• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. Georgia Tech, Lane Stadium, 12PM ESPN

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Injury report: Maddy probable, Marshall good, Malleck doubtful for Georgia Tech <a href="http://t.co/LrOTC37Pfg">http://t.co/LrOTC37Pfg</a> <a href="">September 18, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>TE Kalvin Cline also absent from report, a very good sign he’ll fill Malleck’s role in the offense. WR Carlis Parker also seems ok. <a href="">September 18, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Word from my ATL peeps is that GT has put a ton of emphasis on winning this game. Paul Johnson supposedly has something up his sleeve. We know that this one is always a chess match. I guess we'll see what happens and how VT reacts. Go Hokies!

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I am always antsy about playing ECU, I am worse about GT. I hate playing them. If our boys can tackle and sustain drives to keep our D rested, I think we will be ok. If GT keeps picking up those 4 yd chunks with a couple big plays in there, we're in trouble.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to say anything that's outrageous here....

But really hope we win this weekend. That would be swell.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good news<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Saw Luther Maddy walking to practice. No noticeable limp at all. Good news for the <a href="">September 19, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Corey Marshall is a beast .. We beat ECU last week if he had played

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to crap the bed in front of prospects. So much for making a good showing. Instead defensive gives up a 4th and 15 to a team that barely passes. And Brewer makes Logan's defensive reads look good.

It is going to be another frustrating season with 7-8 wins.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That game was VT's to win or lose.

Sorry, but Foster has to get off the invincibility rap. 4th and 15, you have to stop the pass. If you do the same thing every time, the offensive coach of the other team is going to figure you out.

Brewer needs to get a bit more conservative if the situation warrants it. 2 minutes left in the game, you don't take chances.

And what's with the offensive substitution calls? Figure that out already.

This was an important game. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. There were lots of ways to win that, mostly by minimizing mistakes at the end.

One loss was acceptable. Two losses? Not acceptable. Execution was flawed, but too many mental mistakes and the loss of discipline on coverage was on the coaches.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penalties and turnovers. Both were preventable, but we decide not to, and lose.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#brewerball :L

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penalties and turnovers. Both were preventable, but we decide not to, and lose.

This. There is no excuse to have 12 penalties (FIVE illegal substitutions, are you fucking serious???) and Brewer HAS to get his pick issue under control.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This. There is no excuse to have 12 penalties (FIVE illegal substitutions, are you fucking serious???) and Brewer HAS to get his pick issue under control.

In a close game, which they always are under Beamer, these things will kill you.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
we threw that game away with mental mistakes, and it hurts, our youth showed today. Brewer's INT's really killed us, and while I love Bud's aggressive play calling, we've given up a lot of big plays because of it. Also, what ever happened to our running game? Run-blocking has been awful, and some of RB's are struggling to make proper reads.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we threw that game away with mental mistakes, and it hurts, our youth showed today. Brewer's INT's really killed us, and while I love Bud's aggressive play calling, we've given up a lot of big plays because of it. Also, what ever happened to our running game? Run-blocking has been awful, and some of RB's are struggling to make proper reads.

I didn't watch the game beginning to end, but what you say seems spot on. No reason you should be blitzing on a 4th and 15. I love the way Bud plays his D, aggressive, kill the QB. But certain situations call for a more conservative approach.

Brewer needs to quit forcing in certain situations. The turnovers are killing us.

And the O Line, especially in running situations... As one of the most famous rants goes... "They were who we thought they were"

The million penalties for illegal substitutions, flat out embarrassing.

I am not ready to write this team off yet. We have seen what they are capable of. If the mistakes can get cleaned up on offense (penalties, turnovers, and some life in the running game), then I think we can still win the Coastal. But that shit needs to get cleaned up ... NOW.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC getting smoked by ECU means we still have a chance in the Coastal. But the reality is this is a very young team that continues to make mistakes. Hokies had poor execution in so many phases today. Special teams continue to be non-special. The blocked FG cost us a chance to almost put the game away with a two-score lead. Running game still a mess like it has been under Shane. Brewer has more INT than TD now. And SMH at what the OL is like if Wang continues to start.

The sad thing is Ford is a total stud. Cam Phillips is very good too. Our WR should be like when we had Coale, Boykins, and Coles a few years back. I'd throw fades to Bucky Hodges every single time we are inside the 10. Williams and McKenzie look to be the typical VT tailback. There is a ton of talent up front and in the secondary. There is no reason the team is losing except for they find a way to lose.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams haven't been special Cat, but I think everyone outside of the VT faithful still thinks that #Beamerball is still alive in that respect. Fact is, we have been much better thus far in not allowing big gains in the return game this year. I think Stroman has had several really nice returns, only to be called back in block in the back. Special teams are not spectacular, but they are better than they have been.

