• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: W2: Now the Drive begins. @ San Franscisco 4:05/1:05 Fox/CTV

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we're getting from Geno is pretty much what most of us, if not all of us expected... Journeyman type of productivity... Sometimes he will play well enough but then he will play poorly and remind us why he's just a journeyman QB in this league... I don't think this is shocking to any of us...

What I'm most disappointed about are two things:
  1. Defense: What is up with our rush defense? We seem to just be getting gashed over and over... P. Ford looks out of place in this defense... He's not plugging holes like he should be doing against the run... In fact, Al Woods is the only guy up front plugging holes, which allows our LB's to make more tackles up in the box... But when Jefferson, Ford, etc aren't plugging the holes or staying engaged, while controlling the OL, it's allowing their OL to get to our 2nd tier easier forcing our LB's to have to make tackles 4-6 yards downfield... We're ranked 26th in the league right now with rush defense. Our pass defense isn't any better... Right now, i would've thought our defense would be playing a bit better than they are... We dodged a bullet against the Broncos but seems like the Bronco's were able to move the ball against us pretty easily at times... 49ers controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball... They out physical'd us in all facets.
  2. Running Game: Where is our commitment to this? (See below): We're even behind the 4 teams that have only played 1 game... We're 2nd to last in the league in attempts... The last place team is Tennessee which has only played 1 game so far... Safe to say that they will leap frog us tonight.. With us investing into our RB's like we have, it's said that we're not utilizing them like we thought we would... View attachment 308815
Good post and I agree both of those issues need to get fixed. The rush defense certainly concerns me with this 3-4 defense. Woods should get more work as he's the only one that's been effective, course he's really big so wearing down would be a concern. Pete will get the run game in gear IMO, likely see some results next week against the Falcons.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big issue is the team is averaging 48 plays per game. Even if you split that up 50/50 that's 24 rushes 24 passes but in the 49ers game they were playing from Behind from the get go. Also I do believe they count those WR Screens as an extension to their running game. ( I hate our WR Screens )

Broncos had 64 plays and the 49ers had 70 to the Hawks 49 and 47 plays respectfully. They are 8-18 on 3rd downs and averaging 234 TOTAL YARDS PER GAME! Also the Offense is averaging 8.5 Points per game as special teams scored 7 of their total 24 points. The win over the broncos is moot as they struggled mightily against the Bears in Denver, they are not that good right now ( Broncos ).

With Geno we know we wont do much on offense, he never has been anything other than a good benchwarmer. I would take Clipboard Jesus over Geno. Lets look at some of the worst QB in the NFL right now.

Trey Lance and Dak Prescott, both injured but I would say both are better than Geno and Dak by a big margin.
Matt Ryan and Justin Fields are next, Yep i would take either one over Geno in a heart beat.
Joe Burrow and Mitch Trubisky ... yep i would take both easily over Geno... Next
Baker Mayfield and Marcus Mariota, Yep both those guys are better than Geno.
Hurts and Stafford ... Yes both would be better than Geno.
Mills and Winston both would be upgrades think about the Davis Mills is better than Geno.

I was going off rating but wait where is Geno ranked... 8th, he is not the 8th best QB as his starts are an illusion, he loves the dump off on 3rd and 10 for 2 yards because in his career he is like 50/50 throwing more than 10 yards for getting a INT. Think about how broken this shit is when Geno is ranked 8th and Tom Brady is ranked 21st.

Geno is Not average, not even close. He is capable of playing average or slightly above average but those games are rare and are his ceiling games.

The Seahawks Defense is bad guys, don't gloss over it and say well if the offense didn't do this or that blah blah. They can't tackle they can't cover the middle of the field. It's like they drop the Linebackers 10 yards deep every play because thats where the Linebackers are making tackles lol The DB's are so worried about getting beat deep they are allowing uncontested balls over the middle under the umbrella. It's bad. this Defense AND Offense are broken and we don't have the Coaches in place to fix it. Pete can only do so much. I would love to have Bevell and Quinn back as the OC and DC. I would rather see a 3rd and long draw every now and again than the shit we are seeing now.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno is Not average, not even close. He is capable of playing average or slightly above average but those games are rare and are his ceiling games.
That's right, nobody is saying different and if he's not replaced this season he certainly will next season. Seahawks are going to take their lumps this season in any case.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big issue is the team is averaging 48 plays per game. Even if you split that up 50/50 that's 24 rushes 24 passes but in the 49ers game they were playing from Behind from the get go. Also I do believe they count those WR Screens as an extension to their running game. ( I hate our WR Screens )

Broncos had 64 plays and the 49ers had 70 to the Hawks 49 and 47 plays respectfully. They are 8-18 on 3rd downs and averaging 234 TOTAL YARDS PER GAME! Also the Offense is averaging 8.5 Points per game as special teams scored 7 of their total 24 points. The win over the broncos is moot as they struggled mightily against the Bears in Denver, they are not that good right now ( Broncos ).

With Geno we know we wont do much on offense, he never has been anything other than a good benchwarmer. I would take Clipboard Jesus over Geno. Lets look at some of the worst QB in the NFL right now.

Trey Lance and Dak Prescott, both injured but I would say both are better than Geno and Dak by a big margin.
Matt Ryan and Justin Fields are next, Yep i would take either one over Geno in a heart beat.
Joe Burrow and Mitch Trubisky ... yep i would take both easily over Geno... Next
Baker Mayfield and Marcus Mariota, Yep both those guys are better than Geno.
Hurts and Stafford ... Yes both would be better than Geno.
Mills and Winston both would be upgrades think about the Davis Mills is better than Geno.

I was going off rating but wait where is Geno ranked... 8th, he is not the 8th best QB as his starts are an illusion, he loves the dump off on 3rd and 10 for 2 yards because in his career he is like 50/50 throwing more than 10 yards for getting a INT. Think about how broken this shit is when Geno is ranked 8th and Tom Brady is ranked 21st.

It's perfectly fine to hold these views. I don't really disagree per se. I guess my question would be this. What do you think the best case outcome would be with Geno as the QB? What would it be with Ryan or Trubisky or Mariota or Winston or Mills or Mayfield or Goff or Wentz? Maybe a win or 2 more? Maybe?

Geno Smith is a perfectly serviceable back up QB. He is a bad starting QB. We knew this before last season started and we saw him play last year and it confirmed what we all knew.

Geno's biggest problem is that he doesn't overcome adversity. If things are going well he can ride the wave and get the W. If there is adversity, he shrinks.

The Seahawks Defense is bad guys, don't gloss over it and say well if the offense didn't do this or that blah blah. They can't tackle they can't cover the middle of the field. It's like they drop the Linebackers 10 yards deep every play because thats where the Linebackers are making tackles lol The DB's are so worried about getting beat deep they are allowing uncontested balls over the middle under the umbrella. It's bad. this Defense AND Offense are broken and we don't have the Coaches in place to fix it. Pete can only do so much. I would love to have Bevell and Quinn back as the OC and DC. I would rather see a 3rd and long draw every now and again than the shit we are seeing now.

Yup. The defense is not good. Hasn't been good in several years.

Not sure why you are saying "Pete can only do so much" though. How many different coordinators are we going to have before we accept that Pete may be washed himself?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post and I agree both of those issues need to get fixed. The rush defense certainly concerns me with this 3-4 defense. Woods should get more work as he's the only one that's been effective, course he's really big so wearing down would be a concern. Pete will get the run game in gear IMO, likely see some results next week against the Falcons.

Our run defense is super concerning. Even Brooks is missing tackles left and right. Seattle was missing tackles non-stop in preseason... not sure what the fuck is going on, Carroll was always all about tackling and aggressive stops... we're IMO one of the worst tackling teams in the league at the moment....

Maybe we should've paid Bobby Wagner...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our run defense is super concerning. Even Brooks is missing tackles left and right. Seattle was missing tackles non-stop in preseason... not sure what the fuck is going on, Carroll was always all about tackling and aggressive stops... we're IMO one of the worst tackling teams in the league at the moment....

Maybe we should've paid Bobby Wagner...
Missed tackles is the stat dujour
Seemed on almost every play we had a guy there to make the play but 99% of the time they missed

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Pete on Brock and Salk and he's still living in La-La Land.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you are saying "Pete can only do so much" though. How many different coordinators are we going to have before we accept that Pete may be washed himself?

