• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. William & Mary, Lane Stadium, 4PM ESPNNEWS

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shai is our best RB from a running perspective. I don't give a shit what the coaches say.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he starts next week

I told myself my above statement after his first carry. I love Marshawn's game as well, but Shai is our next Ryan Williams IMO. I would love to see some 2 TB formations with Williams and Shai out there at the same time. Williams has got some BEAST legs/thighs....no dabo.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know, but you can't overturn that.

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46&2 why don't you like Settle?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's good to have Corey Marshall back but the overall size of our defense (or lack of) concerns me

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap, we could see our backup QB come in for mop up duty. We haven't seen that in the past several years...

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And agree about JC .. A great hokie and situational back... But we have two true freshman who are beasts ..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
so what does Beamer do with Caleb, move him to another position? maybe defense, we need depth in the secondary, he played safety in HS right? he's buried on the depth chart at RB

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw some interesting numbers out there. The list of true freshmen this year is going to be a long one. The ones I noticed:

1 Isaiah Ford
3 Greg Stroman
18 Cam Phillips
21 CJ Reavis
22 Shai McKenzie
42 Marshawn Williams
46 Joey Slye
64 Eric Gallo
74 Braxton Pfaff

Did anyone see others? I thought Keihn would be out there, but I didn't notice him.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BwUrARrCcAAEd2I.jpg

Pleasantly happy with the yardage, balance on offense, and third down conversions. Need more points. Still waiting on the return of Beamerball.....looked like last year on kickoff returns.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game by the Hokies. For the first time in a while, a supposed blowout vs a 1-AA team finished that way. I wonder if Brewer is not that good at the deep ball (announcers kept talking up Leal's arm) or if the coaches were just keeping plays under wraps for OSU.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the game now. Haven't followed the thread. GAMEDAY atmosphere is awesome. Much improves.

I will join Hokie club after this

What's different about it? I plan on going to a few later this year.

Game thoughts in no order:

-Brewer looked very good out there. There were a couple of bad balls (2 two tipped, one that was an INT) and Bucky bailed him out on an underthrow for a TD but those were literally like his only poor passes. He showed a lot of poise and command of the offense. I saw him looking all over the field going through his reads and he moved around in the pocket to by time when needed. 2nd best debut of the day.

-Best debut of the day? Shai McKenzie of course. He showed exactly why the coaches can't keep him off the field despite only being on campus a couple of months. It's one game and I'm trying to temper myself but he just has "the look". I get the same feeling watching him that I did with Kevin Jones, Ryan Williams, David Wilson, etc. I can't really explain since I'm not a football guru but it's just something about him that makes you say "Yep...that dude is gonna play on Sundays". He showed good power, good vision, and good speed. And I don't mean just straight line speed. I mean changing speeds. Like his directional cuts were super crisp. Bright future for this kid if today is any indication

-Juice did well today also. JC was ok as well but I think its pretty clear he should just be in a supporting role. My question now is...what do you do with Edmunds?

-Receiving unit was great from the TEs to WRs. Everyone got involved with various looks. Very pleased with that aspect and look to continue to see it grow.

-OL did well in pass protect, not so much in run blocking. Goal line was embarrassing. We absolutely have to be better if we want to achieve lofty goals this year.

-I was surprised at how much our defense was getting pushed around at the start of the game but we adjusted pretty well as the game went along. Still...it's definitely a bit of a concern heading into OSU and against other D1 athletes with size and speed. Might have to experience some growing pains.

-Can we get a Kendall gif? That pass deflection was beautiful.

-Overall I'd grade the game a solid B. It was still an FCS opponent and to get an A, you'd need to really take them to the woodshed. We didn't do that. There's still some stuff that needs polishing but its definitely a promising start.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewer looked very good out there. There were a couple of bad balls (2 two tipped, one that was an INT) and Bucky bailed him out on an underthrow for a TD but those were literally like his only poor passes. He showed a lot of poise and command of the offense. I saw him looking all over the field going through his reads and he moved around in the pocket to by time when needed. 2nd best debut of the day.
My favorite part about Brewer is that he has good touch on his throws. You can't throw bullets every down and not expect drops and deflections for INT.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's different about it? I plan on going to a few later this year.

I enjoyed the up to date music during dead balls. It wasn't overkill, and definitely helped keep the energy level up. The band was mic'd well and they played new music as well. It wasn't just the same opening lines to Crazy Train the whole game. There were fewer ads during dead balls, and Hokie Vision wasn't covered in them. There seemed to be more replays when you wanted to see them, etc. There was also a pretty slick 'DBU' graphic any time our DBs made a good play.

It just seemed to be a more professional, up to date experience.