And yeah, ECU put the beat down on UNCheat. They are gonna run the table and be in a New Years game IMHO. They are not going to look like a bad loss at all come years end. I still think tOSU will still be a threat to win the B1G. The only teams that are even remotely on that level are Michigan St and Wisky.

All I am saying is that this is still a VERY good VT team if they can play and COACH well and without alot of mistakes.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It figures that we'd lose the first game I attend this season. Maybe I should have waited until WMU but who knows, we'd likely lose that too if we play that stupidly. On the positive side, at least it was a perfect Blacksburg day. I hope recruits like weather because the football on the field wasn't that impressive. Thoughts in no order:

-I've tried to be positive and keep an open mind with the O-line, but they flat out suck. They're serviceable in pass protect but downright lousy run blocking. The TEs and FB could do a bit better at times but the line gets no push or creates any holes. Yeah, they had a couple of good plays but they are few and far between. Too many times today the RB would get the ball and he'd literally have nowhere to go. Some of those runs were all gusto from Marshawn or Shai. These are vets too. They won't get any better. We'd be better off shuffling the line around and playing the younger linemen. Maybe they won't be better (can't be any worse) but you'd at least get experience.

-Defensively, I'm not sure we could have played much better, not that we played great. You gotta tip your cap to GT. Best I could tell, they did a pretty good job executing their blocks and we just couldn't shed them before giving up big yardage. We really missed Kyle Fuller with that respect. If you remember the last 2 years, Kyle was a MONSTER shedding his man and stopping them on the perimeter. With him gone, they tore up the yardage on the perimeter. The fault that I did see is that Foster likely hurt us. For the 2nd game in a row, he's been far too aggressive, leaving the DBs completely overmatched. There was no reason at all to bring pressure on that late 4th and long, yet he brought the house and left the middle wide open. The DBs never had a chance.

-The offense gave this game away. We just kept saying "No GT, we don't want points here. Please, win this game". We had numerous opportunities to put the game away or make things more difficult for GT, but we found a way to fuck it up. Brewer's INTs, the total lack of a run game, bad coaching decisions and the totally inexcusable substitution violations. Do we not have any assistants in charge of personnel to say who goes into the game? Shane? Moorehead? Anyone? I started watching the sidelines after the 3rd one and it's total chaos between plays. I don't know if they showed it on TV but there's like between 4 or 5 guys running back and forth trying to figure out who's doing what. Inexcusable. Those penalties literally killed several of our drives. The sideline coaches need their asses chewed out and Loeffler needs to be sat down and forced to come up with a list of who is playing and who isn't. No more getting everyone on the depth chart a play because its clear they can't handle it.

-Here's a perfect sequence that highlights many of our problems today. We recover a fumble on GT's 10. Tailor made for a TD. The first play we run a HB toss with JC to the short side of the field. Moronic. I had a good view because it was basically right in front of me (though I was midway up). He got no blocks. Even if he did, they would have had to be perfect blocks because there was zero room to run. Which is why its stupid to run a toss to the short side of the field. So after that no gain, we get a sub penalty. Now we're backed up. Then we get nothing, attempt a FG, and it gets blocked by a guy who looked to be untouched. Bad coaching, bad play all leads to zero points when points had all but been gift wrapped to us.

-And finally there's Brewer, who made 3 of the worst INTs in VT history. They are right up there with some of LT's brain farts from last year and Glennon's patented drive killer into triple coverage throws. What makes it even worse is you can see he's a pretty good QB. Most of the time, he sees the field well. GT was (stupidly imo) giving up a ridiculous amount of space and he was able to identify who had the best match up and get them the ball. Despite no run game, he was able to move the ball effectively. GT couldn't stop us on D, but we stopped ourselves thru dumb penalties or his INTs.

The 1st INT was dreadful. It's a prime opportunity to get points and head into halftime possibly up 20-3 with us getting the ball at the start of third. Against GT, that could very well seal the game. Instead, he lofts a punt into the middle of the field to no one and its easily picked. GT gets a TD and its a different ball game. The 2nd was just as terrible, again mind-numbly stupid lofting a pass over the middle on a busted play. This basic QB stuff. You NEVER do this. And the 3rd was just pure stubborness. Again I had a good view. Bucky was double covered from the start and Brewer stares him down the entire time. By the time he throws, a third defender is there and the pass is easily picked. To make it worse, Phillips is wide open underneath Bucky and I'm pretty sure Brewer had a guy open in the middle as well. It's times like this we need a Nick Saban personality on staff because those throws deserve a thorough tongue lashing. They're bench worthy plays.

So to sum up the rant (man it feels good to decompress), GT played well enough to win but we definitely could have done more to make them really earn it. They say playing GT is "death by 1000 cuts". Well today, while GT did some of the cutting, we pulled out our own razor and said "here, let me help you with that".