Pete is not going to coach up these kids like he might have in 2010 he needs a good Defensive coach to take over that can use the personal in the best way possible. I really don't feel a 3-4 fits our guys in the trenches and has Pete ever ran a 3-4 ever? Hybrids of it yes and even now we seem to be in 4-3 looks often but most of the time it's some funky bear front formations Hybrid of a 3-4 that starts players all ready "out" of position. Some of those linebacker sets they use is like WTF! they had one were brooks was shaded more to the left of center and Barton was even farther left and no other guy on the other side but a DE. I wonder what you are going to do? well we are going to run right at it. DE flips to drop and the Runningback chases lol Not really that simple but i think you might understand where im getting at.

Pete is a good coach but i always feel like he is running a charity for our OC's and DC's. Hurtt might be fine but to build a defense? i have my doubts and we need someone that can Build one. Who knows maybe it's Pete saying "No we don't need to move to the year 2022 we can still play it like the 1970's and 80's on Defense" so he avoids the guys that say "lets do it newer" if you get what I mean. Maybe he doesn't want innovation just execution because he is just to old and set in his ways.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What we're getting from Geno is pretty much what most of us, if not all of us expected... Journeyman type of productivity... Sometimes he will play well enough but then he will play poorly and remind us why he's just a journeyman QB in this league... I don't think this is shocking to any of us...

What I'm most disappointed about are two things:
  1. Defense: What is up with our rush defense? We seem to just be getting gashed over and over... P. Ford looks out of place in this defense... He's not plugging holes like he should be doing against the run... In fact, Al Woods is the only guy up front plugging holes, which allows our LB's to make more tackles up in the box... But when Jefferson, Ford, etc aren't plugging the holes or staying engaged, while controlling the OL, it's allowing their OL to get to our 2nd tier easier forcing our LB's to have to make tackles 4-6 yards downfield... We're ranked 26th in the league right now with rush defense. Our pass defense isn't any better... Right now, i would've thought our defense would be playing a bit better than they are... We dodged a bullet against the Broncos but seems like the Bronco's were able to move the ball against us pretty easily at times... 49ers controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball... They out physical'd us in all facets.
  2. Running Game: Where is our commitment to this? (See below): We're even behind the 4 teams that have only played 1 game... We're 2nd to last in the league in attempts... The last place team is Tennessee which has only played 1 game so far... Safe to say that they will leap frog us tonight.. With us investing into our RB's like we have, it's said that we're not utilizing them like we thought we would...

Considering Pete wants to run the ball and play great defense it's actually a bigger issue than Geno. Geno is kinda playing the way Pete wants in managing the game and having that high completion percentage.

The problem is you need to defense to play well to keep the game close so you can stick with the running game and you have Geno complete those nice easy short passes and keep the chains moving.

It's pretty clear Geno isn't going to win many games with his arm so without that running game and defense to make the running game viable you can expect more results like Sunday.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete is not going to coach up these kids like he might have in 2010 he needs a good Defensive coach to take over that can use the personal in the best way possible. I really don't feel a 3-4 fits our guys in the trenches and has Pete ever ran a 3-4 ever? Hybrids of it yes and even now we seem to be in 4-3 looks often but most of the time it's some funky bear front formations Hybrid of a 3-4 that starts players all ready "out" of position. Some of those linebacker sets they use is like WTF! they had one were brooks was shaded more to the left of center and Barton was even farther left and no other guy on the other side but a DE. I wonder what you are going to do? well we are going to run right at it. DE flips to drop and the Runningback chases lol Not really that simple but i think you might understand where im getting at.

Pete is a good coach but i always feel like he is running a charity for our OC's and DC's. Hurtt might be fine but to build a defense? i have my doubts and we need someone that can Build one. Who knows maybe it's Pete saying "No we don't need to move to the year 2022 we can still play it like the 1970's and 80's on Defense" so he avoids the guys that say "lets do it newer" if you get what I mean. Maybe he doesn't want innovation just execution because he is just to old and set in his ways.

How many times are we going to blame the defensive coordinator for the defense doing the same thing? Either the scheme is broken or the talent is lacking. Either way that is on Pete and John.

The same is true on offense. We keep changing OCs and we STILL can't run an effective screen. Why? And our OL protection still sucks.

We have seen a steady decline in this team on both sides of the ball for the past 6 years. And yet we still have fans, and ownership, thinking that Pete isn't the problem. He and Pete are the only 2 to be through it all.

