• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT's Thomas could be next Newton

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was on the ESPN CFB site - writted by Feldman. Pretty crazy but fun stuff. Not sure if everyone is an ESPN insider so here's the article.

A Cam Newton clone
By Bruce Feldman

thomas_display_image.jpg

Logan Thomas could have a huge year in his first season as Virginia Tech's starting quarterback.

A lot of the questions I received for this week's mailbag had to do with Jim Tressel and the Ohio State Buckeyes, but I wanted to start out with something different today before getting back into what became this week's big college football story.

From @Mattapherr: Like Pat White, Tim Tebow and Cam Newton in past seasons, who will be this year's breakout dual-threat QB?

One of the most intriguing new starting quarterbacks this season will be the Virginia Tech Hokies' supersized Logan Thomas, a strong-armed 6-foot-6, 245-pound sophomore. He played sparingly last season, completing 12 of 26 passes for 107 yards and running six times for 22 yards in seven games, although he did connect on a big throw in a tough spot against the Miami Hurricanes when Tyrod Taylor was forced out of the game. Responding that way on the road in a situation like that certainly bodes well for his 2011 potential.

This guy has a very powerful arm, fantastic size and runs well. The buzz around him is big already. My friend and Hokies beat writer Kyle Tucker tells me that Thomas has been clocked at around 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash and sports a 40-inch vertical jump. Thomas also has size 19 feet, apparently. Tucker used the word "freak" to describe Thomas, and that description sounds about right.

Thomas arrived at Tech as the country's No. 8-ranked "athlete" in the 2009 recruting class. The comparisons to Newton, Terrelle Pryor and Matt Jones will come, but it remains to be seen how accurate and consistent he can be in his first year as a starter. Tech assistant Mike O'Cain said Thomas was more ready to take over the offense than Taylor was in his first two seasons there.

The shift from Taylor to Thomas is just one of many moves this offseason as part of the Hokies' shake-up, and as Darryl Slater points out, Frank Beamer said "a big part" of the decision to have O'Cain call the plays is the "comfort level" between him and Thomas.

It also helps that the way the schedule opens, Thomas has some time to get settled in a bit. Remember his name.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a veteran O-Line and receiving corps, I look for this kid to have a big first year under center. If DW stays healthy and the D improving this year...should be another run at an ACC title..

I'm interested to see how he does getting most of the reps during the spring.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a veteran O-Line and receiving corps, I look for this kid to have a big first year under center. If DW stays healthy and the D improving this year...should be another run at an ACC title..

I'm interested to see how he does getting most of the reps during the spring.

I agree and also think that Josh Oglesby will have a very good season. Dude is a tank!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I love the fact that LT is getting some love from ESPN, but honestly i hope that the Cam comparisons dont continue throughout the season. Love him or hate him Cam was special @ AUB (much like MV1 was here) and asking LT to live up to that puts a lot of weight on his shoulders.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fact that LT is getting some love from ESPN, but honestly i hope that the Cam comparisons dont continue throughout the season. Love him or hate him Cam was special @ AUB (much like MV1 was here) and asking LT to live up to that puts a lot of weight on his shoulders.

I agree 100 percent. At this point in his career, it is ludicrous to put those kind of expectations on a kid.