• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. William & Mary, Lane Stadium, 4PM ESPNNEWS

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-watching some of this, I see that even with bigger RB we still had trouble on 3rd-and-nothing... I call your attention to the six plays inside the 5 that ended with the lucky-as-fuck Bucky TD.

That looked way too familiar for my tastes.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-watching some of this, I see that even with bigger RB we still had trouble on 3rd-and-nothing... I call your attention to the six plays inside the 5 that ended with the lucky-as-fuck Bucky TD.

A lot has been made of that, but I'm not going to get too worried yet. First game and all that. There were some impressive blocks at other points in the game. If the coaches can settle on the right guys for the right situations and get them consistent, we should be ok. I expect a lot better than last year.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

inside the 5 makes it sound better than it was...it took 6 plays when we started at the 2

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It makes no sense to me how stacking the box with 3 TE's at the goal line helps the situation. All that does is add to the concentration of bodies....so the ball carrier has to dodge even more blockers and would be tacklers. Seems to me the odds of pounding the rock across the goal line increase by spreading the field. I'd like Marshawn's chances of taking on an unblocked LB if all the other tacklers are cleared out.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree and I think we'll see more spread out formations on the goal line from this point on .. and less JC. With several really good TEs ... spread them out a bit and there are mismatches all over the field

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 TEs at the goal line can work very well. I don't think that's going anywhere unless we find that our TEs just aren't able to execute it.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 TEs at the goal line can work very well. I don't think that's going anywhere unless we find that our TEs just aren't able to execute it.

Jumbo sets are great... our complete lack of interior push has nothing to do with how many TEs we've stacked on the (ends of the) line.

We haven't had a solid I-form, blocking FB since John Kinzer had to quit football. We NEED that guy. TD Lee Suggs doesn't score anywhere close to 27 TDs in 2000 if he doesn't have Jarrett Ferguson blowing up the hole at the goalline.

Under the last few OC's, we've moved to more single-back, pistol, spready sets and a blocking FB has no role in those playbooks. Without that guy, we've looked lost in our 3rd/4th-and-nothing situations and I've seen use try all sorts of spread formations the last few seasons. The problem with spread formations in short yardage is that the C/OG gap can be easily overwhelmed with a middle blitz, and often are (especially if we're running something ridiculous that needs time to set up like a PA pass from the 1-foot line).

Zone blocking, draw-play blocking is great when you're between the 20's. Inside of there or in short-yardage, give me an FB who can blow open a mine shaft and some TEs with some size who can sneak out to the flat or the flag if we don't score on 1st/2nd-and-nothing.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. There are plenty of offenses that can get in the endzone just fine without a blocking fullback. It's an antiquated position. Our issue is more with bad O-linemen more so than it is not having a fullback.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. There are plenty of offenses that can get in the endzone just fine without a blocking fullback. It's an antiquated position. Our issue is more with bad O-linemen more so than it is not having a fullback.

2 of the goal line runs were stopped because Redman tried to cut the DE and failed twice.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferguson was great... sweet memories there.