• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vegas Golden Knights Expansion Draft Shenanigans Thread

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, less than impressed by the Vegas expansion draft last night. Could have built a much better team. Got to think the team will be in contention for #1 overall in the 2018 draft

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol you’re right, excuse me. A d-man you’ve been trying to offload for years, a mid-range prospect and a backup goalie have similar value as a whole to a 30 goal third line centre who got Selke votes this year.

He's a third line centre? Never mind then. We need a second line one.

I have eyes and I know Jack Johnson's flaws. But he is well liked in the league, has a lot of experience, only has a year left on his contract and on Colorado could be a top pair minute eating D man. And he's had moderate success in the past with Tyutin AND Golobef. Plus coach Bednar is familiar with Milano and Korpisalo/Forsberg - they won him the championship that landed him the job in Denver. Just because Milano won't unseat Bjork or Atkinson anytime soon doesn't mean he can't provide value elsewhere. The last guy who couldn't unseat Atkinson scored 30 this year for Florida.

Could all be moot anyway. Duchene would be great, but he's not the guy I want the most, just using him for argument's sake. Honestly if PLD is what they say, we'd be better served getting a sniping winger. Down the middle, we could be Wennberg - PLD - Dubinsky - Sedlak. That's not bad. Not as good as Wennberg - Duchene/Nuge - PLD - Dubinsky mind you. But not bad. Keeping Gagner could add flexibility too.

Nazem Kadri has outscored Matt Duchene over the past two years, btw, and is $2 million/yr cheaper.

It's all Babcock. And Mathews. And Don Cherry.

Saw a report that Toronto is looking for Veteran D men. :think:

You don't just have to exceed what Colorado thinks of Duchene to make the trade though, you also have to exceed what other teams wanting to trade for Duchene think of him. If Colorado wants to get rid of Duchene and are willing to get lowballed a little I suspect that there will be interest from other teams too.

This is a very fair point.

But in the past there have been other situations where a lot of teams expected to not compete with offers and a guy went for "too little". Dougie Hamilton springs to mind. Have to hope we have a similar situation here.

If, before it happened, I had suggested Anisimov, Dano and Corey Tropp for Brandon Saad, I would have been laughed at. Stranger things have happened. :hope:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, yes Milano was exempt. I had his name on the brain because of the first leak said a "prospect" with the first to take Clarkman, so that put him in "need to protect" in my mind.

After sleeping on it, it's still a lot, but maybe not as bad. You have to consider it not as one deal, but two. Say the first rounder alone was the payment for not picking who they wanted to keep (and let's not argue the choice, just acknowledge they had guys they wanted to keep). Steep? Yeah. But if they have a secondary deal in place to move one or two of the guys they wanted to protect in a package to get a Duchene or RNH, then it starts to look like it makes sense. Jarmo has said he needs to add scoring. And he's got assets in the AHL he might not have room for next year. A first to protect those assets needed to make another deal? High price, but he can mitigate it with a solid pickup in free agency or trade. And this draft class is kind of weak.

Granted, with this GM, it's a huge IF. But it could come out as looking almost genius. It could also look like "Sign Horton to a contract that is uninsurable" levels of stupid. Time will tell. Organizationally, Calvert and Johnson are obsolete. Milano has a few guys on the depth chart ahead of him and they have a few promising goalies. And some teams lost guys they need to replace yesterday.

The second part of it comes down to the fact that he's got young guys he needs to pay (Anderson, Wennberg this year and Werenski next year. Plus if Gagner wants to stay...) and Clarkson's contract was in the way. If you look at it as a future second rounder to get rid of the self inflicted albatross which gives him flexibility to lure a high value player, and pay guys who've earned it and will be core pieces for a long time that's not so bad either.

I agree and based on the move.I believe Columbus is looking to pursue a trade or free agent signing.By dumping salary and opening a roster spot.In the end they made a move to give them the most potential to do so.

As pertaining to Clarksons contract ,the insurance and cap and roster implications.

"By now Clarkson’s insurance is picking up the tab for most of his salary. If his situation remains unchanged, the Jackets will be on the hook for only 20 percent of his remaining salary each season: $1.4 million in 2017-18, $950,000 in 2018-19 and $650,000 in 2019-20. His $5.25 million salary cap hit will still count, but only until he’s placed on the long-term injury list once the season starts."

If they didn't make this move.It would have made things a lot more difficult.And hand cuffed them while trying to work to add a piece or the pieces they are seeking during the off season. Giving up the pick may feel steep. But its a late first round pick in a draft thats not as deep as years past.But it could have been worse.And if all works out ant the blue jackets are able to get their target. This ends up being a great move in the end. Theres a lot of potential for pay off if it lands them a Duchene who is being shopped.Or another player who doesn't need to be developed. To a Blue Jackets team who is in contention imo.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GM of the Year nominees really outdid themselves. Truly deserving.

giphy.gif

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the ability to trade back I wonder how many of these Vegas will eat a majority of their contracts? If that is the case that seems a lot more like cap circumvention that what the Devils did.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the ability to trade back I wonder how many of these Vegas will eat a majority of their contracts? If that is the case that seems a lot more like cap circumvention that what the Devils did.
Yes but it's sanctioned cap circumvention.

It's like how when you kill somebody it's murder but when a cop says "STOP RESISTING" and unloads the clip in an unarmed minority it's sanctioned murder.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanctioned cap circumvention >>> Violating the spirit of the cap.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my favo(u)rite champ episode is the one where he was at a car dealership looking to purchase a car for Mrs. Champ and the car salesman showed him a few models, but the Champ said he would have to have his wife see the car in person before finalizing a deal. Upon hearing this, the salesman said,

"Champ, why don't you call your wife to come down so we can dicker over the car?"

"I said Pardon?"

Bro Jake does the champ for that local mechanic now ... the latest one icymi

"Hey Champ ... your wifes rear end is sagging and your piston broke"

I SAID PARDON????

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe theyve switched to some revenue recognition shenanigans :noidea:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'm sure these guys want to win a cup but doesn't it make a ton of sense for Vegas to sign Jagr, Doan and/or Iginla? The jersey sales alone would be worth it, you instantly become every fans second or third rooting interest and come the trade deadline you flip them for assets. Why not?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
maybe theyve switched to some revenue recognition shenanigans :noidea:

I think they were counting committed revenue.
"Most of our tickets are multi-year. The lower bowl is three to ten years."

most other teams renew annually methinks.
so on that measure, they may show well
And Winnipeg would have been off the charts in 2011