• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vance McDonald TE - ***new Steeler***

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRADE: 49ers Trade TE Vance McDonald & 5th-Rd Pick To Steelers For 4th-Rd Pick | NFLTradeRumors.co

The Steelers have traded a '18 4th rounder for McDonald and a '18 5th rounder from SF.

I can't say I've seen a ton of the 9ers lately, but McDonald's stat line imo lags considerably behind his talent level...(QB I think had something to do with that). Hopefully he can click well with Ben early...if so I expect him to be a big factor on this team this yr.

He becomes a lot more expensive next yr, so it's great to kick the tires at his '17 price tag...no dead money issues to worry about next yr.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious why they think they needed an upgrade in the first place? I thought the TE positions were pretty much locked down. Does this push D-Johnson out the door? James is a lock, and I don't think they want to give up Grimble's athletic abilities.

If they keep 4 TE's, then a CB or RB is getting the axe off the 53. Those are the only positions I can see dropping a number.

Like I said in the other thread, more information to come this week or next should bring this into focus.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Gary Barnidge is still out there in FA right? Maybe he was asking too much but I don't recall ever hearing about the Steelers showing interest.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ATL96Steeler - in regards to your post in the other thread...

I understand the possibility for an upgrade, but do they really think it was necessary to give up a 4th Rd pick? Maybe they feel confident they will get a compensatory pick for losing Timmons? I feel confident enough in James not to need this trade, but as always we don't know the half of it. I'll trust the coaches know what they are doing.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about this trade. I'm guessing X and Outlaw are locks in the 53. Did they not feel confident in David Johnson? If so, was it worth, in the end, just dropping a 4th round pick for a 5th round pick? I mean, we re-signed him for a reason. I'm not getting this trade. It's definitely a head scratcher.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about this trade. I'm guessing X and Outlaw are locks in the 53. Did they not feel confident in David Johnson? If so, was it worth, in the end, just dropping a 4th round pick for a 5th round pick? I mean, we re-signed him for a reason. I'm not getting this trade. It's definitely a head scratcher.
There is still the possibility that we are not getting the full picture. Could be an injury that hasn't surfaced.

But like I said above, they could feel pretty confident in getting a compensatory pick in the '18 draft for losing Timmons. Could be as high as a 3rd Rd pick or better depending on how many snaps LT takes.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the headlines wrong and thought the Steelers just landed Joe Haden. That didn't happen. No clue about this McDonald guy but 49er fans are saying he can't catch. Seems like an issue for a non-blocking TE. Rather they just stick with James.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ATL96Steeler - in regards to your post in the other thread...

I understand the possibility for an upgrade, but do they really think it was necessary to give up a 4th Rd pick? Maybe they feel confident they will get a compensatory pick for losing Timmons? I feel confident enough in James not to need this trade, but as always we don't know the half of it. I'll trust the coaches know what they are doing.

I wish I had more ammo in support of this trade, but I don't.

I don't see it as a bad trade or a good trade at this point...we'll have to see how it works out, but they will definitely get a comp pick for LT.

The worst thing about the TE corp before this trade...depending on who is in the game I think Haley tips his hand to the play. If DJ is in there, 80% (arbitrary high figure here) of the time it's probably going to be a run...I would say the opposite for Grimble...couple that with them just not being all in on JJ led them to this trade.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JJ...we look at him at still progressing, still growing as a pass catcher and blocker, but he's not a legit TE1.

Grimble...ditto, still developing.

DJ...he is what he is...a 6th OL...McDonald, noted to be a solid blocker, makes him more of a liability imo.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRADE: 49ers Trade TE Vance McDonald & 5th-Rd Pick To Steelers For 4th-Rd Pick | NFLTradeRumors.co

The Steelers have traded a '18 4th rounder for McDonald and a '18 5th rounder from SF.

I can't say I've seen a ton of the 9ers lately, but McDonald's stat line imo lags considerably behind his talent level...(QB I think had something to do with that). Hopefully he can click well with Ben early...if so I expect him to be a big factor on this team this yr.