Now I do expect the defense to get better. And the offense literally cannot be this bad for the rest of the season. But even the most optimistic outcome for both sides of the ball is pretty bleak.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering Pete wants to run the ball and play great defense it's actually a bigger issue than Geno. Geno is kinda playing the way Pete wants in managing the game and having that high completion percentage.

The problem is you need to defense to play well to keep the game close so you can stick with the running game and you have Geno complete those nice easy short passes and keep the chains moving.

It's pretty clear Geno isn't going to win many games with his arm so without that running game and defense to make the running game viable you can expect more results like Sunday.

The real problem is that Seattle hasn't even attempted to establish the run. It's been completely head scratching. Even during the "let Russ cook" games in 2020, the Hawks only put the ball in Russ' hands 69.6% of the time (Pass attempts + sacks + runs) while through the first 2 games the same is at 73.7% for Geno. Penny, Walker and Homer each got 6 touches - that's pathetic.

It's like they're so hyper focused on proving they made the right choice with Geno that they're willing to call the game in ways they weren't even willing to let Russ do when he was playing his best.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem is that Seattle hasn't even attempted to establish the run. It's been completely head scratching. Even during the "let Russ cook" games in 2020, the Hawks only put the ball in Russ' hands 69.6% of the time (Pass attempts + sacks + runs) while through the first 2 games the same is at 73.7% for Geno. Penny, Walker and Homer each got 6 touches - that's pathetic.

It's like they're so hyper focused on proving they made the right choice with Geno that they're willing to call the game in ways they weren't even willing to let Russ do when he was playing his best.

Well Pete is saying they need to give the ball to Geno MORE.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are just to strong in the trenches. When that happens everything looks bad. Also when falling behind you end up throwing more. Way to much is being made of a ugly beat down, 49ers are a playoff team, made the NFC championship. Most think the Seahawks are a 6 win team ( some even think that’s to high) , they are trying to season the young players who are going to have to take their lumps learning and the team has hole. Still need upgrades on the roster, which will have to wait a season.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Pete is saying they need to give the ball to Geno MORE.

It just baffles me. He appears to have more trust in Geno than he ever did in Russell - and I just can't imagine why that is.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are just to strong in the trenches. When that happens everything looks bad. Also when falling behind you end up throwing more. Way to much is being made of a ugly beat down, 49ers are a playoff team, made the NFC championship. Most think the Seahawks are a 6 win team ( some even think that’s to high) , they are trying to season the young players who are going to have to take their lumps learning and the team has hole. Still need upgrades on the roster, which will have to wait a season.

Yes, its knee jerk after 2 games, but it really is all we have right now. But it isn't just the 9ers game.

36 - 13 That's the Broncos Geno to rush calls.
34 - 12 That's the 9ers Geno to rush calls.

the difference? Never trailed in one game, never led in the other.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just baffles me. He appears to have more trust in Geno than he ever did in Russell - and I just can't imagine why that is.

I really do hope it is all for show and realizes the truth. I do think it is possible that he is so focused on keeping Geno's confidence up, he doesn't care if he looks foolish with what he says. OTOH, it is also entirely possible that he's convinced himself of his own bullshit.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, its knee jerk after 2 games, but it really is all we have right now. But it isn't just the 9ers game.

36 - 13 That's the Broncos Geno to rush calls.
34 - 12 That's the 9ers Geno to rush calls.

the difference? Never trailed in one game, never led in the other.

The truth is that when the Hawks were really good under Pete they always played with a use the pass to create the run mindset. And when the offense was really click it was almost ALWAYS because Russ would open up early with a couple of big plays that would push those safeties back and get the linebackers on their backfoot and create huge openings for Beast.

But we are not doing that now. Maybe because Pete's hatred of turnovers is making them avoid those deep balls.

Brock asked him yesterday whether he would change his strategy given how the refs are giving a huge benefit to the receiver with their PI calls on deep passes. Pete kinda brushed the question aside, IMO, and started complaining about how we have been hurt by that.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock asked him yesterday whether he would change his strategy given how the refs are giving a huge benefit to the receiver with their PI calls on deep passes. Pete kinda brushed the question aside, IMO, and started complaining about how we have been hurt by that.
doesnt seem like we get to enjoy such benefits.