• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT @ UNCheat, Chapel Hill, NC, 12:30P ESPN

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the most important game we have this year within the ACC. We are already 0-1 in the conference/division and another early divisional loss would greatly hurt our chances of returning to the ACCCG, which I think is still very much in reach. A win and we get a little break to heal up and some confidence before a Thursday night showdown at Pitt.

The Carolina defense has looked suspect so I think we can score on them early and often if we have a good game plan. I would like to leave this game with a W and with an identity. The offense needs to be committed to the run and have a similar philosophy as we had against WMU. Top shelf the zone blocking bullshit and run more basic, more traditional plays (albeit may more than 2 different ones) and sets that maximizes the ability of our OL. If we can get the run going, it should make Brewers job much, much easier.

The Carolina offense is still plenty dangerous despite losing some weapons the last couple of years. I hope Foster takes a bit more conservative approach and plays a little bit more zone to give any corner not named Fuller some help (UNC has not ran the ball very effectively thus far). Williams is pretty good as we saw last year. He can burn the LP D if Foster wants to gamble too much.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNCs offense is actually pretty impressive. They will score points. I really hope our offense is able to keep up with what looks like a bad D. Being able to run is obviously important, but having Malleck healthy is going to be key. We need to have 2 TE options.

Obviously Brewer can't be as careless as he's been. We cannot afford to make it any easier for them while they're on D

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Dalton is slated to be there. A win is important

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNCs offense is actually pretty impressive. They will score points. I really hope our offense is able to keep up with what looks like a bad D. Being able to run is obviously important, but having Malleck healthy is going to be key. We need to have 2 TE options.

Obviously Brewer can't be as careless as he's been. We cannot afford to make it any easier for them while they're on D

If VT can eliminate the bad turnovers and stupid penalties, then we should win by double digits. I agree, the offense has missed a step with Malleck out....having him back is huge. VT's defense shut down ECU for 2.9 quarters.....the key will be making some stops early and getting control of the game. VT will be in for a long day if we allow UNC to jump on us early with a couple scores.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... VT's defense shut down ECU for 2.9 quarters...

Not to be naysayer, but did WE do that? Or did ECU have a stroke for 2.9 quarters and try to be a ball-control team instead of a spread, up-tempo passing team? It felt like they were trying to kill the clock right after they got up 21-0 and that's not at all who they are. On the last drive they returned to what they were doing in the 1st quarter and scored less than a minute later.

And that worries me more than a little... especially with our current ailing/patchwork DL, who were mostly healthy and whole vs. ECU.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ouch...:L<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tackle depth getting dire for the <a href="">October 2, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC has struggled on defense with every opponent they've faced this year. We SHOULD be able to score on them. But if the trend of the last couple of seasons holds, our offense will make UNC's D look like the Legion of Boom.

If we don't win this game, I say the rest of the year will be a fight to just make it to a bowl similar to a couple of seasons ago.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC has struggled on defense with every opponent they've faced this year. We SHOULD be able to score on them. But if the trend of the last couple of seasons holds, our offense will make UNC's D look like the Legion of Boom.

If we don't win this game, I say the rest of the year will be a fight to just make it to a bowl similar to a couple of seasons ago.
I wouldn't mind it if they made it into the Quick Lane Bowl haha

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st quarter was great. 2nd has been messy so far. We ran the ball really well going north/south but in the 2nd, we've either got nothing going east/west or the drive dies with some bad false start penalties. Also, I don't know if the WRs aren't getting separation or if Brewer isn't seeing the field but something seems a tad off.

EDIT: Defense is playing very well so far. But we HAVE to get some points on this drive. It's been 14-3 for awhile now. We can't keep letting UNC hang around.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 is better than zero but man it would have been great to get a TD just before half. OL really let us down there. Got stuffed on every run and then didn't protect Brewer long enough to get a throw off on third down. Whatever happened with the blocking in the 1st quarter is gone. UNC is really out-muscling us upfront. 17-3 Hokies with less than a minute left in the half.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's our TOUDCHDOWN!

Fuller jumps the route and houses it for the score! 24-3 Hokies!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aw shucks. Would have been nice to get that FG at the end of the half after the clock guy tried to screw us over by starting early but it looked really windy. Oh well. I'll definitely take the 24-3 halftime lead. Gotta stick with the gameplan going into the 2nd half by figuring out a way to keep that run game going so we can keep UNC off the field. UNC was able to slow us down as the game went along so it may be time to break out some play action or some HB/FB screens to loosen things up. Also, how great is Ekanem becoming? He's getting better every game, almost as good as Dadi.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd quarter almost over and its still 24-3. Defense is putting in work but our OL is killing us with drive killing penalties and no blocking. If we can just get one more score we can put this game on ice

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now Marshawn limps off with a leg injury. FML :L

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Brewer man. Just when I think he's gonna make thru a game with an INT, he throws an INT. VT up 24-10 with plenty of time left.