• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Veach the Reach: The 2018 Chiefs run-stopping Draft

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#46 Breeland Speaks - 'DT' Ole Miss

40: 4.87
10 yd Split: 1.65
3 cone: 7.63
Sparq: 67.5%

Mayock's take: "Teams value his inside-out versatility. I think he can play base end but kick inside on interior sub-packages. He’s got some juice. He’s physical, he’s tough, he’s relentless."

#75 - Derrick Nnadi - NT Florida St

40: Doesn't matter
10 yd Split: Doesn't matter
3 cone: Embarrassing
Bench: 25
Sqarq: 4.6%

Mayock's take: "I think he’s one of the best run defenders in all of college football. He had great eyes."

#100 - Dorian O Daniel - LB/S Clemson

40: 4.61
Short Shuttle: 4.07 (best in class)
3 cone: 6.64 (best in class)
Sparq: 60.4%

Mayock's take: "Kind of looks and runs like a safety. Undersized linebacker goes sideline to sideline. This is a good football player."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going all-in on the run defense. Its definitely a change of pace from the bend-but-don't-break philosophy the Chiefs have been running the past two seasons. Clearly teams like the Steelers and Titans have simply shown that you can just wear out that type of defense and the Chiefs are reaching on run stoppers that can fit into roles in a swiss army defense.

The question becomes: what about the secondary, pass rush and oline? AKA what every other GM values in the draft? I suspect we'll see depth picks at those spots from here on out but you'd have to think that they'll be addressed.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs get a QB and then they get a GM who lights picks on fire like it's not anyone else's business. So much welp right now it's hard to understand

Happy to see Nnadi drafted (a legitimately good pick, imo) but for as much extra capital they gave up to make it happen- they did not get a knockout punch you're looking for. Speaks doesn't give me much confidence watching him. O'Daniel I am warming up to even if most outlets think he's overdrafted significantly and is actually kind of interesting now that I look up some of his combine numbers, but the reaching is out of control and needs to stop real fast or this team is gonna blow it.

Also does this mean KPass at OLB is officially dead already, and is now a Lineman again? This team is so confused as far as this draft goes. Besides the reach itself (strike 1)I don't care if they thought Speaks was incredibly better than the next best passrusher (he's not, so strike 2) they were plenty of DB's that would have been more helpful than X defender, and that's strike 3. Speaks I am not sure is even a good run defender the more I hear and see from him.

Already seeing some (desperate comparisons) to Jones when

A) The Chiefs traded down, not up, and got Jones
B) Jones' Tape is significantly better from what I am seeing

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs get a QB and then they get a GM who lights picks on fire like it's not anyone else's business. So much welp right now it's hard to understand

Happy to see Nnadi drafted (a legitimately good pick, imo) but for as much extra capital they gave up to make it happen- they did not get a knockout punch you're looking for. Speaks doesn't give me much confidence watching him. O'Daniel I am warming up to even if most outlets think he's overdrafted significantly and is actually kind of interesting now that I look up some of his combine numbers, but the reaching is out of control and needs to stop real fast or this team is gonna blow it.

Also does this mean KPass at OLB is officially dead already, and is now a Lineman again? This team is so confused as far as this draft goes. Besides the reach itself (strike 1)I don't care if they thought Speaks was incredibly better than the next best passrusher (he's not, so strike 2) they were plenty of DB's that would have been more helpful than X defender, and that's strike 3. Speaks I am not sure is even a good run defender the more I hear and see from him.

Already seeing some (desperate comparisons) to Jones when

A) The Chiefs traded down, not up, and got Jones
B) Jones' Tape is significantly better from what I am seeing
I think my current grading when factoring in the trades is:

D- on Speaks, B+ on Nnadi, B+ on O'Daniel.

The secondary players they passed up to take Speaks are pretty crazy. They could've had Oliver or Davis or the S from Stanford or the S from Alabama. Speaks is purely a 'trust us' pick which is hard to see with a new GM. Speaks could end up performing, though. His athleticism seems legit and if you trust the coaching then it could definitely work out. I think he fits squarely in the boom or bust category. He is either going to be an important cog in the Chiefs defense or a complete bust imo.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs are in way too good of a spot in the AFC longterm to screw this up...

They sure are trying- and the Broncos didn't even draft Mayfield.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs are in way too good of a spot in the AFC longterm to screw this up...

They sure are trying- and the Broncos didn't even draft Mayfield.
The Broncos had a very solid draft but I'd agree that it wasn't a game changer unless Paxton Lynch turns the corner.

Chargers on the other hand are bringing mostly the same team from last year except they'll have Derwin James in addition to working on their run defense and getting Forrest Lamp back from injury. I feel like they have a 2 year run in the AFC West in them where they should challenge for a Super Bowl if Phillip Rivers can stop choking.

Raiders seem aggressively mediocre. They seem like a team that is going to flounder in the 7-9 win range for the next half a decade.

Chiefs look like they're in the driver's seat but they really, really need Fuller be to a Pro Bowl talent at CB, Justin Houston to stay healthy and Eric Berry to stay healthy. This draft doesn't seem to be about building key components for the future. It seems to be about filling in gaps for Super Bowl runs in the next 2-4 years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of Chiefs fans are a little frustrated with trading up but keep in mind the NFL draft value chart.

The Breeland Speaks and Derrick Nnadi picks combined are worth roughly the same value as the Steelers pick of Terrell Edmunds. Trading up for Mahomes is probably close to half of the value in this draft even with the extra picks the Chiefs picked up.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#124 - Armani Watts - FS Texas A&M

40: 4.64
10 yd split: 1.64
3 cone: 7.09/7.25
Vert: 35"
Broad: 120"
Sparq: 12.8%

Various opinions: Elite instincts, feast or famine, playmaker, poor tackler, above average cover skills

Sounds like a Darian Stewart type

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#196 - Tremon Smith - CB Central Arkansas

40: 4.38
10 yd split: 1.5
3 cone: 7.03
Vert: 34"
Broad: 119"
Sparq: 63.5%

Various opinions: Bad level of competition but he has a super high ceiling, high football IQ, good ball skills, maybe takes too many risks.

#198 - Kahlil McKenzie - 'DT' Tennessee

6'3" 314lbs
31 1/2" arms
26 Bench

Chiefs plan: Take the son of the Raiders GM and convert him into a Guard. This seems like the definition of a hail mary pick but I wouldn't totally rule it out.