• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vet Prospect evaluator: a player's star rating "comes down to offers, not ability."

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ratings are based on scholarship offers. It doesn't take a nuclear scientist to figure out the formula that is used by most recruiting services. You don't see a 5-star player without a lot of offers from top 20 programs, do you? The offers come first, then the ratings.

"If the top 10 schools offer a kid, he is a 4-star or 5-star," Lemming said. "It comes down to offers, not ability. Look at the NFL draft. How many 5-star players are selected in the first round? Not many. Recruiting ratings are arbitrary, just one way to rate players."
When do recruiting ratings become relevant?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No," said recruiting analyst Tom Lemming of CBS Sports Network, who has been evaluating high school talent for 33 years. "They are put together for people who go online, to attract people. The lists will be completely different on signing day because there are a lot more players still to commit.

"Why are they doing it now? Internet websites have to differentiate themselves from one another. It's something to do in the off-season. Recruiting is a 12-month-a-year occupation, so college fans are always wondering who is committing or who is recruiting whom or who is thinking of committing.

Are you calling me out, Mr. Champy? lol
The above quote has got it dead right - it's a way for the fan to follow the team during the offseason, the same way NHL or NFL fans prepare for the draft, or discuss trades, FA's, and salary caps. And I think the guy is right that the star system is related to the quality of offers the recruit receives. Though there are some indicators (statistics, size, speed, camps, word-of-mouth from HS coaches) that the recruit is worth pursuing in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you calling me out, Mr. Champy? lol

:evil:

The above quote has got it dead right - it's a way for the fan to follow the team during the offseason, the same way NHL or NFL fans prepare for the draft, or discuss trades, FA's, and salary caps. And I think the guy is right that the star system is related to the quality of offers the recruit receives. Though there are some indicators (statistics, size, speed, camps, word-of-mouth from HS coaches) that the recruit is worth pursuing in the first place.

I've heard fans, etc mention before that recruits have gained a star from the recruiting sites once a few big named programs offered them scholarships. Now we've pretty much heard it from the horse's mouth.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon had the #1 and #2 rated running backs... until USC offered to a guy and then he jumped them.

It's always been about the school not the talent.

It's fine. Schools like Oregon, BSU, TCU, VT etc... will still do more with "less"

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how was this guy not a top 150 recruit according to any service? Check out all the offers he had by the time he committed in March of his Junior Year. I think ratings have more to do with what school they think a guy will commit to than anything else.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how was this guy not a top 150 recruit according to any service? Check out all the offers he had by the time he committed in March of his Junior Year. I think ratings have more to do with what school they think a guy will commit to than anything else.

He's #153 according to your link and rated 4 stars. Are you really complaining about him being 3 spots out of the top 150?

He's also #8 at his position and #2 in his state.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's #153 according to your link and rated 4 stars. Are you really complaining about him being 3 spots out of the top 150?

He's also #8 at his position and #2 in his state.

He was a consensus top tier OL with offers from every school he had any interest in. He was a top 50 lock. He commits to Bret Bielema (an outspoken critic of recruiting services) and lo and behold, he falls way down the rankings. This happens to 2-3 Badger recruits every year.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a consensus top tier OL with offers from every school he had any interest in. He was a top 50 lock. He commits to Bret Bielema (an outspoken critic of recruiting services) and lo and behold, he falls way down the rankings. This happens to 2-3 Badger recruits every year.

I'll take your word for it since I didn't see any of his scouting profiles before he committed.