• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. Pitt, Heinz Field, 7:30P Thursday Night, ESPN

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About damn time that we've gotten a TD...too little too late I'm afraid. Most fans would feel some sort of optimism at this point, but not Hokies. We know all too well how shit works with our team, and that this is only a false sense of hope late in the game.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Need a pretty quick stop by the defense. That clocks going to be running nonstop.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We used to be a top 15 program. Now we're trying to find moral victories out of losses to a Pitt team who lost to Akron.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an effort to not cause ruckus on our board I will just say this game was a product of poor coaching. I know we have some of our playmakers hurt, but what I saw today from our coaches was fucking horrible.

EDIT: Why is it that everyone can see Caleb is the better back for a PITT defense. Fucking morons.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe we had a shot to win that game. But we didn't deserve to win. Credit to Pitt for playing to their strengths. It's a damn shame our offense didn't show up to make it a real fight.

Despite all the poor 1st half play, I say we lost the game on that retarded trick play. Brewer had finally found some comfort playing uptempo and Loeffler takes him right out of it with that stupid play that loses yards. And then he goes for it on 4th down at midfield. There's still 10 minutes left at that point. Just punt. Pitt takes the short field and scores a TD quickly, ball game.

I say give the defense a day off. The unit as a whole did a helluva job keeping us in the game. But the offense...someone needs to invent an extra day of the week to chew their asses out in practice, coaching staff included. Just fucking awful playcalling

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People got used to a top 25 program and forgot that beamer et all were the ones who got us there. I guess my $.02 is that eventually the defense can't carry us. Not much has changed in the last decade except for wins and moral of fans expecting wins.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an effort to not cause ruckus on our board I will just say this game was a product of poor coaching. I know we have some of our playmakers hurt, but what I saw today from our coaches was fucking horrible.

Poor coaching....to go along with poor play calling, poor execution, poor tackling, poor blocking, poor throwing, poor catching, poor kick returning (except for the one punt return)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe we had a shot to win that game. But we didn't deserve to win. Credit to Pitt for playing to their strengths. It's a damn shame our offense didn't show up to make it a real fight.

Despite all the poor 1st half play, I say we lost the game on that retarded trick play. Brewer had finally found some comfort playing uptempo and Loeffler takes him right out of it with that stupid play that loses yards. And then he goes for it on 4th down at midfield. There's still 10 minutes left at that point. Just punt. Pitt takes the short field and scores a TD quickly, ball game.

I say give the defense a day off. The unit as a whole did a helluva job keeping us in the game. But the offense...someone needs to invent an extra day of the week to chew their asses out in practice, coaching staff included. Just fucking awful playcalling

This is basically how I feel overal . Can't keep relying on the D to win games year in year out

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is basically how I feel overal . Can't keep relying on the D to win games year in year out

That's my point - our offensive play calling is just mind boggling at times. Then we are put in a position to rely on the D because of our offensive issues. As one of my friends states, we just need a dual threat in there that can run when the play breaks down to extend drives. Our play calling and offense has been horrid since Kevin Rodgers left. By the way...I see Rogers the QB / OC coach at W&M...just saying...

EDIT: And to whoever thumbs downed my previous post. You can suck on my D. Tired of being reserved when it comes to this team. This is how I feel so deal with it.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch :L

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point - our offensive play calling is just mind boggling at times. Then we are put in a position to rely on the D because of our offensive issues. As one of my friends states, we just need a dual threat in there that can run when the play breaks down to extend drives. Our play calling and offense has been horrid since Kevin Rodgers left. By the way...I see Rogers the QB / OC coach at W&M...just saying...

EDIT: And to whoever thumbs downed my previous post. You can suck on my D. Tired of being reserved when it comes to this team. This is how I feel so deal with it.

You got 2 thumbs up bro. It's all good: :suds:

Been thinking it over since the game ended because I'm a masochist and I enjoy torturing myself. Can anyone find any semblance of a game plan on offense at the start? Like I figured we'd try to do something to make up for Marshawn but I swear all Loeffler did was just sub Rogers in and pretend nothing ever happened. Runs to nowhere and route combinations that made no damn sense given down/distance. I'm begging someone to show me what he had in mind.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got 2 thumbs up bro. It's all good: :suds:

Been thinking it over since the game ended because I'm a masochist and I enjoy torturing myself. Can anyone find any semblance of a game plan on offense at the start? Like I figured we'd try to do something to make up for Marshawn but I swear all Loeffler did was just sub Rogers in and pretend nothing ever happened. Runs to nowhere and route combinations that made no damn sense given down/distance. I'm begging someone to show me what he had in mind.

Ok not going to lie - the prior post by me was major drunk posting LOL! And wouldn't you know, the drink of choice was Wild Turkey. :suds:

I totally agree with you. I also know JC is ALL heart on the team and the kid is great. But trying to run the ball with him on the first two series to set the tone against that type of D was just crazy to me. It was like you said, he just decides to just sub in Rogers and Caleb in place of MW. Caleb is the better back for pounding the rock and we used to be a 4 * WR. So why not leverage he and Newsome in some packages or option pitch to him? Also are we red shirting Durkin? If not, would be interested to see him play on some limited series.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone should lose their job over the presnap penalties and mass confusion that leads to us burning timeouts to avoid our 20th false start penalty. fucking ridiculous. as bad as we played, these penalties are ultimately what i feel cost us the game....i mean we had a 2nd and goal from the 3 turn into a 2nd and goal from the 13 in back to back presnap penalties! wtf!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
someone should lose their job over the presnap penalties and mass confusion that leads to us burning timeouts to avoid our 20th false start penalty. fucking ridiculous. as bad as we played, these penalties are ultimately what i feel cost us the game....i mean we had a 2nd and goal from the 3 turn into a 2nd and goal from the 13 in back to back presnap penalties! wtf!

I'm with you on this. It's the number 1 on-field problem that cannot be tolerated. Not only this game, but the whole season has had the same problems. Procedure penalties are just not acceptable. This is especially true if we can't block to begin with. The ESPN crew was mocking our ineptitude in light of the very mild fan support for the home team.

Just after the first time out in the second half (I believe, possibly a different timeout), Sam Rogers had to run off the field. Honestly, we had guys at the line: could have been yet another substitution penalty. How can this be a problem literally after a timeout? Start lining them up like kindergartners!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on this. It's the number 1 on-field problem that cannot be tolerated. Not only this game, but the whole season has had the same problems. Procedure penalties are just not acceptable. This is especially true if we can't block to begin with. The ESPN crew was mocking our ineptitude in light of the very mild fan support for the home team.

Just after the first time out in the second half (I believe, possibly a different timeout), Sam Rogers had to run off the field. Honestly, we had guys at the line: could have been yet another substitution penalty. How can this be a problem literally after a timeout? Start lining them up like kindergartners!

yep, we're probably one of the most penalized teams in college football...and I would say maybe 10% of our penalties (if that) are for things like facemask, pass interference, etc...the vast majority is procedural shit

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree. Even the way the game was working, those timeouts would have been gold at the end of the game.

And it's not like this is a recent development.

On the brighter side, even though Brewer looked terrible for most of the game, he avoided throwing any turnovers. He's developing, even if it doesn't show.