• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way Too Early 2017 World Series Predictions Thread

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jodi Lemire - wood

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say Red Sox over Dodgers.

Kershaw finally gets to the big stage, maybe actually throws well in the post season for once.

And frankly I'm just playing the odds because rarely do teams go to b2b WS.

The royals did and frankly it was a bit flukey (both runs had just absurd amounts of luck come into play).

The Rangers did it. Making some huge deals to make it happen.

Before that, was it the early 2000s yankees?

I'm just not betting on that.

Also all of those are AL teams anyway. Cubs are the best team, but I'm gonna do a little card counting right now.

CLE i'm not betting on cause you just don't bounce back from an epic choke like that so easily.
Phillies in '08/'09 is another one.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs will win 110 games and the World Series in a sweep over whoever shows up.

That team is a juggernaut.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs will win 110 games and the World Series in a sweep over whoever shows up.

They couldn't sweep (and frankly should've lost in 5 and 7) to a team without 2 of its top 3 SPs and had to throw two #5 starters on short rest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure about the 110 games. I suspect they might be worse in the regular season but maybe better in the post season if they are healthy.

As long as the Cubs have 3 of the 5 best starting pitchers in the NL then nobody is going to touch them. If Hendricks isnt just a flash in the pan then the Cubs are a prohibitive favorite.

I'm really high on the Cardinals this year but I think they are in the 86-96 win territory while the Cubs are probably in the 95-105 territory and I think the Cubs roster will likely be more set up for the playoffs.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about the 110 games. I suspect they might be worse in the regular season but maybe better in the post season if they are healthy.

As long as the Cubs have 3 of the 5 best starting pitchers in the NL then nobody is going to touch them. If Hendricks isnt just a flash in the pan then the Cubs are a prohibitive favorite.

I'm really high on the Cardinals this year but I think they are in the 86-96 win territory while the Cubs are probably in the 95-105 territory and I think the Cubs roster will likely be more set up for the playoffs.

A lot will depend on Wacha and Wainwright's health and if Weaver can build on a very promising debut.

Plus Reyes needs to hold up for a whole sesaon and an increase in innings.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot will depend on Wacha and Wainwright's health and if Weaver can build on a very promising debut.

Plus Reyes needs to hold up for a whole sesaon and an increase in innings.
I think Oh being there all season could end up being huge.

Reyes is a big wild card. Sporting News was picking him as their guess for NL ROY so...no pressure. Most Cardinals fans have big expectations out of him, too, but Wacha and Lynn have both been really good at times in the past and could return to form.

Cardinals are going to be losing a bit of power from last year's lineup, too, but they should be a better overall unit in terms of defense, speed and hitting. Moving Carpenter down the lineup and fitting in Fowler seems risky but should have a huge payoff.

Fowler switching from the Cubs to the Cardinals shouldn't be underestimated. Cubs went 11-17 the month Fowler went on the DL last year but thats not really indicative of what the Cubs will look like next year. Fowler also has the potential of being an overrated move like Heyward last year but I'm optimistic.

The Cardinals home record last year was a major fluke and if that returns to something a little more normal than the Cards should be contending. I think they have at least a 50/50 shot of being on of the 3 best teams in the NL but anything can happen in baseball.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding more defense and OBP to the OF will help.

The corner OFs will be interesting. Some questions there.

the infield is fairly deep on talent though.

It's a fascinating team to say the least.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only chance for the Mets is a healthy pitching staff. They were decimated by injuries last year and managed to get to the wild card game so they can do damage if healthy.

A healthy Mets staff is the biggest threat to the Cubs in my opinion. With that said, it's the Cubs pennant to lose.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say any contender. with few exceptions, is a TJ surgery or similar issue away from going from 85 wins to 80 wins. At least 8 teams in the NL have a chance to contend down the stretch. (I didn't say they were good teams, just contenders.)

Baseball has become much more interesting in recent years and I was NOT one of the early advocates of the 2nd wild card. I think it's really mattered now. It's helped spread out the pitching for one thing. Not many teams are loaded on the mound.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's helped spread out the pitching for one thing. Not many teams are loaded on the mound.
If all of the top 5 pitchers in the NL are on the Cubs and Giants then thats not really spreading the pitching out.

I do think the 2nd wild card is good for baseball, though, if only to make the playoff race more interesting.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all of the top 5 pitchers in the NL are on the Cubs and Giants then thats not really spreading the pitching out.

I do think the 2nd wild card is good for baseball, though, if only to make the playoff race more interesting.
Prediction: The top 3 NL pitchers will play for neither of those teams.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say Red Sox over Dodgers.

Kershaw finally gets to the big stage, maybe actually throws well in the post season for once.

And frankly I'm just playing the odds because rarely do teams go to b2b WS.

The royals did and frankly it was a bit flukey (both runs had just absurd amounts of luck come into play).

The Rangers did it. Making some huge deals to make it happen.

Before that, was it the early 2000s yankees?

I'm just not betting on that.

Also all of those are AL teams anyway. Cubs are the best team, but I'm gonna do a little card counting right now.

CLE i'm not betting on cause you just don't bounce back from an epic choke like that so easily.
epic choke job?

they were fortunate enough to even MAKE the world series while not having Carrasco/Salazar/Brantley

you know what an epic choke job is?

having the best offense in baseball and getting your ass swept in the first round by a team that is missing their #2 and #3 starters and their best overall position player (until Lindor established himself as the best ss in baseball).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repeat.

Cubs are absolutely loaded--- and the Indians have Francona, and the best bullpen in baseball. That matters in the post season.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
epic choke job?

they were fortunate enough to even MAKE the world series while not having Carrasco/Salazar/Brantley

you know what an epic choke job is?

having the best offense in baseball and getting your ass swept in the first round by a team that is missing their #2 and #3 starters and their best overall position player (until Lindor established himself as the best ss in baseball).

Being a an authority on what an epic choke job is (see the 2004 ALCS), I can say with all confidence that the Indians choke in the WS last year was epic indeed.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Across the league, the pitching isn't that deep. The point I was making, which I thought seemed obvious, is that a pitching staff can't afford to lose a quality starter and expect to be in the top contenders.

Most teams have marginally effective bullpens and everyone is looking for an upgrade. There are not that many 200-inning arms in the NL, though there may be more in the AL.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a an authority on what an epic choke job is (see the 2004 ALCS), I can say with all confidence that the Indians choke in the WS last year was epic indeed.

It's the standard observation. When our guys come from behind, it's a classic rally. When our guy loses to said classic rally, it's an epic choke. It's just hard to win 3 games in a row in the World Series.