• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT @ UNCheat, Chapel Hill, NC, 12:30P ESPN

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is true but they do deserve some credit for holding onto the ball for 41:03 of game time. Gotta think that was the game plan and a big reason we won by 3 scores. Dont wanna get into a shootout against UNC

I agree - they were executing a game plan. The objective was to win, and they did that.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true but they do deserve some credit for holding onto the ball for 41:03 of game time. Gotta think that was the game plan and a big reason we won by 3 scores. Dont wanna get into a shootout against UNC
That's not hard against a team that only runs the hurry up. Every team UNC has played this year has had the ball longer than them. Including Liberty.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing to have the ball longer than them and it's another to just straight up burn the clock which is what the game plan appeared to be and worked. We were committed to running the ball and keeping their offense off the field. I just wished we were able to run the ball a bit better in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Also I am a big fan of Caleb. That dude needs to see the field more in some capacity.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will have to with Shai, Edmunds, and Marshawn all out...

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will have to with Shai, Edmunds, and Marshawn all out...

Is it confirmed that Marshawn is out? I haven't heard a timetable for his recovery....could be back in time for Pitt which would be great. UVA's Parks ran wild on Pitt...and that is with UVA's passing game looking rather inept.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's not hard against a team that only runs the hurry up. Every team UNC has played this year has had the ball longer than them. Including Liberty.

I suppose the real difference is holding the ball longer than them, and minimizing their points. This was UNC's lowest point total of the year.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it confirmed that Marshawn is out?

Yea, any status update on this? If we're going to have a ball-control, clock-control offensive scheme, we're going to need a workhorse RB and JC and Caleb aren't it... yet. I don't think JC ever can be, and I've got my doubts on Caleb (he doesn't seem much bigger than JC).

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, any status update on this? If we're going to have a ball-control, clock-control offensive scheme, we're going to need a workhorse RB and JC and Caleb aren't it... yet. I don't think JC ever can be, and I've got my doubts on Caleb (he doesn't seem much bigger than JC).

well, he's certainly taller, lol. Caleb listed at 6'2'', 200lbs. JC at 5'7'', 194lbs

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he's certainly taller, lol. Caleb listed at 6'2'', 200lbs. JC at 5'7'', 194lbs

That's what I'm saying, Caleb is a waif.

Weight is more important IMHO. Force = Mass * Acceleration, and height isn't the true measurement for mass. I don't think either guy could survive 150 carries from here on out.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Weight is more important IMHO. Force = Mass * Acceleration, and height isn't the true measurement for mass. I don't think either guy could survive 150 carries from here on out.

agreed

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we just run Bucky out of the wildcat all afternoon. That play has been real successful. :rolleyes2:

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't sell Caleb short until he has a chance to prove himself. I was at the spring game and that dude looked pretty legit to me. He also played a heck of alot better than MW and JC. Not saying he is the end all be all at RB - but the dude really hasn't had a chance to play as of yet.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't sell Caleb short until he has a chance to prove himself. I was at the spring game and that dude looked pretty legit to me. He also played a heck of alot better than MW and JC. Not saying he is the end all be all at RB - but the dude really hasn't had a chance to play as of yet.

I think he can gain yards. I think he's got some moves.

I don't think he's got the build, body and weight to do that every down. He needs to add some beef or run out of bounds a lot. Neither of these guys is a move-the-pile type back either, so we'd need to turn to Rodgers or someone else in those short yardage spots.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree ... Caleb can move a pile when he's running into the pile like a bat out of hell. He's no Juice but I think that he's a good combo of size, power, speed. In his limited work, I've been impressed. Doesn't he have the highest YPG of all of our RBs? I think if the play calling continues to suit these guys and Lefty can mix some stuff in to keep the D from stacking 8 into the box ... JC and Caleb both can run with some success.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree ... Caleb can move a pile when he's running into the pile like a bat out of hell. He's no Juice but I think that he's a good combo of size, power, speed. In his limited work, I've been impressed. Doesn't he have the highest YPG of all of our RBs? I think if the play calling continues to suit these guys and Lefty can mix some stuff in to keep the D from stacking 8 into the box ... JC and Caleb both can run with some success.

Another thing Beamer said (and he emphasized it... Hint hint Loeffler) after the game is that he would like to see more play action on 1st down. I didn't watch the game, listened to it on the radio. But I don't recall seeing many (if any) play action passes in previous games. I love the commitment to run the ball early and often, but you gotta mix it up and keep the defense guessing a little bit, particularly the linebackers. When you get those guys acting like their feet is made of stone, the offense (run and pass) instantly becomes much more productive.

And the false start penalties.. Is there something going on with Brewers cadence or something. Totally unacceptable for our 2 most senior guys, Wang, and our fucking center Farris to get so many of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And the false start penalties.. Is there something going on with Brewers cadence or something. Totally unacceptable for our 2 most senior guys, Wang, and our fucking center Farris to get so many of them.

It seems like that has cost enough yards at this point to be worth fixing.

I notice they fixed the substitution penalties this week.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing Beamer said (and he emphasized it... Hint hint Loeffler) after the game is that he would like to see more play action on 1st down. I didn't watch the game, listened to it on the radio. But I don't recall seeing many (if any) play action passes in previous games. I love the commitment to run the ball early and often, but you gotta mix it up and keep the defense guessing a little bit, particularly the linebackers. When you get those guys acting like their feet is made of stone, the offense (run and pass) instantly becomes much more productive.

There weren't many what I'd call traditional PA plays. We did do more passes with the jet sweep motion as a diversion (which was welcomed since its been missing in some games) so that's sort of similar. But I don't recall seeing many fake handoff to the RB play action passes. It's definitely something that should be used to loosen up the run game.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Marshawn?

I hear he hopes to be back for Pitt. Still, he's not getting the carries in practice this week... Time for JC and Caleb to get some more work between Saturdays and show what they can do. I was impressed with Caleb seemingly getting upfield quicker than anyone else so far, other than maybe Edmunds. We need that more than size at this point IMHO.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There weren't many what I'd call traditional PA plays. We did do more passes with the jet sweep motion as a diversion (which was welcomed since its been missing in some games) so that's sort of similar. But I don't recall seeing many fake handoff to the RB play action passes. It's definitely something that should be used to loosen up the run game.

I think it would help if we ran the ball more from under center or the pistol. When the LBs and Safeties see the QB turn to hand off, it freezes them even if it isn't a handoff in the end. When in the shotgun, the QB is facing the defense the whole time on play action or run plays so I feel the defense isn't biting as hard also because the shotgun runs are usually more outside plays that the defenders have more time to react to.