• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Rizzo's Slide Illegal?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second baseman is in a MUCH better position to protect himself.

1) The bag itself can be used as protection since it is elevated and can dampen the hit if the defender places his foot behind the bag. Home plate offers no such protection.

2) The second baseman/shortstop has more visibility on a play at second than a catcher. When the throw comes from second, the defender is facing 1st which is where the runner is coming from. The entire play happens in front of him. The catcher only sees the entire play in the event of a bang-bang play from left field (or 3rd base/SS). Every other play requires the catcher to put himself in a dangerous potion. This play, specifically, had Diaz focus on 1st base, which was more than 90 degrees away from Rizzo. He could not protect himself from what he couldn’t see.

The the retard should learn how to clear out towards the first base line and not leave himself open and still within reach of the plate. Don't punish baserunners for a catcher's own retardedness, or in Posey's case, glass leg bones.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The the retard should learn how to clear out towards the first base line and not leave himself open and still within reach of the plate. Don't punish baserunners for a catcher's own retardedness, or in Posey's case, glass leg bones.

even if he was more towards the first base side one could argue he would have been been within arms length, legs length of the plate.. So in reality doesn't really matter. I get the Rizzo was "able" to touch home plate but the replays really don't make it look like he truly was trying to actually touch the plate.... So I see why people would call it dirty

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if he was more towards the first base side one could argue he would have been been within arms length, legs length of the plate.. So in reality doesn't really matter. I get the Rizzo was "able" to touch home plate but the replays really don't make it look like he truly was trying to actually touch the plate.... So I see why people would call it dirty

If he clears down the first base line, he's on the other side of the plate and would take an incredibly late slide to get him, and then people would have a legit beef.

This whole thing is a bunch of soft pussification drivel.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he clears down the first base line, he's on the other side of the plate and would take an incredibly late slide to get him, and then people would have a legit beef.

This whole thing is a bunch of soft pussification drivel.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I see both sides here

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirty f*ing hit, could have seriously taken his knees out.

How about a fine and a suspension also?
He tucked his legs softly back and came in low. It wasn’t dirty at all, you hyperbolic dunce.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's put this in perspective.
1. It's not about Ryan Braun
2. Rizzo made a slide that hung a catcher out to dry.
3. That's the intent of the rule as to not injure players who aren't in a position to protect themselves.
4. Rizzo was aware of that when he slid. It wasn't a bang-bang play. He went out of his way to upend the catcher who had no play on him.
5. Rizzo is a fucking asshole.
6. I hope the Brewers plug his earhole.
7. Buster Posey isn't an asshole.
Rizzo has won the Clemente award. Hardly an asshole.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, well, Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize, that didn't stop him from being one.
The Clemente award actually means something. The novel peace prize is like a Grammy