• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WAR

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think there was a baseball player more overrated than Jack Morris, but Vizquel might dethrone him.

Jeter. He was really good, but he's rated as the second coming of Honus Wagner and Ernie Banks

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter. He was really good, but he's rated as the second coming of Honus Wagner and Ernie Banks

I think Jeter's the most overrated defensive player of all-time (he was bad) and he is pretty overrated by Yanks fans, but I still see him as a top 10 (maybe top 5) SS. His offense and baserunning more than make up for the shit defense IMO. I don't think he's an inner-circle HOFer, but I think he's an easy HOFer.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jeter's the most overrated defensive player of all-time (he was bad) and he is pretty overrated by Yanks fans, but I still see him as a top 10 (maybe top 5) SS. His offense and baserunning more than make up for the shit defense IMO. I don't think he's an inner-circle HOFer, but I think he's an easy HOFer.

It's interesting what Google says when you type in things like 'best shortstops of all time' in the search bar.

Guess who is listed first?

best shortstop of all time - Google Search

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has more games at 1B than SS, though most of his career value came as a SS.

I know about Banks, I was just shaking my head at the top Google spot. He was really great but not the all time best.

I'm a little biased about Banks though, my dad once hitchhiked to a Cubs game and got taken to the game by Banks and the other African American player on the team. Banks' rookie year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know about Banks, I was just shaking my head at the top Google spot. He was really great but not the all time best.

I'm a little biased about Banks though, my dad once hitchhiked to a Cubs game and got taken to the game by Banks and the other African American player on the team. Banks' rookie year.

Not sure how those "rankings" are done though. I'm going to guess that relevance and search results probably play some factor and not just performance. I mean Puckett's 7th in those Google results among CF. No way in hell is Puckett a top 10 CF (probably not even top 20). Barry Bonds is 4th among LF behind Ted, Rickey and Yaz. While you could argue that Ted was a better hitter (though Bonds was a better all around player with a longer career), there's no argument whatsoever for the other two over Bonds.

Yadier ranks ahead of Posey among catchers... lol. I don't think Varitek is the 26th best catcher of all-time either.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably Gene Baker his keystone mate

Gene Baker Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gene Baker is the guy you're thinking of. It's a good story, Gene deserves the credit when you tell it :wink:

Edit: why do I never read the entire thread first? Sorry for wasting your time here man.