He becomes a lot more expensive next yr, so it's great to kick the tires at his '17 price tag...no dead money issues to worry about next yr.
Watched him his whole career. He really is physically gifted. He is fast and very Athletic but he has stone hands. He frequently drops easily catchable balls and kills drives. He had the worst drop rate among eligible tight ends over the past four years. We have been frustrated waiting for him to turn this around. If the Steelers can get some more consistency out of him, you will have a really good tight end. His other issue is not being able to stay healthy. Seems every year he misses multiple games to injury.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched him his whole career. He really is physically gifted. He is fast and very Athletic but he has stone hands. He frequently drops easily catchable balls and kills drives. He had the worst drop rate among eligible tight ends over the past four years. We have been frustrated waiting for him to turn this around. If the Steelers can get some more consistency out of him, you will have a really good tight end. His other issue is not being able to stay healthy. Seems every year he misses multiple games to injury.

Thanks...yeah that's mostly what I've been hearing from 9er fans....I'm not sure if Jessie James is as talented, but that's largely been his problem...inconsistency, but it's blocking and pass catching.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, read that one also.
Perhaps it's an expensive "light a fire under these guys" move?
The only person that has been concerning me is Jesse James dropping so many passes this preseason. I think he'll be fine during the season though. If I were Tomlin I would be more concerned about my secondary than a "non-varsity" TE corps.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine also made a really good point on the value of this trade. Essentially they might only be moving back 10-15 picks overall. If you assume the Steelers finish somewhere in the 28-32nd pick range (obviously hoping for 32!), and the 49ers near the front end 1-8, then that's not a very big move. It's almost as if the Steelers traded back & acquired a player.

In other words the Steelers got McDonald for the difference between what we hope is a very late 4th round pick from us and a (probably) much higher 5th round pick from San Francisco.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only person that has been concerning me is Jesse James dropping so many passes this preseason. I think he'll be fine during the season though. If I were Tomlin I would be more concerned about my secondary than a "non-varsity" TE corps.
Vance can run, but he won't be an improvement on hands. He's a dropper himself.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance can run, but he won't be an improvement on hands. He's a dropper himself.

True...without seeing many of his games, I assume some passes were just flatout drops, but I hopefully a future HOF QB can help there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine also made a really good point on the value of this trade. Essentially they might only be moving back 10-15 picks overall. If you assume the Steelers finish somewhere in the 28-32nd pick range (obviously hoping for 32!), and the 49ers near the front end 1-8, then that's not a very big move. It's almost as if the Steelers traded back & acquired a player.

In other words the Steelers got McDonald for the difference between what we hope is a very late 4th round pick from us and a (probably) much higher 5th round pick from San Francisco.

Plus the CH number works for this season...if he's a factor, he'll be worth the higher cap hit in '18...if he's not, let him go and no further damage done.

With 1100+ players getting released here within the next 72 hours or so, do you wait, or try to make a deal and get a guy that can help via trade?

CB...I'm getting the sense the staff is not all in on Cockrell...can he flip the script and play better for week 1...IDK, but right now, I'm expecting OCs to go after Gay, Cockrell, or try to get VWil in coverage...also that 3rd question mark has not really been answered yet.

Are we to assume VWil comes off for CB3?

CB market...We've talked about Kyle Fuller in CHI...obviously CLE is shopping Haden...I like the Fuller trade option for Hunter the best of what I've seen so far, but I'm guessing at least one or two starting caliber CBs (incl Haden) will hit the market via FA also.

Do they stand pat? Or do they go after another outside CB?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus the CH number works for this season...if he's a factor, he'll be worth the higher cap hit in '18...if he's not, let him go and no further damage done.

With 1100+ players getting released here within the next 72 hours or so, do you wait, or try to make a deal and get a guy that can help via trade?

CB...I'm getting the sense the staff is not all in on Cockrell...can he flip the script and play better for week 1...IDK, but right now, I'm expecting OCs to go after Gay, Cockrell, or try to get VWil in coverage...also that 3rd question mark has not really been answered yet.

Are we to assume VWil comes off for CB3?

CB market...We've talked about Kyle Fuller in CHI...obviously CLE is shopping Haden...I like the Fuller trade option for Hunter the best of what I've seen so far, but I'm guessing at least one or two starting caliber CBs (incl Haden) will hit the market via FA also.

Do they stand pat? Or do they go after another outside CB?
I think we know the answer now! HOly Hell!

Welcome aboard Haden!