• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT vs. GT - 9/3/12

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JC Coleman's legs move so fast lol

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see JC back there returning punts, he's just so damn quick.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got some more thoughts after reading fans' reactions at various places today. I'm not directly attacking anyone here so don't get your panties all in a knot if you fall into this category (and if you do get offended, HA! You just got butthurt by the internetz)

- I've been seeing a lot of people blaming O'Cain and Stiney, saying things like "why didn't we run more?" and "we need an identity". SHUT THE FUCK UP. We had an identity. All we use to do was runs up the middle with an occasional deep pass. 99% of everyone hated (the 1% being Frank Beamer who kept Stiney employed). Everyone called for changes and bitched about how shitty our offense was. Now we make changes and you're still bitching after 1 game, crying out for what use to be (running more) and how we don't have an identity despite the fact we just spent an entire offseason throwing in multiple sets to take advantage of our very gifted QB. In years past, Stiney absolutely deserved the criticism he got. But after last night's game? Not so much. Stick a turkey leg in your mouth if all you're going to do is break out the lazy "Stinespring sucks" excuse for why the offense struggled.

There was nothing outrageous about the play calling. We started off running the ball well, but GT adjusted and took it away by playing damn near everyone close to the line. We adjusted by calling more passes. But guess what? LT couldn't hit the throws. So we were stuck with the choice of throwing inaccurate passes or running basically against 9 man fronts. Pick your poison. Were some of the play calls bad (like the bubble screens)? Yes, but its also LT's responsibility to read the defense and make adjustments. He didn't do it. Several times I saw him go right to the line, staring down his target even before the snap, and then ran the play without even reading the defense. There was more going than just "hey, our OC sucks" last night. Luckily, we escaped.

-I think its unfair to criticize the secondary after this game. Everyone was dialed in on the triple option. It's hard to judge them because of this since they're not in traditional pass coverage. They won't see another team like this all season. Reserve your judgement a few weeks on this before saying our safeties were exposed, etc.

FWIW, most of the blown coverages I saw came from LBs running into each other. Again, triple option. You probably won't see this later on because certain personnel won't be on the field in these spots.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly how many runs failed because they were playing up close to the line? We gave up on it VERY quickly.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is no ONE thing that the coaches should be trying to do. It varies year to year, game to game, with your personnel, with your opponent. But ours can't figure it out because they have HS level or D-II offensive minds

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0,,6636954_401,00.jpg

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People aren't mad because we ran up the middle. They're mad because the playcalling continues to be VERY predictable and very vanilla, with few to no adjustments being made midgame. It isn't a scheme thing as much as it is just coaching style

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly how many runs failed because they were playing up close to the line? We gave up on it VERY quickly.

Go watch Holmes' carries prior his breakout in OT. He had two or three good runs, but most were for minimal gains or losses.

And do you want to continue to run your starting QB, who the offense is totally built around, into 9 and 10 men all game? Cuz if you do, you have no right to criticize Bryan Stinespring for doing the same thing over and over and over.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People talk about how Foster and the D only look good because the other teams possessions are limited. Well even if the other team got the ball a couple more times a game Foster's D still would look good. How many additional yards and points do those people think would be added on? Enough for Foster and his D to look like a pile of crap? No it's more of one side of the team is carrying the other one. Good coaches on one side, shit on the other

Last edited by a moderator:

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Go watch Holmes' carries prior his breakout in OT. He had two or three good runs, but most were for minimal gains or losses.

And do you want to continue to run your starting QB, who the offense is totally built around, into 9 and 10 men all game? Cuz if you do, you have no right to criticize Bryan Stinespring for doing the same thing over and over and over.

Logan has the option to handoff on the option only he never does. 90% of the time he keeps it. I'd say it's not limited to the game so he must be doing it in all the scrimmages and practices. It's on the coaches to tell him the handoff is the better option sometimes but I guess they're not doing it because he's running every time this year again. That's the coaches fault. Poor instruction

Okay so we've got 2-3 unproductive runs vs. about 10-15 errant passes. Like I said should've tried something else

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a chance to watch the game after seeing it from the east stands. I'm not sure we can take too much away from this game with regards to our performance the rest of the season. I will say I was very disappointed with our WR play other than Fuller and Knowles.

Anyone else find the announcers for this game really annoying? I need to find a way to superimpose Bill and Mike over the footage. Maybe VTPhreak can do it.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but JC and Holmes look fully capable of getting more carries. I don't want LT carrying the ball so much; bottom line. He will build a rapport with his receivers and improve his accuracy, but I want him to shoulder less of the load.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that game would have been a blowout if LT could hit the broad side of a barn when it wasn't absolutely vital. granted, i prefer him be dynamite when its absolutely vital instead of when it doesn't REALLY matter, but a couple decent throws earlier in the game and i think that wouldve been a blowout

i personally dont really like the read option.. i know its worked other places, but im just not really a fan of it in general, even at other schools.. i'm not really gunna hold it against the coaching staff, because it is an offense that works these days, i just dont like it.. props to the coaching staff for making significant changes though, i do think that was needed

but as far as that offense goes, i didnt think the play calling was too bad.. i think they probably could've tried a couple more passes down field to open it up a little bit because i dont think they did anything to stretch the defense between the 1st play of the game and knowles' TD, i think that would've helped.. that, the bubble screens as noted, and there was one 3rd and 8ish where they called a screen to holmes that i thought was dumb.. aside from that i thought it was more lack of execution (first game jitters) then play calling deficiencies

i thought the defense was outstanding.. couple missed tackles and a few very good throws/plays by washington away from being perfect IMO.. for all intents and purposes they gave up 10 points in my book (tough spot after the dropped punt)

also, very small sample size, and i was watching from the east stands so i couldn't really tell if he was just benefiting from better blocking or what, but i think by the end of the season coleman will be the starting RB.. he had some serious pop in the holes once he started getting the ball

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly, i think had we not fumbled the punt we would have won comfortably. that one play really swung momentum. GT cant play from behind well typically, and that fumble gave them a short field and momentum. certainly was a game changing moment, just glad we still came out on top

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
To hunz,

I liked our safeties. Went back and watched a bunch of plays on DVR and they were in good spots. With the TO, they have run responsibility as well and get coaxed up. I think that we will be devastating against the pass this year with essentially four big cornerbacks out there that like to hit, but with the TO, they got a caught up occasionally but still looked good.

after re watching i have to admit i was wrong about Jarrett, overall he played pretty well. Bonner just didnt do anything to impress me though. He had several chances to come in and "clean up" a play but seemed timid, there were also several times he didnt wrap up which allowed extra yards for GT, not to mention that on GT's second TD drive bonner was responsible for the WR who caught 4th and 1 pass and the TD.