• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech Hoops vs DA U 2/9 9pm; BC 2/12 6pm; FSU 7pm

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game is pretty much the same now. In what universe does a team play Duke well to OT in CIS, but end up in the exact same situation against Georgia Tech at home? That's the complete polar opposite scenarios in the ACC, and its nearly the same result. It's no fluke. We've done these weird play-to-opponent games for years, but it's just amazingly obvious this season.

It's not too hard to figure out the reason if you've watched VT basketball over the years. The answer traces back to Greenberg, specifically his strategy. VT plays to survive, not to win. Our strategy is to play defense and muck the game up. Keep it close and try to snatch victory late with a few possessions. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. Slow the pace, keep it close. Wisconsin is probably the best team at this year after year.

Our problem is, regardless of the talent on the floor, we cannot capitalize on those final few possessions for mainly two reasons: Free throw shooting and offensive efficiency. Our offense is far too stagnant and its very difficult to create an easy shot. If you're going to play a muck it up style, you have no margin of error on offense. You have to score because you aren't going to get extra possessions based on your style of play.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want my front row ticket to the NC State I won at the Chalk Talk yesterday? I would use it but I am going to the game with some ladies from my corec intramural basketball team.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like raines' post ability and how it has developed. he does a very good job holding that pivot foot and finishing.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand why we are so weak with the ball at the top of the key. We have had so many lazy passes picked off over the year.

Edit: Agree, Chenson. Raines' progress has been very encouraging and I look forward to how he will improve over the summer

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51-47 State with 10 mins left. I'm looking at my master script for all VT basketball games and it says it'll remain close for the rest of the game. We'll miss some FTs that would give us the lead but still have a chance to win late. On the final possession, we'll turn the ball over without getting up a good shot.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we keep cutting it to around 4 or 5, then nc state gets it back to 9 or so. green needs to wake up...

also, lots of soft calls tonight have really gotten us into serious foul trouble.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, thats a wrap. very bad 2nd half performance. green has been very poor, so has rankin.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh snap. I looked over the attachment to the master script. Turns out this is when we do our usual "go for longer than 7 mins without scoring" strategy.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand why we are so weak with the ball at the top of the key. Rankin has had so many lazy passes picked off over the year.

Edit: Agree, Chenson. Raines' progress has been very encouraging and I look forward to how he will improve over the summer

fixed.

he personally accounts for 3-4 per game. if I was greenberg, he wouldnt play another minute until that was corrected.

and yeah i am lovin Raines these days, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had trouble against the 2-3 zone again. You don't beat a zone making 1 pass at a time. It certainly did not help that Hudson was ice cold from 3. We also seemed to just miss a lot of shots up close. I've seen it a lot where we drive to the basket at a bad angle and then throw something up hard against the backboard instead of looking for contact to get a better angle and the foul.

I uhh listening to an uhh radio interview of Dorian Finney uhhh Smith. He seemed to uhhhh say 'uhhh' every other uhhh word.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So which scenario is most Greenberg-isk way to end this season?

A The SG sigh - Tech gets blown out and they enjoy the rest of spring break. Giving up.

B The SG pain face and chair slap - Tech loses in the first round by one point. The same script all year.

C The SG breakdown - Tech somehow wins all the way to the Sunday by one point per game and loses on a last second 3 pointer. Thus giving everyone hope and then, as with every year, driving a rusty dagger through it.

I'm putting my money on B, but one never knows. Atleast it won't get any worse without ending the season.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably B.

I'd like to say C, because that's always fun. But we'd more than likely need to play Duke and UNC and I don't see us, even in a fun pretend ACC tourney, beating either.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which scenario is most Greenberg-isk way to end this season?

A The SG sigh - Tech gets blown out and they enjoy the rest of spring break. Giving up.

B The SG pain face and chair slap - Tech loses in the first round by one point. The same script all year.

C The SG breakdown - Tech somehow wins all the way to the Sunday by one point per game and loses on a last second 3 pointer. Thus giving everyone hope and then, as with every year, driving a rusty dagger through it.

I'm putting my money on B, but one never knows. Atleast it won't get any worse without ending the season.

D-We're winning the ACC Tournament baby!!! Do you believe in miracles? YES!

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we get clemson to start the tournament. the game will go down to the wire, just like the first 2. im just hoping to win in the 1st round, anything else would be gravy.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we get clemson to start the tournament. the game will go down to the wire, just like the first 2. im just hoping to win in the 1st round, anything else would be gravy.

Is Davilla going to be able to play in the ACC tourney? We could really use him to spell Raines.

Have a feeling the refs will determine the outcomes in the ACC Tourney....meaning depth will be an issue and free throws will be critical.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say D. We win the ACC tournament and become the first team to win their conference tournament and get snubbed from the NCAA despite the autobid.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say D. We win the ACC tournament and become the first team to win their conference tournament and get snubbed from the NCAA despite the autobid.

Puff puff pass croc. Puff puff puff puff puff leads to moments of shear insanity like you just had.