• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vanderbilt's Damian Jones signs with agent, enters NBA draft

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where will he end up?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If this is how he's projected then I'm utterly shocked he declared, especially considering they have an exciting new coach and he had a chance to come back, get better, finish his degree and shine in a Ben Simmons-free conference. At the very least he shouldn't have signed.

Maybe the agent is promising to raise his stock and promising to hone his skills at a California camp?

If I'm Damian Jones, I'm disappointed in hindsight that I played at Vandy because of Kevin Stallings.

I know people who know Damian and he's really smart (perfect GPA at the engineering school), really nice and considerate and never, ever parties.

I'm shocked. I'll admit that. And I wonder why the local radio guys aren't talking about this. I've been in a cocoon I guess. They had us believing this guy was a possible lottery pick.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is how he's projected then I'm utterly shocked he declared, especially considering they have an exciting new coach and he had a chance to come back, get better, finish his degree and shine in a Ben Simmons-free conference. At the very least he shouldn't have signed.

Maybe the agent is promising to raise his stock and promising to hone his skills at a California camp?

If I'm Damian Jones, I'm disappointed in hindsight that I played at Vandy because of Kevin Stallings.

I know people who know Damian and he's really smart (perfect GPA at the engineering school), really nice and considerate and never, ever parties.

I'm shocked. I'll admit that. And I wonder why the local radio guys aren't talking about this. I've been in a cocoon I guess. They had us believing this guy was a possible lottery pick.

I haven't seen anything that is suggesting he will be a top 20 pick, doesn't mean he can't get there though. I honestly thought he under performed a bit this past season, but some of that might be due to the coaching, which I didn't think was particularly good for Vandy this season. Vandy had top 15/20 talent this year and played more like the 45th best team in the country.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen anything that is suggesting he will be a top 20 pick, doesn't mean he can't get there though. I honestly thought he under performed a bit this past season, but some of that might be due to the coaching, which I didn't think was particularly good for Vandy this season. Vandy had top 15/20 talent this year and played more like the 45th best team in the country.

He entered the season a consensus lottery pick and ended up a second-rounder. To a man the players were frustrated with Kevin Stallings.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He entered the season a consensus lottery pick and ended up a second-rounder. To a man the players were frustrated with Kevin Stallings.

You would know more than I. Just from an outsiders perspective everyone across the board failed to live up to expectation, but that starts with the coach. Vandy definitely upgraded this off season with their head coach.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a nice gamble there.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do with pro coaching.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a nice gamble there.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do with pro coaching.

Obvious need based on his current skillset (lack of a shot) is to bulk up and improve FT %. Another inch of height would also go a long way in the NBA.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. Late 1st early 2nd seems good for him.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
19. DAMIAN JONES: C, VANDERBILT, 6-11, 250, 20 YEARS OLD
2105182.jpg
Scouting Profile: Jones has not officially declared yet, but he said to theTennessean he believes he is "NBA-ready." Plus, he also said before that his plan was to declare for the draft after the season. Overall though, he had a bit of a disappointing year at Vandy this season, averaging 13.9 points and 6.9 rebounds. The numbers are fine and his athleticism and mobility at his size are superb, but Jones simply hasn't really shown much improvement over the course of his years in college. His feel for the game is relatively low, he's not quite the rebounder you want him to be, and you can move him off of his spot relatively easily due to his higher center of gravity. Personally, I do not rate Jones as a first-round pick. But there are certainly some teams that do, and he could find a place in the top 30 by the time it's all done.

Hiring Agent? Yes

Draft range: No. 18 to No. 45

credit - some dickhead at seeBS

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-League

Great talent but not strong enough to play consistently in the NBA... right now anyway.

That said, I would take him over Skal right now for sure. They'll both end up in the D-League for a while in my opinion.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-League

Great talent but not strong enough to play consistently in the NBA... right now anyway.

I'm not going to argue with that, unless he makes major strides in LA this summer.

I'm still puzzled by this. It actually made more sense for him to exit after his sophomore season than now.