would be a good get. If I were Gonzaga though, I wouldn't mess with a good thing. They don't need to move conferences.

Right on cue @ericd7633 . Check this out:

Gonzaga among programs in talks to join Mountain West Conference

The Mountain West Conference could get a big addition, possibly next season.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he has spoken with six university presidents or athletic directors since August about joining the conference.

The only school Thompson identified was Gonzaga, one of the nation's top mid-major programs. Thompson said Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth reached out to him last fall and that he has spoken with men's basketball coach Mark Few about the possibility of the Zags leaving the West Coast Conference for the MWC.

The talks were first reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"Exploratory. I think that's the best description," Thompson said Wednesday night. "If there's something that helps us or makes us grow stronger, why wouldn't we look into it a little bit? We haven't gotten real detailed or in depth in any conversations. We're just trying to understand what are you looking for as a university, and they're asking what are your future goals and ambitions as a conference."

In a statement released Thursday, a WCC spokesperson said: "We are aware of the exploratory conversations the Mountain West Conference has had with Gonzaga. In today's climate, the topic of conference membership and potential realignment is on the agenda of almost every Division I conference, including the West Coast Conference."

Gonzaga has dominated the WCC, winning 17 regular-season championships and 14 tournament titles since Few became coach in 1999. The Zags reached the NCAA title game a year ago, losing to North Carolina.

A move to a larger conference would boost the competition Gonzaga faces during the conference season and help with seeding in the NCAA tournament. No. 11 Wichita State made a similar move last year, leaving the Missouri Valley Conference for the American Athletic Conference.

Adding the Zags would be a huge boost to the Mountain West as well.

Once one of the nation's top basketball conferences, the Mountain West has weakened through realignments and traditional powers such as UNLV, New Mexico and San Diego State falling off recently.

The Mountain West, at one point, was the highest-rated conference in the nation and got five teams through to the NCAA tournament. The conference was a one-bid league each of the past two seasons and could be again this year unless Boise State finds a way to get in.

"We've fallen a little short the past couple years with just one bid, but historically, over 19 years, we've been a multi-bid league," Thompson said. "We play Gonzaga in sports other than basketball, but it's Western-based, it's in a part of the country geographically that we look into. And this is a really easy one to explore because we only have 11 basketball schools."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

MWC commish: Gonzaga in talks to join league

Mountain West confirms it has talked expansion with ... Gonzaga

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is true, I don't like it tho. It's a backwards move.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is true, I don't like it tho. It's a backwards move.

WCC is pretty solid at the top now with BYU, St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Assuming that they'll make a lot more money as a member of the MWC, though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reason there's always a day off in this tourney?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reason there's always a day off in this tourney?

There didn't use to be. Only since BYU joined, because they don't play on Sunday's.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense lol. Last year was the first time i noticed it

It stinks because it was nice having late Sunday night college hoops on. Now there really is nothing to replace it.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far no real surprises. Top 4 seeds advanced. Zaga was the only team that seems like they wanted to win their game though lol.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU knocks out St Mary’s

Gonzaga vs BYU for conference title at 9 ET

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Mary's just punched their ticket to the NIT

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Mary's just punched their ticket to the NIT

St. Mary's gets in. Ridiculous to think they don't. But BYU gets in and possibly knocks out that 9th ACC or Big 12 team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Mary's gets in. Ridiculous to think they don't. But BYU gets in and possibly knocks out that 9th ACC or Big 12 team.

It is ridiculous to think they're a lock lmao. They have 1 quality win

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is ridiculous to think they're a lock lmao. They have 1 quality win

Every bracket I've seen has them in the tournament as either a 9 or 10 or 11 seed. Lunardi has them as a 9 seed, Jerry Palm from CBS Sports has them as a 10 seed, Sporting News has them playing the play-in game for the 11th seed, Washington Post has them as a 9 seed. It's not ridiculous to think they're a lock because practically every bracket I'm seeing has them in. I have yet to see a bracket that doesn't have them as at least one of the last 4 in after last night's game.

No matter what, they have a win against whoever wins the tournament championship because they've beaten both Gonzaga and BYU. So 2 quality wins. Also, 2 of their 5 losses came against those same teams (Zaga and BYU). So I don't see how it's hard to believe they would be in. They have a better resume than teams like Louisville and Syracuse who are also shown on some brackets as the last four in or first four out.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every bracket I've seen has them in the tournament as either a 9 or 10 or 11 seed. Lunardi has them as a 9 seed, Jerry Palm from CBS Sports has them as a 10 seed, Sporting News has them playing the play-in game for the 11th seed, Washington Post has them as a 9 seed. It's not ridiculous to think they're a lock because practically every bracket I'm seeing has them in. I have yet to see a bracket that doesn't have them as at least one of the last 4 in after last night's game.

No matter what, they have a win against whoever wins the tournament championship because they've beaten both Gonzaga and BYU. So 2 quality wins. Also, 2 of their 5 losses came against those same teams (Zaga and BYU). So I don't see how it's hard to believe they would be in. They have a better resume than teams like Louisville and Syracuse who are also shown on some brackets as the last four in or first four out.

BYU is #67 on both kenpom and RPI. They aren't going to end up as being a quality win, regardless of what happens in the WCC title game. New Mexico State is St. Mary's 2nd quality win.