• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Valentine is AP Player of the year. Self is AP COTY

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valentine edges Hield for AP Player of Year

HOUSTON -- The names Denzel Valentine and Buddy Hield have been virtually inseparable during college basketball's postseason.

The national player of the year awards have gone to one or the other without anybody else getting any hardware.

Valentine was selected Thursday as The Associated Press' Player of the Year, taking it in a close vote over Hield.

Bill Self of Kansas was chosen the AP's Coach of the Year with Xavier's Chris Mack finishing second.

"We spent time together this summer at a basketball camp, and we built a relationship,'' Valentine said of his fellow senior.

"During the season we would give each other words of encouragement,'' Valentine said. "He was first person to text me when I got hurt, and I thought that was pretty big time of him. He deserves everything he's getting.''

Valentine, who missed four games after having minor knee surgery, received 34 of 65 votes from the national media panel that selects the weekly AP Top 25. Hield was the only other player to receive votes. Hield and Valentine were the only unanimous selections to the AP All-America team.

The 6-foot-5 Valentine led Michigan State (29-6) to a second-place finish in the Big Ten regular season and was the conference player of the year. He averaged 19.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.6 assists while directing the Spartans' offense. He shot 44.7 percent from 3-point range and 85.3 percent from the free throw line.

The Spartans were ranked No. 1 for four weeks and finished second in the final AP Top 25. They lost to Middle Tennessee State in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

"The last two weeks have been tough and it's hard to duck the tournament. It's wherever you go,'' said Valentine, the first Michigan State player to win the award. "You go into a restaurant and a game's on. You just can't duck it.''

Both Valentine and Self said they would give up their awards to be on a team playing at the Final Four where they were presented their trophies.

"You want to get here,'' Valentine said. "You talk about it all season, and it's what every team plays for.''

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Valentines game but there is no way he should have won this award. He honestly shouldn't even have been B10 POY

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this was a joke. No way he should of won it. Oh well.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Valentine's good and all but he shouldn't have got the award (Should have been Hield)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further evidence as to way society around us is falling apart.

Way too many idiots being allowed to factor into decision making processes.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of these make sense to me. Huggins was the probably the best coach in the Big 12 this year. Xavier goes from preseason unranked to a fixture in the Top 10.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Valentine. I would have givien COY to Kruger.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Valentine. I would have givien COY to Kruger.

:clap:
took guts to say that...
considering so many of the site's cbb mavens had judged otherwise.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valentine averaged 19.4 PPG/7.6 APG/7.6 RPG. Also shot at 46% overall and 44% from deep. That is an absolutely a great year and deserving of NPOY honors.

Glad that Valentine won the AP and Hield won the Wooden. Both players deserved hardware for their outstanding seasons.

Reactions: H2S

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a travesty how incompetent the AP is.

This is almost as bad as them going with hansbrough over Beasley.

Especially since Valentine missed time. Hield and Brice Johnson were both more deserving. Idk why Brice got no love this year.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valentine averaged 19.4 PPG/7.6 APG/7.6 RPG. Also shot at 46% overall and 44% from deep. That is an absolutely a great year and deserving of NPOY honors.

Glad that Valentine won the AP and Hield won the Wooden. Both players deserved hardware for their outstanding seasons.

Absolutely - Buddy was a great scorer, but Valentine filled the stats sheet to historic levels. Either would have been perfectly acceptable, so the split in hardware was fair and made absolute sense. People here are opposed to this for what reason, exactly? A single poor game that ended the season? Morons. This has to be the least-informed college basketball forum out there, which is why I only come here around tourney time, mostly to laugh at the foolishness. I'm sure there are more "experts" here than amongst the ranks of the AP voters, LOL...must be why they get paid and all of you spend time writhing around on this clown board for free. Wake the F up.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely - Buddy was a great scorer, but Valentine filled the stats sheet to historic levels. Either would have been perfectly acceptable, so the split in hardware was fair and made absolute sense. People here are opposed to this for what reason, exactly? A single poor game that ended the season? Morons. This has to be the least-informed college basketball forum out there, which is why I only come here around tourney time, mostly to laugh at the foolishness. I'm sure there are more "experts" here than amongst the ranks of the AP voters, LOL...must be why they get paid and all of you spend time writhing around on this clown board for free. Wake the F up.

he also missed significant time and you could make the case that Brice Johnson was better than both.

No way, zero percent chance, that he was better without that time off than a full season of Brice.

Now that I've defended a tar heel....i need to go shower...until june.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Valentines game but there is no way he should have won this award. He honestly shouldn't even have been B10 POY

Who do you think should have been BigTen POY?

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Exactly. Who exactly would agree with anyone over Valentine for BigTen POY other than someone who carries some rivalry bias within the conference? Ridiculous.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think should have been BigTen POY?

I'm curious who is his answer for B10POY is.

But since he missed time it shouldn't have even been a discussion. Hield and Johnson should've taken any major POY award.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he also missed significant time and you could make the case that Brice Johnson was better than both.

No way, zero percent chance, that he was better without that time off than a full season of Brice.

Now that I've defended a tar heel....i need to go shower...until june.

His time away and their performance during the recoup period hammer his value completely. Remember, they were undefeated in nonconference play, dropped some games while Valentine was away and working his way back, and looked close to unstoppable until that bizarre first round KO. Brice is a great college player, but he didn't mean as much to his team, nor did he have the impact via observable stats, as Valentine.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His time away and their performance during the recoup period hammer his value completely. Remember, they were undefeated in nonconference play, dropped some games while Valentine was away and working his way back, and looked close to unstoppable until that bizarre first round KO. Brice is a great college player, but he didn't mean as much to his team, nor did he have the impact via observable stats, as Valentine.

The stats don't back that up.

They went 3-1 with him out. That loss was to Iowa by 13.

After he came back they lost 3 in a row, including to Iowa by 16.

5 of their 6 losses were with Valentine healthy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious who is his answer for B10POY is.

But since he missed time it shouldn't have even been a discussion. Hield and Johnson should've taken any major POY award.

Good call about Johnson. He led the Tar Heels to the ACC regular season & tourney titles. He also set a Carolina record for most double-doubles in a season. And Hield just had an incredible season.