• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Venables facing FSU for the third time

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venables doesn't say anything in this article to inspire my confidence. Sounds like he knows that we are going to get gashed by big plays.

buzztap.com - Tigers buzz

Last edited by a moderator:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more on the defense:

buzztap.com - Tigers buzz

Clemson, too, is not a balanced team.

*Clemson ranks 99th in the country in sacks (1.0 per game)

*Clemson ranks 84th in rushing yards allowed (180 rush yards per game)

*Clemson ranks 74th in tackles for loss.

Clearly the Clemson defense was not just a Kevin Steele problem. It is a personnel problem, at least in the present.

(The road map to victory at Florida State: quack like an Oregon Duck. Out-run, out-offense your opponent. Defense? Who cares?)

Clemson lacks impact players along its defense but particularly in the front seven. I asked Dabo Swinney about whether he had the difference makers required along the defensive line on Saturday, he told me to ask him the same question in two years. He correctly noted it can take time for defensive ends to develop, like Da’Quan Bowers. But I wasn’t asking about projecting talent, I was asking about this season.

When you look at the Swinney recruiting track record since 2009 it includes a litany of offensive difference makers. But there is not one defender who I think can be labeled an impact defender, one who is a true difference maker.

Time is running out for players like Quandon Christian, Jonathan Meeks, Corico Wright and Malliciah Goodman to prove they can keep offensive coordinators awake at night. Corey Crawford looks the part but is not yet an impact force. The jury is out on players like Vic Beasley, D.J. Reader, Tavaris Barnes, Lateek Townsend and Carlos Watkins (who I like but is a true freshman).

Even the five-star talents of the 2011 class – linebackers Stephone Anthony and Tony Steward – are still question marks. They have not been immediate stars like Sammy Watkins.

DC Brent Venables said Anthony is not where he wants him to be, not yet anyways. He said there has been some regression in learning a new scheme.

And Venables makes it sound like Steward is not a sure bet for stardom:

“(Steward) might as well have just gotten out of high school (because of injuries and new scheme). I expect improvement along the way. Every guy is different, it’s a process. It’s like playing a first-round draft pick. Some play within their first year, other times it takes them three years and sometimes it doesn’t happen at all. Maybe sometimes they are just a good college player, I can’t predict. He’s a great kid he loves to play the game. He has great humility. You can coach him hard. Has a good perspective. He’s not over impressed with himself.”

Dabo told me to ask him again about the defensive impact players in two years when they are “full grown men.”

Yes, in two years the defense could look much better. There could be a number of stars residing there. But that wasn't my question -- can the defense produce stars this season?

The problem is in two years Sammy Watkins and Tajh Boyd will be gone. For Clemson to have a special season it needs to develop impact players on defense, and in a hurry.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L The second half was terrible...

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you (Clemson fans) think about Venables?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you (Clemson fans) think about Venables?

not impressed at all so far. It's time to start considering someone new. We haven't solved any of the problems we had before he got there and they haven't gotten any better. We were suppose to have this "amazing" D line this year and yet UGA gashed us, then there's the FSU game last year that was a complete embarrassment, then you have a mediocre SCAR offense hanging 30+ pts on us since he's gotten here. The secondary is still pitiful with no change in sight either. No, I don't see a bright future as long as he's around. Maybe he'll change my mind this weekend. I doubt it, but I hope so.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not impressed at all so far. It's time to start considering someone new. We haven't solved any of the problems we had before he got there and they haven't gotten any better. We were suppose to have this "amazing" D line this year and yet UGA gashed us, then there's the FSU game last year that was a complete embarrassment, then you have a mediocre SCAR offense hanging 30+ pts on us since he's gotten here. The secondary is still pitiful with no change in sight either. No, I don't see a bright future as long as he's around. Maybe he'll change my mind this weekend. I doubt it, but I hope so.

At OU he was a bend but don't break reactive defense. I was happy to see him go and Mike Stoops to come back with an aggressive attacking defense.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have to eat my words. The D looked pretty good to me on Saturday against FSU. If they play like that every week, we can win out. Jury is still out.