• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. William & Mary, Lane Stadium, 4PM ESPNNEWS

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game yesterday. Sounds like coaches, players, and fans alike were pleased with effort and overall offensive production. Defensive played lights out most of the day.

I agree with most of you concerning the RB situation. McKenzie and Williams should get the meat of the carries next week. If that isn't the case, I will be seriously questioning The coaches' decision making ability and/or motive. Brewer played great, A breath if fresh air wrt accuracy, but not sure about his deep ball ability. The few 20+ passes he threw floated a bit, but were still on the money. I am there will be more to come.

Didn't watch the game beginning to end, but how did the line do overall, in particular the guards/interior line?? I saw Conte's block (damn that dude is huge) on Shai's run. How about Teller? I don't see how Wang is going to be able to get a big push on tOSU D-Line. I think he just needs to be the 6th man on the line, interior utility player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Nice game yesterday. Sounds like coaches, players, and fans alike were pleased with effort and overall offensive production. Defensive played lights out most of the day.

I agree with most of you concerning the RB situation. McKenzie and Williams should get the meat of the carries next week. If that isn't the case, I will be seriously questioning The coaches' decision making ability and/or motive. Brewer played great, A breath if fresh air wrt accuracy, but not sure about his deep ball ability. The few 20+ passes he threw floated a bit, but were still on the money. I am there will be more to come.

Didn't watch the game beginning to end, but how did the line do overall, in particular the guards/interior line?? I saw Conte's block (damn that dude is huge) on Shai's run. How about Teller? I don't see how Wang is going to be able to get a big push on tOSU D-Line. I think he just needs to be the 6th man on the line, interior utility player.

I wasn't super impressed with the line play on either side. Our d-line got pushed around a lot in the first half, but as always I think Bud made some adjustments, and they played much better in the second half. The o-line struggled in the first half to get any sort of push in the run game, but the pass protection overall was pretty good. The o-line also opened up more holes for our rb's in the second half.

I was impressed with Brewer as well as the freshmen wide receivers and the tight ends. I think Bucky Hodges, Cam Phillips, and Isaiah Ford have really bright futures ahead of them. Byrn and Stanford didn't get thrown to as much, but when they got the opportunity they made the most out of it. I like the fact we're spreading the ball around more in the passing game, first time in a while we've had so many options.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how Malleck is doing? That one throw to the sideline where he landed on his left shoulder looked tough...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TKP's French was definitely not Wang's biggest fan yesterday. He had this to say about Teller:

I would be very surprised if Teller couldn't get more push than Wang, but there are other aspects to the position as well, so... Will be something to keep an eye on. Certainly could have used better push on several occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my biggest takeaway was how effective the passing game was. The running game with Shai and Juice was good too, JC has no place with the starters. I agree with French, we need to get Wang out of there and replace him with Teller, and get Shai in there as well. He and Juice should alternate series.

Back to the passing game, I'm sure we will see a lot of tipped balls out of Brewer (just because of his height). But man Bucky, Phillips, and Ford were impressive. Did our receiving corps have a single drop on catchable balls? If so, I don't remember them.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how Malleck is doing? That one throw to the sideline where he landed on his left shoulder looked tough...

I believe he's fine. Also just noticed he's been named one of the captains for the OSU game.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As expected... the TEs will have a bigger role this year:

:)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed the up to date music during dead balls. It wasn't overkill, and definitely helped keep the energy level up. The band was mic'd well and they played new music as well. It wasn't just the same opening lines to Crazy Train the whole game. There were fewer ads during dead balls, and Hokie Vision wasn't covered in them. There seemed to be more replays when you wanted to see them, etc. There was also a pretty slick 'DBU' graphic any time our DBs made a good play.

It just seemed to be a more professional, up to date experience.

Thank god there's new music all around. It has been pretty bad for awhile, especially the band.

Looked like the interior struggled more than the tackles did. They were also shuffling personnel in quite a bit. Conte looked pretty good and Teller did ok from what I could tell though he did have some mistakes. On the tip for INT, I'm pretty sure it was him that got blown up allowing the d-linemen to get pressure. But Wang looked pretty bad and I'm guessing that's why Teller was put into the game. Honestly, I don't see how Wang keeps getting starts. For the last 2 years I've never thought he was all that impressive.

I read somewhere he just got the wind knocked out of him

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked for a Fuller gif, TKP delivered. Witness beauty:

60B30WX.gif

GIFTORY: William & Mary | The Key Play

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed the up to date music during dead balls. It wasn't overkill, and definitely helped keep the energy level up. The band was mic'd well and they played new music as well. It wasn't just the same opening lines to Crazy Train the whole game. There were fewer ads during dead balls, and Hokie Vision wasn't covered in them. There seemed to be more replays when you wanted to see them, etc. There was also a pretty slick 'DBU' graphic any time our DBs made a good play.

It just seemed to be a more professional, up to date experience.

Great stuff. Babcock has been doing a bangup job so far from what I can tell.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw some interesting numbers out there. The list of true freshmen this year is going to be a long one. The ones I noticed:

1 Isaiah Ford
3 Greg Stroman
18 Cam Phillips
21 CJ Reavis
22 Shai McKenzie
42 Marshawn Williams
46 Joey Slye
64 Eric Gallo
74 Braxton Pfaff

Did anyone see others? I thought Keihn would be out there, but I didn't notice him.

Bitter says that Keihn did play. That makes 10.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in Andy Bitter's blog, he said 17 freshman played. Something like 24 (maybe 26?) dressed.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in Andy Bitter's blog, he said 17 freshman played. Something like 24 (maybe 26?) dressed.

I am totally off on these numbers. I'll try to find what I read.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bitter said 17 true freshmen dressed and 10 played.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Freak going to do the full-game highlights like he usually does? I was hosting some folks at my place and felt like I missed a lot of the game.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shai McKenzie has been named ACC rookie of the week :yahoo: