• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC < = > Oregon

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll signed with the Seahawks while USC was going through NCAA investigations that ultimately led to the program receiving probation and other disciplinary actions. He has been maligned by many for this.

So, will Chip Kelly have the same reputation coming into the NFL with similar circumstances? Or, is Pete Carroll's reputation (and ire from opposing fans) have more to do with his immediate success since leaving USC?

Just thought I'd throw it out there to see what others think about it.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey blstoker, glad to see a familiar member from the CBS boards. I was Seahawks_8 on the other boards, but updated to 3 for obvious reasons. Hopefully we can get a few more of the fellas over here and get this started like what we had over there.

Anyway, I think the severity of the sanctions will dictate overall in the court of public opinion. If Oregon isn't hit with as heavy of Sanctions as USC was then I think he'll make the transition a little easier on himself. Plus, Pete has a certain arrogance that tends to rub people the wrong way; I couldn't stand him until he came to the Hawks. Once you see he's a good dude that the players like to play for, and all of the community work that he does it's hard to think negative on the guy. Though, he'll never live down those sanctions to the hardcore college fans.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey 3, Good to see someone. I was afraid no one else would show up, so I also added a profile at mudncleats.com, where there are a lot of CBS people, just none from Seattle's board.

I think that Oregon's sanctions will be less because when it became evident that the NCAA was investigating they immediately went into negotiations with them to keep the sanctions low, whereas USC denied any knowledge of the infractions. If you read what Oregon has been doing, it screams major violations, yet the NCAA reports that no major violation was committed.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll signed with the Seahawks while USC was going through NCAA investigations that ultimately led to the program receiving probation and other disciplinary actions. He has been maligned by many for this.

So, will Chip Kelly have the same reputation coming into the NFL with similar circumstances? Or, is Pete Carroll's reputation (and ire from opposing fans) have more to do with his immediate success since leaving USC?

Just thought I'd throw it out there to see what others think about it.

Personally I don't think Chip Kelly will be as successful in the NFL. He ran a gimmick offense in college and who knows what he's going to run in the NFL? Pete Carroll in comparison run a Pro-Offense in college and quite honestly made his reputation on the back of his superior recruiting skills and outstanding ability to get the best out of players.

Pete Carroll does not seem to be the most brilliant "football guy", i.e. his time management has really sucked at the NFL level and he does not call plays but he seems to have a superior eye for talent and is a great motivator.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I would also like to state that any advantage USC may have had for sketchy recruitment tactics I can honestly say it goes double for Oregon. Call me a biased UW fan but I firmly believe that Oregon's deep connection with Nike is a huge advantage for them.

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the difference will be what Chip is found guilty of. Pete was never found guilty of any wrong doing.