• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Van Gundy Rips NCAA/NBA

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"People that were against [players] coming out [of high school] made a lot of excuses, but I think a lot of it was racist. I've never heard anybody go up in arms about [minor league baseball or hockey]," Van Gundy told reporters. "They are not making big money, and they're white kids primarily and nobody has a problem."

"But all of a sudden you've got a black kid that wants to come out of high school and make millions. That's a bad decision, but bypassing college to go play for $800 a month in minor league baseball? That's a fine decision? What the hell is going on?" - SVG

That shit was SPOT on IMO. The one and done rule should have never been instituted in the 1st place. And of course the stuff about the NCAA was correct.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"People that were against [players] coming out [of high school] made a lot of excuses, but I think a lot of it was racist. I've never heard anybody go up in arms about [minor league baseball or hockey]," Van Gundy told reporters. "They are not making big money, and they're white kids primarily and nobody has a problem."

"But all of a sudden you've got a black kid that wants to come out of high school and make millions. That's a bad decision, but bypassing college to go play for $800 a month in minor league baseball? That's a fine decision? What the hell is going on?" - SVG

That shit was SPOT on IMO. The one and done rule should have never been instituted in the 1st place. And of course the stuff about the NCAA was correct.

Baseball and Hockey have tremendous farm systems. Basketball doesn't. College basketball is big money, college baseball and college hockey aren't. College basketball has been the NBA's farm system for a very long time. These are pretty important details that Van Gundy is ignoring, which is why I don't take his claim of "that's racist" very seriously.

With that said, OAD rule is stupid, and has had a negative impact on the game in the U.S.

Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, John Wall and Anthony Davis should have not have been forced to play college basketball. They should have been able to play professional for big money in their home country. Those five guys are just off the top of my head.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball and Hockey have tremendous farm systems. Basketball doesn't. College basketball is big money, college baseball and college hockey aren't. College basketball has been the NBA's farm system for a very long time. These are pretty important details that Van Gundy is ignoring, which is why I don't take his claim of "that's racist" very seriously.

With that said, OAD rule is stupid, and has had a negative impact on the game in the U.S.

Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, John Wall and Anthony Davis should have not have been forced to play college basketball. They should have been able to play professional for big money in their home country. Those five guys are just off the top of my head.

I agree with your first part completely, the racist portion of his statement may have come off as strong, but I do think there is some merit. And, I agree college basketball is big money, but you're right the players shouldn't be at fault, and the OAD shouldn't be forced upon kids.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can do that though.

They can play overseas, like the Ball Brothers and Brandon Jennings and the Muidiay. It's not like they have NO options if they want to start making $.

I think that they should go to the NFL rule because it makes both sports better. And basketball players have much better options than football players do.

Nobody complains about football players not being able to turn pro early. I wonder why that is. :noidea:

Also, a kid could just bum out for a year. And then collect his payday then. It's only a year.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have the G-league which is not a bad farm system at all and in a year or 2, all 30 teams will have their own G-league team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can do that though.

They can play overseas, like the Ball Brothers and Brandon Jennings and the Muidiay. It's not like they have NO options if they want to start making $.

I think that they should go to the NFL rule because it makes both sports better. And basketball players have much better options than football players do.

Nobody complains about football players not being able to turn pro early. I wonder why that is. :noidea:

Also, a kid could just bum out for a year. And then collect his payday then. It's only a year.

I always thought one and done should disappear. My rule would be you allow players to go to the draft directly from HS but if they go to College then they must stay at least 2 years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your first part completely, the racist portion of his statement may have come off as strong, but I do think there is some merit. And, I agree college basketball is big money, but you're right the players shouldn't be at fault, and the OAD shouldn't be forced upon kids.
I think race has a bit to do with it but its definitely about money.

The current system benefits the schools and the NBA a lot. It doesn't benefit the players as much as a system that allows more freedom. Thats America in a nutshell. Some players still get theirs obviously but its a system designed to sustain the system. If hockey made a ton more money and had young players that were more marketable than maybe college hockey would be a mess, too.

Basketball is an accessible spectator sport and a spectacular display of athleticism. Money is always going to be a huge part of the sport because there are going to be a very small number of people that can generate a very large amount of money. The fact that most of them are black is something that should cause controversy because of how poorly America has treated the African-American population.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The farm systems are the difference, you nailed it.

At the same time I can't say I agree with preventing players from declaring out of high school. In reality the franchises are going to suffer for going all in on Stromile Swift and missing on KG.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College hockey players are often property of an NHL club.
Here's the current list:

NHL Draft Picks Playing College Hockey - College Hockey, Inc.

It's not an option college basketball players have. And that's on top of the numerous levels of minor league hockey. The NBA saves money like crazy by having tNCAA as a feeder system. So does the NFL.

Can't blame them, folks keep eating up the dirty college product likes it's going out of style.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the G-league which is not a bad farm system at all and in a year or 2, all 30 teams will have their own G-league team.

It doesn't compare to the farm systems in baseball and hockey. The fact that it is 2018 and there are teams in the NBA that don't have a feeder team speaks volumes. They have the potential to build up the G-League when the NBA mans up and eliminates the OAD rule.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Football and basketball are the HUGHE revenue producers. I think this is more economic than racists. But, I am also not naive enough to think if the majority of kids with the chance to profit off the sport were white, we'd have something completely different.

This is just my opinion. All entities change their rules. A kid 100% chooses the college experience for all four years or chooses money directly our of high school. And all decisions are final! Piss on OAD, TAD, ThAD

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OAD is primarily because the NCAA tends to make a few billion dollars milking the top players in the tournament.
NBA doesn't need these guys as a rule and really has the incentive to wait because the OAD player brings along a fan following. The players don't benefit much from it either way. I don't agree with claims that it's overtly racist, though the top players in the basketball programs are typically black. I'd be asking that question if I were Van Gundy.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, one and done compromises the whole student athlete process. If college schools are just farm systems then let players play even after their senior year and pay players instead of just having all of the 2nd tier guys going overseas or wasting their talents selling insurance.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got the perfect solution. If kids don't want to go to college for a year (should've been 2-and-done, IMO) then they can declare for the draft. One caveat.....they don't go directly to the NBA, they go straight to the G-League. Play a year or 2 there, then you can play with the big boys.

Also, it's the NBAPA that doesn't want kids going directly from HS to the NBA. I wish these allegedly smart experts would blast the real culprit in all of this, but I know why they won't.